Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

1999 Tacoma "build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
1999 Tacoma "build"

This build thread has become a mess of broken links and broken dreams. This is what the rag looks like now.

First day home
Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I love the wheels and tires.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks man! They were a pain to mount though. They rub on the brake caliper so you have to sand the back of each wheel down on the lips where the spokes are bent and continue taking more and more off until they rotate without hitting. It took me over two hours to get them all to clear it.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Thanks man! They were a pain to mount though. They rub on the brake caliper so you have to sand the back of each wheel down on the lips where the spokes are bent and continue taking more and more off until they rotate without hitting. It took me over two hours to get them all to clear it.
Yeah, the d-window wheels do that. The soft 8's wouldn't have.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Yeah, the d-window wheels do that. The soft 8's wouldn't have.
I think you were the only one who liked the thread lol
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
you just paint your crome grill with spray paint?
im sick of all the crome on mine... havent even had the truck a week

was thinking about painting those inserts and the grill with spray paint if it holds well, did you sand it or just go over

thanks in advance, love the look
Old 03-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
you just paint your crome grill with spray paint?
im sick of all the crome on mine... havent even had the truck a week

was thinking about painting those inserts and the grill with spray paint if it holds well, did you sand it or just go over

thanks in advance, love the look
Buy a can of adhesion promoter (cant spell) and a can of krylon gloss black and it will stick to chrome no problem. Do very light coats and apply about 7 total. Ive had mine on there for months and it still looks like I just painted it. Same goes with rear bumper.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
nice, thanks man
Old 03-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
yeah i fix F/A-18s
NavyNate06 will become famous soon enoughNavyNate06 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate 1st Class
NavyNate06's Tacoma Gallery
nice looking truck boss, i love the gear shift handle.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome dude! Always good to see a fellow '99 4x4 on here! WHat was the process you used for the headlights when you first got them? Sand them down and then a polishing compound?

Looks sweet dude!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
looks bad ass!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Hey thanks everyone!

To answer the questions the window tint is 35% on the front two and limo over the factory tint on the rear glass. It is the perfect shade for me and it really not only looks good but helps keep the sun from being so annoying.

For the headlights I did what this guy did, along with some sanding with a fine grit sandpaper before buffing. They turned out pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpV6x3R8gTA
Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Assistant to the Regional Manager
JManders is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
JManders's Tacoma Gallery
that taco is looking great! I've got a black 2000 and I was thinking of doing the same kind of stuff to it. And you're right about those tires on there, makes it looks a ton better. That thing is gonna be a lot of fun.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
I might do that to my headlights!!

Sweet build up man.

You still have the Aluminum Rims you had on your truck that your friend gave you??
Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kyle
99tacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck man, that thing looks sweet. What kind of paint did you use on your wheels, did you use flat or gloss paint on bumper and fender flares? And what size wheel spacers are you using?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Im currently using these wheels
http://www.truckmod.com/directpart.a...tnumber=428880

They are 15x8 and my tire size is 32. They are Bfg A/t and needless to say Im very impressed with them. They drive like a road tire and in mud they hold their own. When you are on sand or snow they really stand above any other tire Ive used.

Im running around 1.75 to 2 inch wheel spacers. Im not sure of the exact width and the guy I got them from said he thought 2 inches but wasnt sure. They really helped in bringing the tires out good and I think its one of my favorite things about the truck other than the wheels and tires.

I do still have the wheels were mounted on the truck. I also have the first factory set of wheels and tires that I will be selling soon. I may keep the m/t wheels as spares Im not sure at this point.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99tacosupreme View Post
Nice truck man, that thing looks sweet. What kind of paint did you use on your wheels, did you use flat or gloss paint on bumper and fender flares?
The wheels came prepainted black. I used gloss on the bumpers and the fender flares were already pretty decent looking so I did not paint them. One trick is to get some tire shine GEL and one of those circular disk things that come with wax and you can apply that on your fender flares and on other plastics like mirrors and stuff and it makes them deep and shiney for a week or two.

Products Discussed in this Thread