Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

3.0 head gasket

Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
3.0 head gasket

I finally started rebuilding my top end of my toy after the crappy job a previous mechanic did. I wanted to replace the timing belt, he said don't worry about it. I inspected it and there was a tear in it I could turn my water pump by hand. Not suppose to be able to do that if the timing belt was snug. What an idiot. I worked on the truck for 3 hours and got it down to the heads. I could see where the intake gaskets were leaking too. Hopefully my heads aren't cracked. That would be a bummer. I guess I'll see when they come off and go to the machine shop.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
Is this is the wrong forum? If your going to pull the heads off, make sure you straight-edge the block and heads!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
I was working at a Toyota dealership, when the V06 campaign was going on. I did so many of those head gaskets, I swear I could do 'em in my sleep.

We didn't really see any with warped blocks, the ones that got a new short block were the ones with the #6 cylinder, that had the cross hatching worn off of the back of the cylinder. Be sure and check that while you've got the heads off.

Have fun, and take your time, and do it right.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
I am a Toyota Master technician myself and did over 100 of those headgaskets.

About 7% of the time I had to strip the blocks down and send out the block to have it machined. I used to love doing them because they paid like 22 hours!

In the recall Toyota specified no more than .010 warpage between the head & the block. There were times when the heads were OK but the blocks were down to .007. The recall specifically instructed you to have the block machined, not replaced with a short block.

Anyhow, make sure you check everything, and you need to insure that the straight edge is good!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I never overheated it and the bottom end has about 20,000 on the rebuild from before. The guy before was an idiot that did it before. I will check the block though.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
CRAZY 4WHEELER