Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Leadgolem's Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Leadgolem's Build

Although there are a lot of things on here, this really isn't a particularly aggressive build. IE: Very little lift.
Blue = Haven't made up my mind.
Red = Will do
Green = Waiting for parts
Orange = Have parts, or none needed.

Repairs
Fix Vibration (DONE, this was a bad U-joint and a damaged yoke.)
Clean Rims (DONE)
Replace Tires (DONE)
Replace Windshield (DONE)
Repaint Damaged Areas (DONE)
Fenders (DONE)
In front of Back Wheel (DONE)
Chips/scratches various (DONE)
Paint Hood+Re clear Coat (DONE)
Prime (DONE)
Paint Black Areas (DONE)
Clear Coat (DONE)
Fix Chips (DONE)
Re clear Coat Roof Maybe get the whole thing painted instead?
Replace Cracked Tail light (DONE)
Replace Cracked Marker light (DONE, actually replaced both of them since they are cheap.)
Replace AC Button (DONE)
Upgrades/Mods
GPS/Stereo Head unit (DONE)
Install Head Unit (DONE)
Mount GPS Antenna (DONE)
Mount Mic (DONE)
Bypass (DONE)
Replace Carpet (DONE)
Remove Interior (DONE)
Remove Carpet (DONE)
Install Sound Dampener (DONE)
Cut and fit new Carpet (DONE)
Cut Storage Compartment Holes (DONE)
Cut Carpet to Fit (DONE)
Cut Bolt Holes out (DONE)
Install Interior (DONE)
Side Panels and kick plates (DONE)
Reupholster Rear bar (DONE)
Rear Wall (DONE)
Seats (DONE)
Rear Seats (DONE)
Install Plastic Pieces under doors(DONE)
Re-carpet storage compartment doors.
Recover door panels in leather. (DONE)
Reinstall passenger side door panel, this time correctly
Refurbish nudge bar (DONE)
Replace driving lights (DONE)
Replace driving lights, again, with piaa 525's (DONE)
Solder connections for piaa 525's (Not Needed, rewired connectors more solidly)
Install helper springs (DONE)
Install quick oil drain valve (DONE)
Bed Liner (DONE)
Clean Rust from Bed (DONE)
Drill New Drainage Holes (DONE)
Prime Bed with Rusty Metal Primer (DONE)
Roll on Hurculiner (DONE)
Spray bad coverage areas (DONE)
Remove excess spray bed liner on tailgate (DONE)
Do Undercarriage Painting (DONE)
Leather Steering Wheel Cover (DONE)
Install sway bar quick-disconnects (DONE)
Straighten front bumper mounting brackets (DONE)
Replace bushings and washers on front shocks (DONE)
Replace front coil springs (DONE)
Install axle shims
Install extended rear brake lines
Electric Radiator Fan (Decided not to, to expensive and not necessary.)
Remove crappy aftermarket window tint (50%, still need to do the passenger side window.)
Remove scratches in glass from tint removal
Repair/replace lock on gas fill door (Bought locking gas cap instead )
Get 5th Alloy Wheel (DONE)
Change Dash Lights (DONE)
Replace Dome Light (DONE)
Defog Headlights (DONE)
Mutilate Exhaust (DONE)
Spray Boom mat under hood (DONE)
Install Wet Okole seat covers (DONE)
Wire Wet Okole seat heaters (Decided not to, I never use the cigarette lighters anyway...)
1" Lift (DONE)
Billstein 5100's all around (DONE)
Rear Shackle Lift (DONE)
Install helper springs (DONE)

K&N Intake Mod
Enclose Intake (SKIPPED, flow dynamics says this is a bad idea without a lot of modding.)
Relocate Air Source to Cold Air (SKIPPED, more trouble then it's worth.)
Open up existing air draw in wheel well (DONE)
Paint Bottom edge of body black (SKIPPED, decided I didn't want this look.)
Install Fender Flares. (DONE, didn't like road salt thrown on my truck by the tires last year.)
Replace Speakers This is back to a maybe.
Seat Covers (DONE)
Apply seafoam through vacuum assist line (DONE)
Fix exhaust leak (DONE)
Black out emblems (Decided not to.)
Black out bumpers (Decided not to.)
Black out wheels (Decided not to.)
Make mounting brackets for new brush guard (Stolen before I got it mounted.)
Paint new brush guard black
(See above.)
Restitch steering wheel cover
Mods I've eliminated because they don't make sense for my daily driver.
ARB bumper, to heavy and I don't need a winch.
Supercharger, to expensive.
Turbo, expensive and conflicts with a possible replacement header.
Throttle body spacer, useless with a good air intake.

