1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scott's Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by tacoman101, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    SALTYDOG

SALTYDOG Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma xtra cab sr5 4wd
    yeah i think they look better with the centercaps also

2. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    SALTYDOG

SALTYDOG Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    my truck looks exactly this except mine is a 2004 model. i just ordered my lift kit yesterday. i think its the same kind as yours. but i also ordered some dick cepek 16x8 wheels. i was wanting to up my tire size a lil bit to maybe a 285/75/16 like yours..but do you think they would rub with the new wheels im getting? or would i still need spacers..if so, how big of spacer?

3. Jan 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    They shouldn't rub with those wheels, and if they do, it will be very slight. Right now I have 1/4" spacers in the front and I get very minimal rub. Nothing worth noticing. My main concern was going to be if they would clear the UCA and they did just fine. So with those wheels you should be all set to run the 285's

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    SALTYDOG

SALTYDOG Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    ok thanks for the info. i'll post some pics when i get my truck set up

5. May 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    Alright...I did some more stuff to my truck. To help push the 33's I bought my self a deck plate in order to do the deck plate mod.

4" Deckplate= $15

I cut a nice hole in my airbox with the help of my friends Dremel, and then inserted the deckplate in. With a little trimming it fit perfect. I sunk some screws in it and presto! extra horsepower. This mod gave me a little extra throttle response and a little extra gas mileage too. Heres a pick of the deckplate in my airbox without the lid:

[​IMG]

Close up:

[​IMG]

The previous owner had hit a concrete median when he slipped on some ice so the front bumper is dented and the front valance is nicked up. One of the head light filler's was missing from the day I bought the truck so I decided to get one to make it look a little better.

Headlight Filler= $13

Heres a pick without filler:

[​IMG]

with filler:

[​IMG]

As you can see when the guy hit the median the bottom of the fender also was pushed in a little bit, but I can deal with it. Heres a pick of the slightly smashed in fender:

[​IMG]

The headlight filler is black whereas the other side is green so im going to have to get that painted up. But thats about all for now. Winter destroyed my carpet in my truck, so im thinking of getting some Weathertech floor mats before the snow starts to fall again.

6. Jun 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    jcmartinez17

jcmartinez17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jc
    ontario
    Vehicle:
    10 trd tacoma prerunner
    nice truck man, love those tire.
    i was wondering how your truck did with those tires, i have a 02 dc and its a 2.7 and i bought some 285/75/16 pro comp xtreme all terrains and was wonderin how u truck ran with them, planing on doing the deck plate mod too. did the deck plate help you with those tires

7. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    The truck lost a little power. I mean it is a noticeable difference but nothing that bothered me. I like the look a lot more than when I was running my 265's. So in my opinion I would rather have looks of power :D. The deck-plate mod helped a little. Some hills that I couldn't make it to 3rd in before, after the deck-plate, I could shift up. I think when I uy tires again, I'll go with 32-11.50s just becuase they would be a little lighter than my 285s

8. Dec 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    Alright, its been a while since I updated this build and I've done plenty to the truck.

I bought myself some Cabelas camo seat-covers = $60. They don't really fit that well, becuase I think they are really designed for a slightly bigger seat, but they do the job:

[​IMG]

I also broke down and got some Weathertech floor mats for the front of the Tacoma. These mats are wicked nice, and really save my carpet from all the mud and snow that gets tracked in. Although they are pricey, these mats are worth it. Weathertech floor mats = $118 through AutoAnything.com:

[​IMG]

Along with the mats and the seat covers, I also picked up a much desired gun rack for my truck. I was doubting this type of gunrack, becuase I trhought the suction cups wouldn;t hold much wieght. This was the only rack I could find that would fit my truck, and it does the job nicely. I havent had it fall off yet and I have loaded it right up. Gun rack = $30:

[​IMG]

I also took off my fancy looking pedal covers because they were wearing a hole in my carpet, and I touched up the bed-liner in my bed.

I swapped out my 33's for some 265/75/16's just to see how the smaller tires were in the winter. I got these tires for free from my neighbor, and I think they have some pretty aggressive tread:

[​IMG]

Probably putting the 33's back on thouigh soon, cuase im selling my other ones to my buddy for $150. Much to come later, thanks for reading and looking.

9. Dec 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    dpalmer619

dpalmer619 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '07 White TRD sport doublecab
    Icon 2.5 coilovers
    FWIW you should spray paint you rims black. there have been some huys that have done it and it turns out nice

10. Dec 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    andycass

andycass Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    17 inch FN FX Pro Wheels, 3inch Toytec Adjustable coil-overs w/ rear AAL, OEM Roof Rack, Pioneer double-din in dash, Two Pioneer 10 Inch subs with custom box behind rear seat, HID Hi/Lo and fogs, FLowmaster 40 single in dual out. Weather Tech floor mats, LED Dome/Map lights, Cover Kings Camo seat covers,
    looks fresh dude how does that flow 40 sound? can you post a video?
    i have the same truck but double cab and interested at getting flow 40's
    thanks dude

11. Dec 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    Taco4Fish

Taco4Fish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    j
    how is the fender flares holding up? im thinking of herculiner mine to.

Is it fading? how much product did you use?

12. Dec 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    do u have any idea what your truck is geared, i have 31s on mine and would love to go with 33s but dont know if i can handle the power loss and regearing is outta my budget right now, mine is geared 3:58

13. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    I've got stock gearing. I really don't know exactly becuase I really don't know where to find the exact ratio. I believe on my truck they are 4:10, but im not sure.

The 40 sounds pretty good. Not a v8 sound by any means, and not really that loud either. But it puts out a nice tone, which is really all I wanted.

14. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    The Herculiner is holding up real good. It loses its shiny look after about a week, and fades to a flat black color. I think there are a few ways you can get that shiny look back, but I like it flat. I only used one coat of Herculiner on each flare and that was about a year ago, and its holding up nice.

15. Dec 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    look on the sticker in your door jam for the axle code, it will say something like "BO3A" or "BO4A", pretty sure "BO3A" is 4:10, ull just have too look up a chart

16. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Man your lift looks way higher than mine and it is the exact same thing!

Very nice though I really like the stance wiu those 285's!

17. Oct 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    stanislav13

stanislav13 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    03 sr5 4x4 2.7liter taco
    i was lookin to ad 2.5 inches suspension lift and 285/75 r16 tires to my stock taco, how is the power/ mileage loss if i was to do that?

18. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Rebel Taco Man

Rebel Taco Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod
    hows the rubbing with this lift and them 33's?

19. Sep 23, 2022 at 1:19 AM
    LizardShark43

LizardShark43 MPeters/LizardShark43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NWA(Northwest), Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2004 DCC V6 Diff Packing Baddie :)
    Added touchscreen display, amplifier (blew out from too much fun), revamped the stock speakers, replaced shocks and struts with Bil 5100's combined with OME 881's, slapped 265/75/16 BFG K02's on her. Much more is planned for the damn beaut, so stay tuned or follow me elsewhere to keep tabs better.
    It's a sick build man, I was curious about the deckplate mod though?

Products Discussed in

To Top