Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

My 96 Ext. Cab 5vz 4wd turbo build.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
ralphyc517 is on a distinguished road
ralphyc517's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 Ext. Cab 5vz 4wd turbo build.

Hey guys, just thought i would make a build thread on my truck. Im a little late because i already have the truck running with the turbo on and tuned so my first post will be mostly everything but i figured i can help others with turbo setups and questions and such. A little background on the truck. I bought it 2 years ago with plans to keep it stock and just drive it around. truck was in mint, i mean mint condition, owned by an older guy, completely stock and dealer serviced when i bought it. All the work on the truck is done by myself.

Created an account on this forum and kind of started looking at the off road trucks and setups and really started looking into it. I dont have a lot of pics of this stage of the truck because i lost my old phone which had the pics saved.

But i did the usual, billstien 5100 with toytec springs and custom leafs in the back, 33s, all pro plate bumper with warn winch, rigid lights, all the usual mall crawler stuff lol.

i took it offroad a couple times and enjoyed the truck. until one time i went into the wrong hole and snagged a brake line, exploded p/s pressure hose due to extreme mud and trying to steer away from trees and still managed to dent the bedside and rf fender. needless to say, i was extremely pissed that i was destroying the truck and decided that was the last time i would take it offroad.

i drive 20 miles one way to work and started to think about the 33mt's vibration/ noise and the poor mpg and that i wasnt planning on offroading anymore and decided to part out the truck and return it to stock for street driveability. here is how she looked. i loved the way she looked.

I drove it stock for about 1 month before i got bit by the bug again. this time i decided i wanted to turbo the truck (previously owned a turbo car and really missed it, and recently installing a trd supercharger on friends tundra at work didnt help either lol). i decided i was gonna try out the cxracing manifolds and piece everything else together as i have pretty good knowledge towards turbos and just mechanics in general, im a toyota tech. here is the manifolds when they arrived at my house.

Ordered some gauges to keep my build safe at all times. i atleast wanted to monitor afrs during the whole build. this truck is my daily so i didnt want to risk anything. went with an aem wideband and a cheap autometer gauge. i really hate pillar pods so i went for the steering column cover pods. bought one for an evo and kinda modded it to fit.

finally decided on what turbo i wanted to run and went with a borg warner s362 fmw. got a smoking deal locally and was really excited lol, hence the silly pic. i peiced together my oiling for the turbo, went with a t fitting at the oil pressure switch for feed and -4 oil line. running a tial 38mm wastegate and tial 50mm bov.

Went ahead on my day off and dropped my front diff and oil pan and drilled and welded the drain fitting for the oil return of the turbo. just ran the hose off the fitting to the top of the motor while i got all the feed fitting and all that in order.

finally had everything ready for the turbo install and stayed late one night at work and installed it. keep in mind, i dont have infinite funds and this is my daily so i had to build it while driving it. the turbo was just open, obviously had oil through it but no boost. still didnt have the fmic or any of the fuel system so i just drove it with the turbo on, no boost for about two months. i would like to also say that i was really impressed with the cxracing manifolds fit and finish. i was a little hesistant at first due to online reviews but i bit the bullet and again, very impressed. they went on with no trouble at all and didnt have to modify anything to bolt them up along with the crossover pipe. no exhaust leaks, nothing. i was extremely excited to have the turbo on the truck, even without boost.

ill follow up in a new post.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
i finally saved up enough money to complete the piping/ intercooler and fuel system and tuning. for the intercooler piping, i bought a universal ebay kit and just cut it up and made it fit. the fmic, i chose a treadstone intercooler. i didnt want to hack up anything to fit the intercooler so i chose to mount it inbetween the frame rails in the lower valance. did cut the valance for max airflow and to fit the fmic, its a 3.5" core so its kinda big for the flat 95-97 front end.

for the fuel system i went with a walbro 400 intank pump. an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and osidetiger 550cc injectors, had methanol injection in my previous car and loved it so much to not put it on the taco, ended up scoring a great deal on craigslist for a devilsown kit and threw it on. i wanted to do megasquirt standalone but i decided it was just too much money and being that this is a daily i wanted to retain factory driveability. i ended up going with an aem fic piggyback and tuning it myself. couldnt be more satisfied. this last pic is how the engine bay currently looks. its not done but its running fully tuned on the street by myself at 15lbs with methanol. i would guess its in the mid 300s at the wheels.

thats pretty much where im at now. i will keep posting as i keep modding and doing stuff to it.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet truck
Old 10-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
it was tough for me to go with the aem fic and not with megasquirt because i know the capabilities of each but honestly with standalone was too much money and was gonna take a lot to get it run like stock so i went with the fic. i bought a pnp harness from boomslang for my truck.

was having issues with my truck stalling and not idling properly so i read up on a scion tc forum of a resistor mod because our toyota sensors create noise and dont operate properly with the fic. decided to wire it in and truck wouldnt start, seems like boomslang already wired them in. went ahead and trusted my work and cut their resistors off and kept mine. truck now idles, drives, and everything like stock. i honestly couldnt be happier with the fic.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
Sweet truck
thank you
Old 10-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
its completely stock looking on the outside now except for the intercooler. here it is next to my buddies 5.7 sc tundra at work. alright im done for now lol, just crammed my whole build in like 1 hour lol, feels like i wrote a report for school or something haha.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Heres a quick vid i recorded the other day while driving. Just a quick 2-3 pull.

http://youtu.be/5YDhdOolv70
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
Sick build man!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
how much money do you have in the turbo setup??
Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyc517 View Post
Heres a quick vid i recorded the other day while driving. Just a quick 2-3 pull.

http://youtu.be/5YDhdOolv70
That sounds amazing
Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
santabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant future

Name: jordan
santabarbarataco's Tacoma Gallery
i need to get me a turbo setup.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
how much money do you have in the turbo setup??
Close to 5k. That includes fuel system and all.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #13
markturbo is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
markturbo's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
flash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Alex
flash9588's Tacoma Gallery
Siiiiiick truck man!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Thanks guys. Clutch just started slipping today after doing a couple pulls. Time to look for a clutch.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
jensenjoe is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jensenjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I have a 2000 Taco and I'm not a fan of the grille. I like the grille on your truck though, is that stock? If not where did you get it?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenjoe View Post
Hey, I have a 2000 Taco and I'm not a fan of the grille. I like the grille on your truck though, is that stock? If not where did you get it?
its not stock, thats the satoshi grill. they are usually homemade but i think theres a vendor on here that sells them. there is also how to's around forums on how to make them.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
LC Engineering GREAT clutches!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvymechanic View Post
LC Engineering GREAT clutches!
Do they offer a full face disk clutch that will hold my power output? I dont really want the chatter of a puck clutch.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
They have a few options for the 5VZ. I have the pro clutch kit for up to 300hp. Whats your power output?