Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Squee's 04 DC TRD

Old 11-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
squeethebee is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
squeethebee's Tacoma Gallery
Squee's 04 DC TRD

Hey guys, this is my 04 Tacoma. I got it in July of this year after debating between this, a new TRD or a JK for a while. Some lurking on here lead a few simple mods, hopefully with many more to come.

Here it was the first day I saw it.

Then I bought the bumpers, wheels/tires, Line-x, and lift

So it looked like this for a while...

Then I did my budbuilt skids just before I moved from MA to UT

Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #2

Mods list to date:

SUSPENSION:

OME 882's
Nitrochargers
Dakar leaves
OME greaseable shackles
Brake prop bracket
SS extended lines
10MM spacers up front

WHEELS/TIRES:

16x8" SCS F5 in matte gunmetal
265-75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

ARMOR:

TG Rock Defense low pro front bumper
TG Rock Defense rear bumper
Bud Built IFS and mid skid plate

LIGHTING:

Putco reverse light bulbs
Low Range LED dome light

I've got some Hella LED's on order. Next big mods will be sliders, air compressor and maybe more lights!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #4

I cleverly routed my move through Moab, UT and stayed there a few days. Cannot wait to back, it was so much better than my expectations! Sorry I only have an iPhone for pictures.

Glad I decided to put them on first

Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Looks good so far!
Thanks, I hope to get it more like yours with the RTT and such, probably in the spring though.

Also read your bike build after talking my buddy back in MA into getting one. I have 3 bikes, and my 250 is close to my favorite most of the time.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

Oh I do have a couple questions if anyone could help me out...

1. I'm getting quite a bit more vibration now that the skids are installed. Is that just par for the course or is there some adjustments I can make to limit that?

2. Sometimes when going over bumps off road (faster than crawling speed, but not flying) it feels like there's slack or almost some play in the steering wheel, if that makes sense. Is it possibly a worn out bushing or tie rod play, or is it just in my head and I should shut up?

3. Are there ever meet ups around the Salt Lake area? Either to wheel or just grab a bite and chat? If there's a thread, I've missed it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Looks great. Do I smell expo? Love the gold DCs.
As in expedition type of rig? Possibly. It's a bit more interesting out here unlike New England where it's hard to get more than 20 miles from civilization, lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeethebee View Post
Thanks, I hope to get it more like yours with the RTT and such, probably in the spring though.

Also read your bike build after talking my buddy back in MA into getting one. I have 3 bikes, and my 250 is close to my favorite most of the time.
Nice, RTT's are awesome even though I rarely use mine

I miss riding it, and it's only been a month haha Need's to warm up already!
Quote:
Oh I do have a couple questions if anyone could help me out...

1. I'm getting quite a bit more vibration now that the skids are installed. Is that just par for the course or is there some adjustments I can make to limit that?

2. Sometimes when going over bumps off road (faster than crawling speed, but not flying) it feels like there's slack or almost some play in the steering wheel, if that makes sense. Is it possibly a worn out bushing or tie rod play, or is it just in my head and I should shut up?

3. Are there ever meet ups around the Salt Lake area? Either to wheel or just grab a bite and chat? If there's a thread, I've missed it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Only one I can really help with is the steering. Replacing the rack bushings with poly bushing will help reduce the slack in the steering. As well as doing the slip joint mod.

Slip joint mod
Old 11-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Had a couple nice days here and took 2 of them out. I hope the winters here are fairly short, lol, I'm greedy and like 2 wheels.

A clunk describes it quite well, that sounds like the slip joint might be the issue, thank you so much! Now to get that done...
Old 11-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had a couple nice days here and took 2 of them out. I hope the winters here are fairly short, lol, I'm greedy and like 2 wheels.

A clunk describes it quite well, that sounds like the slip joint might be the issue, thank you so much! Now to get that done...
Yesterday was nice, but I didn't have time to get out and ride. It's pretty much going to be stored until I'm back in town until towards the end of next Summer. So another short riding season. This is my first bike, and it's safe to say I'm addicted!

Cool. I haven't done this mod yet. No access to a welder. But after replacing my bushings with poly it made a huge difference. Only play I have left is from the slip joint. Should work out well for you.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

You chose very well for a first bike. A lot of people will punch outside their weight class and get something that for a newbie is far to powerful to utilize, thus robbing them of the excitement of using all it can give. I've gone from the sport bikes to motards because they are just more fun, more of the time. The great gas mileage doesn't hurt either. At the moment I have a Yamaha WR250X, a Suzuki DRZ400SM, and a Ducati Hyperstrada(kind of a big ass motard).

I'll probably do the bushings as well, I know about the differences it made in Subarus with much less mileage than my truck. Thanks again for the link.