1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Lug Long Travel 2rz Turbo Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by MadTaco461, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Jan 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 [OP] BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    Basically when the truck under a high calculated load demand. Obdii reader will tell you when that transition is. You can also see it in a wideband o2

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    gray223

gray223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Pm'd you

3. Feb 15, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    [​IMG]

Decided to rip the bed off and mount up some fiberglass, make my own bed, located the shocks out board the frame and swap in my tundra axle. Got it kicked off this weekend. Hopefully the truck won't be down too long.

4. Feb 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the bed.

5. Mar 13, 2015 at 4:03 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Where are the updates man!?!?!?! Been a month already!!! Oh, and did you get that Turbonetics on yet?

6. Mar 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    Life been busy. Too much popped up, but this weekend and buddy is coming over to help with getting the axle in. Wish it wasn't going to be almost 100 degree weather this weekend. But pics are coming in a few days after we make some progress.

7. Mar 15, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    [​IMG]
    Been sitting like this the past 3 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Setting pinion angle at ride height
    [​IMG]
    Full droop. It will be strapped about 17"
    [​IMG]
    DAT ASS is wide and it is nice.

So the spring perches are welded up. I broke the leaf pack down to a single leaf to start cycling the shocks. I have some grinding to do before I tack the shock tabs on. I made a pretty good dent this weekend with the help of a few friends to help speed things up.

I'm hoping next week to cut my fiberglass down and finish up mounting the shock tabs. I should also have time to mount my battery. For some reason this seems like it's more work this time around than when I did the rear long travel 4 years ago.

eccracer104 likes this.
  8. Mar 16, 2015 at 4:24 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    WOW! :eek: That looks like some work to me!

Adding in a different set of leaf springs when all back together, or the same ones?

9. Mar 16, 2015 at 7:53 AM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    It's the same pack. It's been working well for me. Just greased it up and fresh spray paint. Once I finish up my welding, the whole rear will get a thick coat of paint. I seeing lots of sanding in my future

10. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Going to be a beast for sure. :thumbsup:

Does this axle come with disk breaks or drum brakes?

11. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    They are drum. I can make a parking brake with them still. My motor doesn't have much engine brake when parked.

12. Mar 21, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    [​IMG]
    Full bump shocks tacked into place.

[​IMG]

I extended the shock tube out. I have tubing 1.5" inside my 1.75" main tubing and a rosette weld to hold them together. I'll need to finish up the tubing around the shock to prevent fatigue.

[​IMG]

Hoping to get my glass cut down and mounted this weekend while the leafs are still broken down so I can prevent tire contact. The glass is going to get dovetailed out pretty far. More grinding and cutting today. The to do list is getting smaller. Starting to see some light. Need to finish adding tube, mount battery, add limit straps, brake lines, shorten driveshaft, mount street legal crap, sand, paint, and make a bed tray. I'll make a parking brake a little later down the road. A block of wood will fix that for the time being. Now I know why this project started to become expensive just to mount a tundra axle.

13. Apr 19, 2015 at 10:38 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I've been getting pretty burnt out on this build, but progress is slowly going.
    All the cage work is pretty much wrapped up right now. Started making a bed tray with plans to box in the side later down the road. Shocks are in place, but still need to do limit straps. Battery box is ready and just waiting on a few parts for the breaker. The brakes are hooked up and bled. Fiberglass is cut and mounts are in place. Currently have the rear glass off. Driveshaft is getting shortened for the larger axle diff this week. Still need to get my hands on some spare 33's tires since I went up to 33's from 32's. Maybe running next week. Hard to say because something new comes up.

14. Apr 20, 2015 at 4:31 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That is a huge undertaking for one man. Even with occasional help. It's looking good and coming together well though. It will be there soon enough. And it will be :cool: As sh!t!

15. Apr 20, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I originally thought it was going to be as simple as when I mounted the rear long travel 4 years ago. Well you run into custom fabrication when you ditch a bed and still want it functional. I realized I never posted a pic of the glass. I had no idea how to hang it up by myself so I brought the easy-up outside the used tie down straps the hold the bedside in place while I make mounts. I mounted the glass at full bump. You can see my tire stuffs up like some slammed hella flush car. I couldn't roll into the garage because you can't step back to make sure the glass follows the body lines. So in these pics I had to tack weld with the flux core and roll into the garage later to MIG it up. I do not miss that flux core welder.

eccracer104 likes this.
  16. Apr 26, 2015 at 9:42 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    Whoa TW changed a bit on me. Let's hope this post looks fine when I'm done. The truck today was driving kinda. I didn't bleed the brakes good enough the first time, so that was kinda fun. Battery is sitting in a battery box now with a metal battery box inside. I'll show finished results next week when I get the breaker set up and the wires organized. Got the limit straps set at right before the leafs spread apart which is about 15" before I touch my bump, not pictured. My dog likes sleeping next to me when I work on my truck and will often try and bite me when I'm welding. The driveshaft came back this week from getting an 1" cut off to account for the larger axle and me just wanting a bit more wiggle room.

Next weekend finish bed tray, clean up electrical, hang bedsides up again, and drive around town and try and break all my work I just did!!!!

17. Apr 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Awesome build man! Makes me miss my 5 lug more haha

18. Apr 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    How does the truck feel overall now?

19. Apr 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    @Torspd I didn't get to drive her out of first gear. I had to bleed the brakes again, but the truck felt more stable. Hopefully this next weekend I can drive around actually. Work has been busy so I doubt I'll look at the truck until Friday night.

20. Apr 29, 2015 at 9:50 PM
    MadTaco461

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock

So I just figured out today why my brakes sucked. Glad I didn't get out of 1st gear over the weekend. I hooked up my manual brake proportioning valve wrong. You can see in the diagram that I grabbed from yotatech.com the LSPV has 2 lines going to it. When you do a mpv you only use the feed line. Well I accidentally hooked up the return line. I was powering all 4 brakes off half the master cylinder. Bleed brakes round 3. Glad I caught that issue.

To Top