Old 10-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
ELKAHOLIC
BerettaMato is on a distinguished road

Name: Beretta
BerettaMato's Tacoma Gallery
Beretta's Build

How She Sits Now

The Story

I bought my 2004 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD a month ago for 10.5K. I was looking for a daily drive that I could use in the mountains of Colorado. I work at Cabela's so to say I live in the outdoors would be understated. The Tacoma was the cleanest one I could find. I wanted one that had not been modded. It took about 6 month to find the right one. The one I found was a Arizona truck with 224k on in. It is in 90% condition and the Car-Fax showed one owner. He had done every scheduled maintenance on time at a Toyota dealer. I had a pre-purchase inspection done and the owner of the Toyota garage said it was the best Tacoma he had ever seen with that many miles. He said it could pass for a 50k mile truck and the last owner must have been super anal LOL. He did suggest I do a full tune up, new shocks and do the timing belt before the end of the year. The Dealer I bought it from did the tuneup and took $500 off the price to help with the rest. Not bad for a truck that blue books for 15k.

Day I picked her up

The Test
I took the truck right after I bought it Elk hunting for a week and really beat the crap out of it. ATV, game and rocky muddy trails. Banged the crap out of the bottom of it on rocks and put a ton of small scratchs in the paint from pushing though over grown trails. She did amazing. I could not beleave how good she 4x4's in stock set up. All this with 17.17 MPG and most of it in 4x4. The best I have done was 28.5 on the way back but most of it was 60mph down hill. Only thing that broke was the bad roads and vibrations loosened the P/S tensioner bolt and I lost it. I just tightened the set bolt up and it worked till I got back from the hunt. I did find out coming back down trough Eisenhower pass with a 7% grade that the brakes did have a small pulse to them when at high speed and pressed hard. After I cleaned detailed and waxed 40lbs of mud out of her, I only had a very small dent in the front skid plate and the scratches buffed right out. Also buffed the yellow out of the front lenses.

Getting dirty CO,UT and WY state line

The Start
Thanks to this sight and its "How To" tread here is were I am at.
The Build List
Here is were I would love some input from you all. I do get some stuff like Warn, Cobra, Engel and Rigid for industry pricing so I will use them.

Suspension, wheels and tires.
  • Level 8 16x8 MK6 gunmetal rims
  • Goodyear Duratac 265/75-16
  • Bilstien 5100 F/R
  • Eibach coil springs
  • Light Racing UCA
  • ToyTec Differential drop
  • ToyTec 2" add-a-leaf
  • PowerStop Crossed drilled and slotted rotors and truck and tow pad kit.
Topper and rack.
  • Snug super sport $2200
  • Cabela's TrailGear II roof Rack $100
Bumpers, sliders and armor.
  • Relentless front plate bumper w/D2 cut outs (not sure maybe tube style)
  • Relentless rear plate bumper w/D2 cut outs (not sure maybe tube style)
  • Relentless Rock sliders (not sure maybe different one)
  • T-case skid plate
  • Front skid plate
  • Fuel tank skid plate (maybe)
  • Curt 5000lb hitch and wiring harness kit
Winch, lights and misc.
  • Warn VR1000
  • Rigid d2 flood F/R
  • Rigid E-20
  • Cobra CB
  • Engel 34qt
The Finish (someday)
Something like this

Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
ELKAHOLIC

Any one, any one, this thing on. OK I need some help I know all with V20's but Tacos I am a noob. I want to buy my lift and wheels ASAP. I was wondering will I need to regear it. I am looking at 285/75x16 as my prime and 265/75x16 as my option. If I go 265 do I only need 1.50 lift. I did hit a ton of shit in stock on what I would call moderate trails. I am coming off a V20 with 37" tires and the lowest point was the rear diff with 12" of clearance.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
ELKAHOLIC

OK I ordered the wheels and tires. I went with Level 8 MK6 -10 16x8 Gunmetal and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75x16 load c. Got a great deal on the wheels, tires, black lugs and mounted all for $1100 shipped to my door. Cant wait, but still need help with the lift. Thinking of Bilstien 5100 F&R with AAL 1.5 rear springs. Looking to level it out not sure if I should just get OME 882 to go with it.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Delta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
Hey! Nice truck!

