Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

JBIX's Burned and Bruised Tacoma Rebuild

Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
JBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JBIX's Tacoma Gallery
JBIX's Burned and Bruised Tacoma Rebuild

I have always wanted a 1st gen Tacoma for a daily driver and weekend wheeler but could never afford one with the cost of school and all my other projects, so I bought a truck that needed a lot of work.

Here's what it looks like today after a year and a half of work

Specs:
2000 Tacoma TRD currently has 78k miles
3.4 5 speed 4x4
factory Elocker
01 front end conversion
OME 881s and sport struts
stock leaf springs
ARB bull bar
3rd gen 4runner 5 star wheels with duplicolor gunmetal paint
bed bobbed 13.25"
285/75 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
Magnaflow muffler
SecondSkin sound deadened floor

Still to come:
Sliders
custom rear bumper
OME 883's up front
OME dakar springs & sport socks out back
full skids
255/85s
winch
CB
tint
Bed rack/RTT
expo ins and outs

How I bought it:

I found this truck on CL from a guy who bought it from a salvage auction.
As you can see, it had a small fire at one point in its life.
Looks like it started in the fuel tank.
The fire burned up everything behind the cab, as well as melted the windows an the interior inside the cab.
It had 74k true miles (I had a friend carfax it), ran, and the AC worked!
No working brakes however.

Downside is the truck does have a salvaged title, but I was looking for a truck to build and keep. Having been through the truck with a fine tooth comb, I'm confident it's sound, and reliable so the title problem doesn't bother me.

It also came with two parts trucks:

more details and pictures to come
Old 12-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
It's a surf spot not a house
LogCabins is on a distinguished road

Army: AGR Hawaii Army National Guard
LogCabins's Tacoma Gallery
Holy transformation!!!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
"needed a lot of work" is an under-statement. I hope you paid next to nothing when you bought it.

Is that a short bed? It looks shorter than it should be. You've probably got one of the only extended cabs with a short bed on it.

But damn, that's a lot of work!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
JBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedJBIX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JBIX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
"needed a lot of work" is an under-statement. I hope you paid next to nothing when you bought it.

Is that a short bed? It looks shorter than it should be. You've probably got one of the only extended cabs with a short bed on it.

But damn, that's a lot of work!
Its been a lot of work but also a lot of fun.
So far, for what it is, I don't have much invested in it.

Yes, the bed has been bobbed 13.25 inches
Old 12-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
JBIX's Tacoma Gallery
more pics of how it started

inside the cab

01 front end

Dash, steering column, radio, 01 gauge cluster installed

sealing the rust

Cab and E-locker wiring

bed bob

cab painted

all the glass installed

lights

New TB/WP, plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets

OME 881s up front installed and 3rd gen 4runner wheels

Painted the wheels Duplicolor Gunmetal and got some 285/75 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires

big ass box

ARB

Bed work

Be painted

wet sanding

transformation pic
Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
JBIX's Tacoma Gallery
so my temp gauge is grounding out somewhere,
haven't been able to find out where so in the mean time I got an UltraGauge OBDII scanner

Got a free Toyota bed mat
so I cut it down and threw it in
Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
It's a surf spot not a house
LogCabins is on a distinguished road

Army: AGR Hawaii Army National Guard
LogCabins's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^
Bro, spray your bed the bed mat does your truck injustice...IMO of course. Can't get over all the work you did....very NICE