LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Black Beater!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
The Black Beater!!!

OK, so here is the story... My wife and I purchased some undeveloped property, and I started clearing it off so we can build at some point in the future. I was working my a$$ off carrying things up and down the hill. So, I decided I wanted a John Deere Gator. After several weeks of looking I realized that I did not have the extra cash for one... 15 years old and they still want $5k...

So I picked up this 97 Tacoma 4cyl 4wd off a co worker. It was wrecked in front of their house about 4 years ago, hit a F250 head on. The changed out the frame, changed the cab and got all the front end parts new from Toyota. They put the truck on the back burner for several years now, and this is how it sat the day I purchased it. I have no plans to make this truck nice and clean. It will be mechanically sound and reliable, not pretty, but usable.

A good friend of mine works at a local Chevrolet Garage in the body shop. He does excellent work for a great price on the side. So I had him put the front structure together. $200.

This is where it was at once I brought it home...

I had one aluminum wheel missing and I realized the steel wheel that was on the truck had a deeper offset and set out a lil bit. So I checked it out, its a 7 spoke off the 93-95 Toyota Pick-up's and 4 Runners. I found a set on Craigslist for $50. I also found an almost new (500 miles) set of BFG MT1's in the local trade paper for $400. Wire wheeled and sanded them down, and Flat Blacked them... (anyone looking for 3 aluminum wheels?)

I like the way they sit on the truck... Not the best pic, but they sit out past the fender about an inch.

Took the bed off to make things easier. the tank had gas about 4 years old in it. So we siphoned it out, fixed the emissions vent, and ran the taillight wiring the correct way, put the spare tire cable mount on the frame, and sat the bed back on, and flat blacked the back of the cab since the entire truck will be flat blacked in the end. Had a lil fun also...

Here are some of the deals I have gotten so far...

$60.

$65.. Lots of wiring and just odd and end stuff. Some I forgot to snap a pic of.

Here is the dash as it sits right now...

Under the hood for now...

At this point we have done new rear brakes, e-brake cable, front end is apart... new wheel bearings, rotors, pads and one new caliper.

I will post more pics, as I make progress. Been working on the truck for 8 days now. I should have all the parts by mid week that I am waiting on, and I hope to have it done over my Christmas Break. (teaching has nice days off).
Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Cool! keep us posted!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
dang that was a long post! should win some kind of award!
looks like a fun project. you've done more in 8 days than some guys I know do all year! Good job!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Is that an Aprilia I see hiding in the garage?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
Cool! keep us posted!
I sure will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
dang that was a long post! should win some kind of award!
looks like a fun project. you've done more in 8 days than some guys I know do all year! Good job!
Thank You... I havent enjoyed working on something with 4 wheels this much for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
Why yes... it is... Aprilia SXV 5.5. Its my track bitch.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Hops is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabe
Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i was wondering the same thing...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
damn I am a slacker, I didn't even spot the Aprilia...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I had a nice RSVR 1000, but I had to sell it a few months back to get get the property we purchased...
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks a lot better than the first picture. Keep up the hard work.

I've been lusting after an Aprilia RXV for almost a year now, but with the economy taking a dump I just can't bring myself to do it.
Plus I want to put a 2moto kit on it. $$$$$$
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
^sweet kit.. they have that entire setup at my local dealer. I got my 08 brand new for $6300. They have what you need there, cheap...

If you decided to go for it call up and talk to Allen at Xtreme Powersports in McHenry Maryland. 800-967-7738. they ship them all over the country, cheap... tell Allen your friends with Kuneff (Ka-niff). they are great people to work with.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Todays progress...

Took most of the day to get the front end apart. Used In Force on everything and it still wasn't wanting to come loose, so he had to heat every single bolt and beat it apart with a 5lb hammer. Next, drop them off at NAPA to get the new bearings pressed in..

I flushed out all the clutch fluid with fresh, had to torch the tailgate strap bolt to get it out, pulled most everything off the fire wall, and painted it black, put the air box all together.

Oh yeah... I think it needed some new plugs...

oh yeah.. the oil... damn.... wow...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
get it done man

lookn good
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
get it done man

lookn good
I have to work late 3 days this week, so i probably wont get much done this week, if anything. I am hoping to get the truck running and drivable this weekend, once i get the harness, it won't take much to get it hooked up and mount the rest of the stuff in the engine bay.

Then comes the sanding... I am debating on painting the cab first, with the bed off, then paint the bed separate. I think it would make things a little easier.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well hurry up man i cant wait to see it finished

yea it will prob be easier to paint the cab with the bed off

if ya need me to look at anything electrical just let me know
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #16
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
I envy you for taking on a project like this! ! !!! I can only dream of doing this kind of project at my age and my health status. (I have done several extensive projects in my younger days and loved it! ! !) Good luck! ! !
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #17

same here dude
cept my only problem is money
id love to take on a project like this
Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery

good start and good luck with the project!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I got a couple hours in tonight... Mounted fuse box, ran wires through firewall to their spots, ran headlight wiring... REalized exhaust manifold is cracked like a broken vase, wire wheeled and painted rear drums, figured out my cat has pissed on the passenger side of the carpet... and stumped on some of the vacuum lines... Posted a thread and pics about that...

Where do these go????

WTF is this???
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
I feel so Devo

WTF is this???
[/QUOTE]

flux capacitor?

sorry, I know I'm no help, I just could not resist