Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

2001 Double Cab Diesel Expedition Build

Old 12-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Hawaiisurfer is on a distinguished road

Hawaiisurfer's Tacoma Gallery
2001 Double Cab Diesel Expedition Build

Hey guys! I recently purchased a 2001 double cab TRD Off Road. I've wanted a tacoma for years. So, a couple months ago I started looking for one. I found one about 30 minutes from my house. I couldn't be happier!

The plan is to build it as an expedition rig. I love to fly fish and living in Utah provides me with some great fishing. My wife and I love to get out and camp so we will use this truck for that as well. I got the double cab because we are trying to grow our family and didn't want to have to get rid of the truck mid way through the build.

The best part of the build will be the diesel conversion and the CNG conversion that I plan on doing this coming summer. Not sure what motor I will use yet. Suggestions are more then welcomed.

The truck is pretty stock. It came with a 3'' lift and some lame after market exhaust. I will be going through the front end next week and replacing all the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, various gaskets, and all the fluids. I will also be adding some 17'' XD Addicts with 285/70/17 M/T tires. I ordered a bull bar (temporary until I build my own bumpers). I will be ordering a 20'' LED light bar to mount on the bull bar. I will be ordering a bed bar today. I have ordered some L track for the bed. I have four 4 foot sections coming. It will be nice to have a modular tie down system.

Here is a picture of how the truck looks right now...
Old 01-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Lone Wolf Legend
cbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbechtold is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
cbechtold's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel Taco?!?
Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/3rd...70-engine.html

Post 12.

And a diesel w/o a turbo is lame. Lower the cubes, up the boost.

Gayle Banks is your boy. http://www.bankspower.com/
Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
SeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant futureSeekingZero has a brilliant future

Name: Ben
SeekingZero's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Can pay to have it done for about $22,500 haha

http://dieseltoys.com/

Ha ha. Yeah, I saw those guys. That's a bit rediculous if you ask me. I have found a front clip for $1,500 plus shipping.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Saw the word diesel and clicked.

Those are some clean wheels, what are they off of?
I guess they are 4 Runner wheels. They were on the truck when I bought it a couple weeks ago. I have a set of black XD Addicts wrapped in Pro Comp Extreme M/T 2's (285/70/17).

The M/T 2's are made by Maxxis and should be a much better tire then their other ones.

The 4 Runner wheels will be for sale shortly if you're interested.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, why are you doing the diesel/propane conversion? Is it for better fuel economy? Maybe you have figured out a way to make the numbers work out but the fuel economy gains are not that dramatic, and the conversion is pretty expensive. It will likely take you more years than you'll have the truck to recoup the cost of the conversion in gains of mpg's.

Also, curious why you decided to go with 17" wheels?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #12

Hey Adam. I just PM'ed you. I am a total newbie to the 4x4 world and have a lot to learn. I have been in the vintage VW, Porsche, and BMW world forever.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
It's all good. I'm just curious. I replied to your PM
Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #14

I changed my wheel and tire order. I'm going with the 16's and 285/75/16. What you said Adam made a lot of sense. I'm building this truck to be off road capable and useful.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #15

I am looking for a stock front bumper. If anyone has one or has any leads on one please let me know.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #16

Parts are starting to show up. I ordered a bunch of stuff to give the truck a refresh. New poly bushings for everything, all new ball joints, new inner and outer tie rod ends, and new front axles. I'll order new shocks as well, but those can wait. They are in good shape. I will order the bilsteins 5100's in the coming weeks. I also have four 4 foot sections of L track that I will install this coming weekend. It will be nice to have a modular tie down system.

I have installed a new head unit. It's full bluetooth, which is nice. I drive over 100 miles a day and listen to a lot of podcasts. The speakers will be upgraded as well, but not for a couple months.

I've started to look for a CB, but have no idea what to buy. Any suggestions? I don't have any idea what makes one better than another or what price range I should be looking at.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #17
“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Delta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
People like the Uniden 520xl because it fits in the stock ash tray location

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post6157088
Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #18

Yeah, I've noticed that. I was going to mount mine in the bottom section of my center console. It's the old adage; out of sight, out of mind.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #19
Ritchie is on a distinguished road
Ritchie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiisurfer View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that. I was going to mount mine in the bottom section of my center console. It's the old adage; out of sight, out of mind.
Dig through these links. For my CB, I mounted the 'brain' under the front portion of the console behind the dash:

1. http://www.justacarguy.blogspot.com/...ke%27s%20truck
2. http://www.justacarguy.blogspot.com/...uck%20part%202

You should be able to get some ideas there.

Nice truck you have there.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
Dig through these links. For my CB, I mounted the 'brain' under the front portion of the console behind the dash:

1. http://www.justacarguy.blogspot.com/...ke%27s%20truck
2. http://www.justacarguy.blogspot.com/...uck%20part%202

You should be able to get some ideas there.

Nice truck you have there.
Thanks for the links. I'll dig through them.