1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96blacktaco build thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by 96blacktacoma, May 1, 2014.

1. May 1, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    96blacktacoma

96blacktacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Yakima roof racks Yakima sst stretch kit Yakima loadwarrior basket rack Blacked emblems Kenwood dnx570hd head unit Kicker door speakers Hertz ecx 165 rear speakers JL audio 8" w3 subwoofer Husky floor mats Red led interior lighting Kc longrange lights 3" led light pods Custom bed bar 4' firestik antenna midland handheld cb Hi-lift jack 265/75/16 Bfg AT on FJ trail teams rims Ome 881 coils Nitrocharger sport shocks Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    ****SOLD****

[​IMG]

Well I've been lurking here for a while and had started to do more and more to the truck so I decided to make a build thread, I realize it's not the biggest build, but I still wanted to make one to inspire/help/entertain anyone who may be interested! Feel free to comment :)

Interior- red led dash, ac panel, gear shift lights. JL 8" subwoofer. Kenwood xr400-4 amp. Kenwood dnx570hd head unit. Rockford Fosgate punch p165s component front door speakers powered by amp with tweeters custom mounted in top of door panel. Husky floor mats.Hertz ecx165.5 rear speakers. Midland handheld cb transceiver.

Exterior- black emblems (spray paint) black fender flares (plasit-dip). Rear frame swap (more info below). Yakima sst towers and crossbars. Yakima loadwarrior basket rack, Shovel mounted. Yakima sst stretch. Arb shackles. FJ trail team rims w/ 265/75/16 bf goodrich all terrain. Custom bed bar (similar to the relentless bed bar) hi lift jack and firestik 4' cb antenna mounted. Bestop supertop. Old man emu 881 coils. Nitrocharger sport shocks front and rear. Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive add a leaf.

Future mods
    Front and rear bumpers (arb,all pro)
    Trail gear rock sliders

I purchased my 1996 toyota tacoma lx 4x4 with 58,000 original miles from Baltimore Maryland in November of 2013.
    First picture when I got it:
    [​IMG]

First thing I did was put on a set of yakima sst towers and crossbars i got on craigslist [​IMG]

Not a modification, but next thing I did was plasti dip black the front and side emblems, and the factory chrome fender flares. (Ended up removing the plasti dip on the side emblems due to pealing)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then came across a great local craigslist find: yakima loadwarrior rack, brand new!
    [​IMG]

I mounted it using a used sst stretch kit I found on ebay for cheap.
    I also threw on a pair of kc long range lights I had (but didn't wire quite yet)
    url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/402373/cat/500][​IMG][/url]

Next thing I did was swap my dash, gear shift, and ac panel lights to red LEDs ordered from superbriteleds
    [​IMG]

I then got the sound system hooked up. Jvc head unit, kicker door speakers, and alpine 8" type r subwoofer (from audiosavings and crutchfield) (completely different now)
    [​IMG]

Finally wired up the kcs, very bright. although there is a pretty bad glare.
    [​IMG]

Then came the big fix. Due to frame rot on the rear of the truck, we replaced the rear portion of the frame (from the cab back) and a ton of new parts (leaf springs, shocks, brake sensing valve, u bolts, and all kinds of misc. bolts) the new frame was yet another local Craigslist find. The old frame was cut in half from the cab back and the new half of the frame was mounted up, welded, and reinforced.
    [​IMG]

Next I painted my factory 15" rims gunmetal with dupli color graphite wheel paint I picked up at advance auto.

[​IMG]

Arb shackles for the front tow points.
    [​IMG]

Hella 200mm headlight conversion with 65/55 xenon bulbs from rallylights.com, ended up very happy with them, plus no more sealed bulbs!

[​IMG]

I then picked up some 2nd gen trd offroad rims with some pretty bald Dunlop radial rovers.

[​IMG]

Decided on a set 265/75/16 bf goodrich all terrain tires. Happy with them so far all though there is a slight rub on the drivers side frame at full cut left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also purchased a new kenwood excelon xr400 4 channel amp to power the alpine 8" type r subwoofer as well as the kicker door speakers

[​IMG]

I ended up wanting to upgrade my head unit and rear speakers as well so I went with a kenwood dnx570hd and hertz ecx165.5 speakers., and everything turned out great. And sounding amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plasti dip eventually began to annoying me peeling everytime I washed it so I removed the emblems , painted them with matte black rustloleum, and put them back on with 3M adhesive glue.

[​IMG]

After 3 hours of work, two plastic scrapers, and a bottle of goo gone the ugly orange stripe is gone.

[​IMG]

Added a yakima shovel bracket

[​IMG]

I mounted two 3" led pods by outlaw lighting off the back of the rack. I mounted them using hose clamps for the time being. But they actually worked perfectly and hold the lights on very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture doesn't really do it justice, but the pods are very bright.

[​IMG]

I also bought two 3" KC led pod covers to avoid any possible problems with the law.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corolla, NC trip 8/16/14

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purchased a custom bed bar (made to look and function like the relentless fab bed bar) from a local TW member. I then added a 4' firestik cb antenna and midland handheld transceiver. Also picked up a used 48" Bhi-lift jack locally for cheap. It needed to be sanded down and be repainted, but functions perfectly-

Hi-lift before:

[​IMG]

Hi-lift after:

[​IMG]

Firestik 4' cb antenna

[​IMG]

Bed bar, cb antenna, and hi-lift

[​IMG]

Midland cb
    [​IMG]

31" light bar and bestop supertop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up a set of used fj trail team wheels with a few scratches from a fellow TW member earlier this month and got them touched up and mounted. Before-

[​IMG]

After- I used testors matte black model paint for the rim itself and outside of the center caps, and testors flat red for the Trd lettering on the inside of the center cap. Both colors matched very well and turned out nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally installed old man emu 881 coils, wheelers 3 leaf progressive 1.5" aal, and Nitrochargers all the way around.
    Very happy with the height and look, and ride quality on and off road is much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics to come

Swapped the blown front kicker speakers out with Rockford Fosgate punch p165s component speakers and mounted the tweeter in the top of the door panel. Used a 1 3/4" hole saw bit to cut through the panel and the tweeters fit perfectly although I had to cut a 2" hole through the metal behind the panel to allow the tweeter to have enough depth and get the panel back on properly. Sounds great and I'm very happy with the way they look.

