I bought my Tacoma in March of this year. It's a:
2004 XtraCab SR5
-Only creature comforts are A/C and Cruise
-Had 64K miles and a new frame when I bought it.
It had issues as any 10 year old truck does but the smaller size is perfect for what I need, gets great gas mileage and should easily last me 10+ years.
My build plan is to:
-Keep it as lightweight as possible
-Keep it a daily driver
-Build it so that I can take it on virtually any trail I want
-Wheel the heck out of it.
Current mods (in order of completion):
-AFE Dry-Pro Air Filter
-Rear Diff Breather Mod
-All Pro Sliders
-Complete OME Lift Kit
--Dakar Leaf Packs
--OME Sport Shock/Struts
--Braided rear brake line
--Exhaust relocate bracket
-Hi-Lift mounted to passenger side wheelwell
-Full set of RAT skid plate
-Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB
-Marlin Crawler HD Shifter Seat
Future mods (in no particular order)
-Gas tank skid
-Tube bumpers, front and rear
-Steel "D" hole wheels
-Some way to mount the spare in the bed
I'm leaning towards BudBuilt 1/8" skids for weight savings. I know I lose some protection in doing so but I view skids as an added safety measure, not something to bang rocks against. This is also why I'm going with tube bumpers. They're lighter than plate and only there to protect the truck when I point it somewhere I shouldn't have.
More to come. I'll post pics of the new suspension in action this weekend.
Thanks for viewing.
As I bought it:
My plan was to build slowly, mostly fixing stuff as I needed or if I broke something. Then, I found a local wheeling club so...time for sliders:
Then, while checking my tires, I found a top plate stud that "didn't look right". I'll skip the details and just say I took it back to the Toyota dealer and they fixed everything plus a few extras. However, in keeping with my plan, it was broke so time to upgrade.
I installed a full OME Kit from Wheelers:
This is a bad pic as I took it on my angled driveway and before driving it to settle everything in. It now sits perfectly level.
More to come.
Added some pics of the install:
Using the ratchet straps to hold the axle worked like a charm. Once one jack stands, I lifted the axle slightly and tightened down the straps. Then, I disconnected the u-bolts. With the jack taking the weight of the axle, I loosened the straps and lowered the axle until the axle was no longer connected to the leafs. After that, the old leafs were easy to remove and the Dakars went in in reverse order.
With the axle hanging by the ratchet straps, it was very easy to shift the axle around to get it centered to the new leafs. I did have to use the jack under the pinion to rotate the axle and once done, I installed the new u-bolts hand tight to keep everything together until back on the tires and torquing the bolts down.
I know others have suggested using a bottle jack to get the leaf bolts connected but I found this unnecessary. I installed the frontbolt first followed by the shackles and had zero complications.