You got the rims i want to order in the future

The 5100/Eibach springs sounds like a pretty good lift. Just make sure if you go with the plate bumper you get the heavier spring to support the weight of the front bumper.

When you plan on ordering you lift kit I would go through wheelers off road. They seem to be a very reputable dealer and they are active on this site (you also get a bag of candy with every order ha!) Yotadan is his username and you can send him a PM if you would like to discuss any info on suspension. He is very knowledgeable and helped steer me towards the lift that suited my needs.

I plan on going with the OME kit with the dakars and AAL. If you decide to go with OME the springs that people go with for off road bumpers is 882 or 883. 882 has the same compression amount as the 881 but is a bit longer to help lift the front more. 883 coils are just stiffer. UCA are not necessary with the lift however it will be easier to align with a aftermarket UCA. I see that you mentioned that you would go with total chaos UCA. Thats the one im looking at and ive heard only good things about the UCA and their customer service.

As for lights, Rigid industry seems a bit overpriced to me. I just ordered my Rampage led lights through Relentless fabrication, they are a lot less expensive and they also use CREE led lights. It seems like all you do when you buy rigid industry is buy the brand name.

I ordered my relentless front and rear. My rear wrap around is awaiting welding and my front will be done in about 3-4 weeks. Keep in mind that their wait time is around 5-7 months for fully fabbed bumpers and 3-4 weeks for DIY kits.

For winches, ive looked into the TJM stealth 9000. It come with a lot of features that are pretty sweet! Wireless remote, external battery cuttoff, fairlead, wired remote, synthetic line. Ive read a lot of good things about it and plan t order it when i have the funds.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and ill get back with you!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Delta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if you plan on running a lot of lights i would reccomend and AUX box to keep the wires under the hood all orderly. People like to go with blue sea 12 fuse box and a bussman 100A circut breaker.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
ELKAHOLIC

Ya going though Wheelers.com for sure. I think I am going with Billy's at 2.5 and OME springs up front and Billy's and Wheelers AAL 1.5 in back. That should leave me future proof if I want to go higher later. I love the Rampage lights but I get Rigid for cost so we will see. I am not in a rush for bumpers so I can wait. I do like the light weight of tubes so we will see. As for the winch I get Warn for cost as well and they have never let me down.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
ELKAHOLIC

Been a while so here is the update. Put the hitch on it was really easy. Got the PowerStop rotors and pads on much better and look better. I got the wheels and tires two days ago they look so sweet. Then today at lunch picked up the lift parts at the ToyTec shop. What a great bunch of guys and cool little shop. Tanner was very helpful and the TacomaWorld discount was great.

ToyTeclifts.com $668
Bilstien 5100 Front
ToyTec Eibach Spring
Bilstien 5100 Rear
ToyTec 2" AAL
Diff Kit
BPV Kit
PS Rack Bushing Kit
Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
ELKAHOLIC

Some Guys have been asking to see my old Suburban so here you go.

1988 Chevy Suburban 2500 Silverado 350HO T400 NP205 35" BFG M/T 8" Lift
Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
ELKAHOLIC

Finally got the lift installed. The guys at ToyTec were awesome they even put my shocks together for me. That made the install much easier. I also got the steering rack bushing set it. The truck drive so well I cant believe it. Only took about five hours to install and that was with hand tools only. Now I cant decide what to do next. Probably the topper but the bumper and winch are biting at me. Sorry for the bad pics I will update them when I get back from the F1 race in Austin this weekend.

Here's a shot of the wheels and tires for you guys that were asking about them.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
Love the rims... Im going back and forth between these and the scs f5... What offset are you running with these?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
ELKAHOLIC

-10. Just got back from the long trip towing a camper to Austin for the F1 race and the truck ran amazing.