[​IMG]

It's a work in progress, so much more to come!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 2, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    Combatman

Combatman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sioux Falls sd
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 Manual
    31" Wrangler tires
    Very cool, you're taco is the same as mine (1996 extra cab black) so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

What did you end up paying for the frame if you don't mind me asking?

Also how many cans of dupi color did it take to paint your rims? Was I hard to get it evenly coated or did you do a lot of prep work?

3. May 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    treadstone

treadstone Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    What is Plasti dipping? looks good.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. May 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Yakima roof racks Yakima sst stretch kit Yakima loadwarrior basket rack Blacked emblems Kenwood dnx570hd head unit Kicker door speakers Hertz ecx 165 rear speakers JL audio 8" w3 subwoofer Husky floor mats Red led interior lighting Kc longrange lights 3" led light pods Custom bed bar 4' firestik antenna midland handheld cb Hi-lift jack 265/75/16 Bfg AT on FJ trail teams rims Ome 881 coils Nitrocharger sport shocks Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    "What did you end up paying for the frame if you don't mind me asking?

Also how many cans of dupi color did it take to paint your rims? Was I hard to get it evenly coated or did you do a lot of prep work?"

I would say as an estimate about $1600 total. $400 for the frame itself, and the rest was in parts.

I used three cans of dupli color and had extra, for prep work I just cleaned the rim, did a light sanding, wiped it down with paint thinner to remove any oil grease etc. and put 2 coats of primer on.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  5. May 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    "What is Plasti dipping? looks good."

Plasti dip is basically just a spray on rubber coating that can be peeled off, you can get it at basically any hardware store (i got mine at Home Depot)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  6. May 4, 2014 at 12:35 AM
    treadstone

treadstone Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    So it is not a permanent thing?

7. May 4, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    No, it peels off. I have had mine on for about 5 months so far and has held up really well.

8. May 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Awesome truck! Love the wheels and the rack

9. May 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    Combatman

Combatman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sioux Falls sd
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 Manual
    31" Wrangler tires
    Another question about the wheels:

So I just painted my skid plates, and I noticed that even when I had an even spread on them it didn't come out too smooth because small debris would fall on it (even in the confines of my closed garage) did you have any issues like this when you were painting your wheels, and if so how did you deal with it?

10. May 5, 2014 at 4:52 AM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Yes I did, and I thought it was debris in the air too, but I did a search and saw some people saying that some of the dupli-color paint would dry before it hits the wheel and that's why it would give It that weird grainy texture. The only one wheel I really had this problem on was my passenger side front and I am going to just sand down the rough spots and repaint it and hope it doesn't happen again.

11. May 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I never thought about that, but that makes a lotta sense. Thats why i prefer to use Plasti Dip or truck bedliner instead of regular spray paint whenever I can. They're a lot easier to touch-up and fix

12. May 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Update: 5/15/14- arb shackles for the front tow points. [​IMG]

Hella 200mm headlight conversion soon to come! :)

13. May 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Update: 5/29/14

Recently I picked a hella 200mm headlight conversion set with 60/55w xenon bulbs from rallylights.com, they replace the sealed beam style headlights, and are much brighter than mine previously were. The install was relatively difficult due to the grill having to come off because of the location of the bolts. All in all I'm happy with them though!

[​IMG]

Also, this past week I came across a set of 16" 2nd gen trd offroad rims on my local craigslist for a great price. They are mounted on a pretty bald set of Dunlop radial rovers, so new tires are a must! Looking at 265/75/16 BFg all terrains, general grabber at2, or some sort of good all terrain (suggestions??)

[​IMG]

14. Jun 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Update: 6/28/14

New 265/75/16 bf goodrich all terrain tires, kenwood dnx570 hd head unit, kenwood excelon xr400-4 amp, and hertz ecx165.5 speakers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jun 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    That's a clean looking '96. Nice job dealing with the frame too. I like to these trucks taken care of and out on the road.

16. Jul 5, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    LSC15

LSC15 Southern Retrofits

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD D-Cab
    2008 Double Cab - Current 2002 4runner - Sold 2001 Double Cab - Sold 1995 Xtra Cab - Sold
    Nice truck buddy

17. Jul 6, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Thanks man I appreciate it! Your truck looks awesome, love the 95-96s

18. Jul 6, 2014 at 5:03 AM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Appreciate it! Yeah the frame was a lot of work but it ended up being well worth it.

19. Jul 6, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    LSC15

LSC15 Southern Retrofits

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD D-Cab
    2008 Double Cab - Current 2002 4runner - Sold 2001 Double Cab - Sold 1995 Xtra Cab - Sold
    Thanks man. Me too

20. Jul 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    96blacktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 tacoma lx 4x4
    Update: 7/27/14

Well I finally got around to getting rid of the ugly orange stripe. Used plastic scrapers, goo gone, and 3 hours of hard work.

[​IMG]

Mounted up a yakima axe/shovel bracket

[​IMG]

I also picked up a set of 3" led pods from outlaw lighting for $99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture doesn't really do it justice, but the pods are very bright

[​IMG]

Also picked up a pair of KC 3" led pod covers to avoid any kind of problems with the police.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top