My taco is a 99 3.4L V6 4x4. Bought it August of 2012, had 52k miles on it (). Absolute mint condition, couldn't be happier.
For a while i had it in my mind that I wanted bigger tires, new wheels, a lift, and an ARB bumper. My friend has on on her jeep and I really liked how beefy it was, plus it looked badass. Money was sorta tight, so I had put it off indefinitely.
Two months ago I noticed my alignment was getting bad, then I noticed this monstrosity:
Holy crap. Okay so I need new tires obviously. Might as well get bigger ones. Oh wait, that means I need new wheels. Crud, new wheels+tires means I need a lift. I have to choose springs with that lift, so might as well get the heavy ones for that ARB bumper. As long as I have those heavy springs... dammit, let's buy that bumper. It kinda cascaded on me.
So I did some research and went to 4WheelParts in Tucson. Here's the list:
- 4x BFG All-Terrain TA/KO 275/70R17
- 4x MB TKO MBT wheels, 17x8.5 (purchased from a local shop)
- Old Man Emu 2.2" lift, heavy springs
- ARB Tacoma Bumper
I am really happy with how this turned out. Frankly, another 1/2 inch of lift would be perfect, but I can live with this. My front left tire rubbed like hell, but only in reverse when the wheel is cranked 2/3rds to the left.
I took some pliers and shears to the sheetmetal underneath, and the rubbing is 90% less than what it was, but still there. I estimate I only need to trim away another 1/8in away, so that will be this weekends project.
I'm happy for now, but this is what I plan for the future, in no particular order:
- Remove the plastic front wind thingy (COMPLETE , no pictures yet)
- deck plate mod
- new exhaust
- remove bench seats and install aftermarket buckets (suggestions welcome)
- Sound system - 4 new speakers + bazooka subwoofer tube
- rear bumper that matches aesthetics of the ARB (suggestions welcome)
- new rugged bed liner of some sort
- Remove camper, put in a black toolbox.
- tinted windows
- eventually get a winch
- New halogen headlights (suggestions welcome)
So you might notice that this is primarily black & white, hence the 'Stormtrooper.' This weekend I'm going to plasti-dip all the chrome (logos, badges) black. The front Toyota badge will be red, however.
That's it for now. Can't wait to work on it some more.