Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

My Taco

Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco

Here is the closest pic i have of it stock, I slapped the all pro bumpers f/r and the winch off my old jeep! I bought the truck as a DD while i built the jeep, i had no intention of wheeling it. Took it offroad once, and sold the jeep 2 weeks later!

old jeep that i sold that has funded 80% of my buildup:

Wheeled the for a while and needed new tires so i lifted it.
Before:

After:

I put OME 882s with rear 8 leaf deavers, 1inch lift shackle, a ubolt flip, and bfg 255/85/16 kms. I had the soft OME shocks out back, but i broke them off the mount at take over, and i decided to replace them with some bilstein 5100's. I have been very pleased with this combo and have no complaints.
Breaking it in

Well i decided that i needed a crawl box after stalling my truck and rolling backwards down a 50 foot hill my clutch hated me as well! I bought a some marlin adapters used, a toy case, and some 4.7 gears and built my crawler. I could not be happier with this setup!! It was a relatively easy project and i enjoyed it and glad i built it! I will snap some pics of the setup in the truck some time soon. PM me with any questions!! I am also kicking around the idea of a front ARB, but probably wont do it until i decide if im going to SAS it. Other than that i could not be happier with the setup now! The truck will go up anything i point it at and is reliable as hell!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Heres some pics of my latest mod. Its a lefty with a crawler bolted to it! The crawler has the stock 2.28:1 gears in it, 23 spline, mated with an MC07 XD to the lefty. The lefty has 23spline, 4.7:1 gears, the Advanced adapters low range housing, and marlin 30spline main shaft. I will also be installing RAD designs triple sticks, because i want my cup holders back. I will most likely be making a custom center console as well. Didn't get any pics of the install since it was spread over 4weeks (don't ask parts problems and it sucks living here!) and my camera was in mexico on a family trip. I also slapped a marlin clutch in as well.

Got the lefty and duals in, wired up the ADD to a switch (that's the red switch you see in the pic) and got the triple sticks in. I need to figure out a way to get the left stick to clear the gear shifter when the case in lo and the tranny is in 2nd or 4th. This is the RAD design triple stick kit, this is mated to a lefty so don't pm me asking how i got it to fit on a chain drive taco kit it may or may not fit i don't know!!

And look no more tcase hanging down, the lefty is pretty much tucked up to the frame rails, it hangs down maybe a half inch below them. It wasn't worth my time to clock it, it already barely fits under the truck.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
slander's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my clapped out rear suspension, my 6 year old 8 leaf deavers finally gave up on life. The truck sagged 2.5"s more on the drivers side than the passenger side, and the springs were badly wrapped from years of wheeling with no bumpstops and a crawler with no traction bar. I picked up a set of all pro expo leafs for a smokin deal on TTORA. The expo leafs would be WAY too stiff for my application, so i pulled 2 leafs out of the springs packs. I also ordered a new set of u bolts, and spring plates from ruff stuff. On with the pics:
Side by side comparison of the deavers and the expo leafs:

Side shot after the install:

Shot of the springs, not a fan of the shackle angle but it should sag down.

It still leans about an inch more on the drivers side. May be that i tweaked the frame flopping it in Harlan to that side 2 years ago.

The springs flex okay, a bit stiff, but they should break in after a few trips. It is nice not bottoming out on whoops in the road, and offroad i can get on the gas a bit and hit some good size holes, and the rear does not hit the bumps even with the bed loaded. I also have cut the axle wrap by 95% on the street, the yokes are no longer slapping into each other on the rear drive shaft.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Mounted up my bilstein 12" short body 7100 shocks and shock mounts through the bed last night. We cut a f250 shock mount in half and welded that to the rear frame after cutting holes in the bed. I also welded a new passenger side shock mount on the axle, moving it to the back of the axle. We failed to take into account the shock angle, so the bushings are bound up pretty good, but i am going to get some heims and that should fix it, it just sucks because the ones that came with the shocks got buggered up when i was pounding them out. I mounted the resi's to my pro comp spare mount, nice and subtle!!

I trimmed the bed sides down, and the next mods are an exo cage, and an SAS swap with either an FJ60 axle or a dana 60.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, keep it up, I hope to start mine soon if I ever get enough money between brake downs to rebuild my engine.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
slander's Tacoma Gallery
I built a new bumper since i high clearenced my bedsides. I used the all pro bumper as the "base". Its not pretty but hey it will work. I need to add some angled square tube behind the tailight and it will be done. It was 330am on Friday when i finished this so i decided this will be for another day. Its made out of 2x2 .120wall tubeing.