Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

mustangstephen's 2002 Tacoma TRD

Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
raise hell, drink beer
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
mustangstephen's 2002 Tacoma TRD

I guess it's about time for me to make a build thread. I've only had the taco since early 2009... I do mods occasionally and in spurts. I have a few other hobbies I can barely afford and usually just hop back and forth between them.

How it currently sits currently with 173k miles:

Current specs:

Vehicle:
2002 Tacoma TRD
3.4L V6
4x4 5sp manual
stock 4.10 gears

Performance:
K&N cold air intake (installed by PO)
glass pack muffler

Front suspension:
Eibach coils and 5100s

Rear Suspension:
homeade leaf pack (help here) and cheap autozone shocks (about 23" extended length)

Tires/wheels:
Wheelers type B 16x8s with 4" backspacing
285/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns

Lights:
Autozone Offroad lights on front bumper with custom rock chip holes in each (didn't think they'd last this long)
Some fog lights I got for free wired into the reverse lights so I can see backing up at night

Exterior:
Homebrew headache rack
Homebrew sliders
Homebrew front bumper
Homebrew rear bumper

Misc:
Diff breather relocated to gas cap
CL tool box
CB
gray wire mod
2wd low mod (J case: here push button: here )
no daytime running lights: here
disabled the feature that makes the blinkers blink faster when a bulb is out (here)

Short term (possible year or so) wish list:
skid plates. I think I'm going to buy these instead of bending since I don't have access to anthing that will bend metal thick enough to be effective.
Dual cases. As long as I'm running 33s I think I'd rather keep the 4.10 gears and just get duals. If I go 35s then a regear will be mandatory.

How it sat in the lot when I found it:

Camper shell made it for a few hours after I got it.

Existing modifications when bought at 92.5k miles:
K&N intake missing some bracing and shields
front coil and top plate spacer lift
rear lift shackles
255/85r16 BFG KM1s
Exhaust tail pipe modified to hang too low
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
raise hell, drink beer
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm going to go through the mod list from memory. It may or may not be in the exact order. I'll probably edit later and include some links where I found mods.

First mods/maintenance: After camper shell removal got new front brake pads and a louder muffler Modified the tail pipe a little but still exited below spring. After a few months of ownership I took it to the dealership for a timing belt and full service. Got an alignment and paid firestone to do the front half shafts. After paying them to do it a few times I figured I better learn to do it and save some money. Found out Napa shafts last pretty good being that I'm still on them with probably over 50k miles. Had a boot failure on one of the first remans but bought new after that and have been doing good.

I put a cb and pa speaker in sometime. Bought the cheapo offroad lights from auto zone and put them in the holes in the factory front bumper that the PO had for some reason.

I really didn't do much with the truck for a long time. Was in college and rode 4 wheelers a lot. Met a crazy old man that basically gave me a pair of 31-15.5 AG tires. Didn't use them anymore and wanted to see them go to someone who would use them. Since I was big in the mud then I thought it was great until I smoked my clutch pretty good with them. Also found out why you need to relocate the differential breather. Had to get a new pumpkin when the pinion bearings went out. Needless to say I did the diff breather relocation after that.

dat ass

Everyone plastic dips or sprays their wheels black, I went with mud

Met a girl (that became the wife) that told me about their family trips to Colorado and wheeling there... Did a little googling and apparently I have a great platform to build a wheeling rig to take her out there one day. And so it began

Did a grey wire mod and removed the front sway bar at some point in time. Built a headache rack because I have some perfect chain links etched into my passenger rear window. Put some no name fog lights on the rack and wired them in with the reverse so I had some extra light when backing up at night. Lets just say the window tint made things difficult before. Went to 265/75r16 Kelly safari TSRs when the KM1s wore out.

Got tired of the low hanging exhaust and moved it between the axle and frame.

Wasn't doing major wheeling yet but the stock leafs suck so added two leafs out of the original pack from my 67 Mustang (hence the username)

Build some sliders:

Then a front bumper:

Figured the bumper needed some more work.

Got some eibachs and 5100s here the beginning of 2014.

Redid the rear leafs. Ditched the lift shackle and went back to stock shackle. Found out the bushings were different and decided to press out the studs on the factory shackles and run the greasable bolts from the lift shackles. The extra leafs came this time from a late 80s 1 ton ford overload leaf pack. I think the pack could really use one more leaf somewhere but I'm out of spare packs so this will be a future project one Saturday.

Got some 285/75r16 maxxis bighorns at 170k miles.

and removed some of the front fender after finally doing the pinch weld mod. (here)

built a rear bumper (inspired by the 4x innovations)

clutch from advance went out. Went back with a marlin:

made removable door hinges (still need to take the doors off) (here):

And there is about 5 years worth of ownership in one post.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
raise hell, drink beer

Little off topic, got the wife a 01 4 runner 4wd sport December of 2011. It's been a great vehicle also aside from the tranny going out. Found out I should have been changing the fluid and filter ever 40k-ish so I guess it's partly my fault. When having it rebuilt we put a transgo shift kit in it. I also did an external tranny cooler the first week we owned it.

She won't let me lift it.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
raise hell, drink beer

also saved
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
raise hell, drink beer

what the heck, one more time
Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck, didn't know you had a first gen
Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
How'd u disable dtrls? I don't like mine either. I kinda wanna try to turn my LEDs from the "fog light mod" (formerly turn signals) into dtrls
Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
raise hell, drink beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
How'd u disable dtrls? I don't like mine either. I kinda wanna try to turn my LEDs from the "fog light mod" (formerly turn signals) into dtrls
Simple, I cut a wire.

I'm pretty sure I followed the insturctions here. It's the last email I emailed to myself about it.

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/tacoma-dr...e-tech-133454/
Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
Now I understand everyone's shit's emotional.....
sarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2 (SS/SW)
Name: Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
sarsabious's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
On my 2001 4Runner it was as simple as cutting one wire. Yours should be the same.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just take out the relay?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
raise hell, drink beer

I Could be wrong but I the relay might control more than the dtrl. Plus sniping one wire is simple enough.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
raise hell, drink beer

High lift mounted this weekend. Nothing fancy just needed to get it done.