Notices

Leudast's Stormtrooper Build

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Leudast is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Leudast's Tacoma Gallery
Leudast's Stormtrooper Build

Hey everyone.

My taco is a 99 3.4L V6 4x4. Bought it August of 2012, had 52k miles on it (). Absolute mint condition, couldn't be happier.

For a while i had it in my mind that I wanted bigger tires, new wheels, a lift, and an ARB bumper. My friend has on on her jeep and I really liked how beefy it was, plus it looked badass. Money was sorta tight, so I had put it off indefinitely.

Two months ago I noticed my alignment was getting bad, then I noticed this monstrosity:

Holy crap. Okay so I need new tires obviously. Might as well get bigger ones. Oh wait, that means I need new wheels. Crud, new wheels+tires means I need a lift. I have to choose springs with that lift, so might as well get the heavy ones for that ARB bumper. As long as I have those heavy springs... dammit, let's buy that bumper. It kinda cascaded on me.

So I did some research and went to 4WheelParts in Tucson. Here's the list:
  • 4x BFG All-Terrain TA/KO 275/70R17
  • 4x MB TKO MBT wheels, 17x8.5 (purchased from a local shop)
  • Old Man Emu 2.2" lift, heavy springs
  • ARB Tacoma Bumper
The guys at 4WheelParts were super helpful, however it took 2 months to actually get everything in. They also couldn't tell me exactly what they had received of mine. One day the bumper and lift was in, the other day only the tires were there, etc. ANYHOO, it all went together and they had it completed within 2 days:

I am really happy with how this turned out. Frankly, another 1/2 inch of lift would be perfect, but I can live with this. My front left tire rubbed like hell, but only in reverse when the wheel is cranked 2/3rds to the left.

I took some pliers and shears to the sheetmetal underneath, and the rubbing is 90% less than what it was, but still there. I estimate I only need to trim away another 1/8in away, so that will be this weekends project.

___

I'm happy for now, but this is what I plan for the future, in no particular order:

• Remove the plastic front wind thingy (COMPLETE , no pictures yet)
  • deck plate mod
  • new exhaust
  • remove bench seats and install aftermarket buckets (suggestions welcome)
  • Sound system - 4 new speakers + bazooka subwoofer tube
  • rear bumper that matches aesthetics of the ARB (suggestions welcome)
  • new rugged bed liner of some sort
  • Remove camper, put in a black toolbox.
  • tinted windows
  • eventually get a winch
  • New halogen headlights (suggestions welcome)
  • Floodlights

So you might notice that this is primarily black & white, hence the 'Stormtrooper.' This weekend I'm going to plasti-dip all the chrome (logos, badges) black. The front Toyota badge will be red, however.

That's it for now. Can't wait to work on it some more.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
asuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud of

asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
52k damn.. Nice color