It's interesting how the camera exaggerated the difference in the blacks.

Balcony view after the lift and the flares.

New marker light, makes my headlights look like crap...

Debris screen I put over the air intake pipe. You can see the seeds that kept getting in my filter too.

Hole I cut in the wheel well for better air flow.

Reupholstered passenger panel.

As she sits right now.

Since it's getting cold here in colorado, all mods are frozen until spring.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
man that's pretty gangsta! tacomas have come a long way! how many miles ya got on it?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that's good for 10+ years!!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
We both have almost the same truck. I have a 2.7 99 with the Manual tranny. Im over 240k and I can say that these trucks defiently hold their own. If the truck has been atleast some what taken care of you shouldnt have to worry about replacing anything eles for a long time.

Did the K&n filter help alot?

And how did you install the lights behing your speedo? Which lights did you use? And can you still adjust the brightness of them with the knob.

Looks great, Im glad to see these trucks getting fixed up and not torn up. =)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The K&N I've got is the full intake. I can't say how much it's helped as the previous owner is the one who installed it. I'm planning on enclosing it and relocating the air intake to the wheel well like it originally was. That way I will get the benefit of the increased surface area of the can intake and still be drawing lower temperature, and hence higher density, air.

Your probably better off doing a drop in K&N filter + the deck plate mod. That way you don't change the air intake location to the corner of the engine case where it draws in warmer air.

The dash lights weren't that difficult. Basically, you take the dash apart and replace the bulbs with ones that don't have a green filter over them. I did the lights for the ac panel at the same time. This isn't as hard as it sounds, pretty much everything is screwed in with just a few clips to hold it in place after you take the screws out.

I used bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com, these are the 12v wedge shaped ones. You'll need 4 194 sized bulbs, and 2 size 74 for the ac panel if you want to do that too. I used wled-xhp5's for the instrument cluster, and 74-xHP3's for the ac panel. You can still dim the led's, but not nearly as much as the stock lights. If I were doing this again I would get incandescent bulbs with a light blue filter so they don't look yellow. That way you can dim them a lot more.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
The K&N I've got is the full intake. I can't say how much it's helped as the previous owner is the one who installed it. I'm planning on enclosing it and relocating the air intake to the wheel well like it originally was. That way I will get the benefit of the increased surface area of the can intake and still be drawing lower temperature, and hence higher density, air.

Your probably better off doing a drop in K&N filter + the deck plate mod. That way you don't change the air intake location to the corner of the engine case where it draws in warmer air.

The dash lights weren't that difficult. Basically, you take the dash apart and replace the bulbs with ones that don't have a green filter over them. I did the lights for the ac panel at the same time. This isn't as hard as it sounds, pretty much everything is screwed in with just a few clips to hold it in place after you take the screws out.

I used bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com, these are the 12v wedge shaped ones. You'll need 4 194 sized bulbs, and 2 size 74 for the ac panel if you want to do that too. I used wled-xhp5's for the instrument cluster, and 74-xHP3's for the ac panel. You can still dim the led's, but not nearly as much as the stock lights. If I were doing this again I would get incandescent bulbs with a light blue filter so they don't look yellow. That way you can dim them a lot more.
Ok thankyou for the help! I want the brighter dash but do commuting at night and after 6 hours of driving at night with a dash that bright I would die! haha I need bulbs that can turn completely off. So these dont correct? They look so badass in the dash though.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #8

Actually, you can turn these completely off. All you do is turn the dimmer knob down to far. The LED's drop below operating voltage and go off completely. The problem is, they are still fairly bright just before they go off.

I'm going to be updating the pics on post 1 in a minute.

EDIT: Pics updated
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #10

Replaced my starter today. The old one was doing the "click" and no start thing about 20% of the time. I replaced it with a high output starter from http://www.mean-green.com/ This thing really is overkill for a starter. I barely tap the key into the ignition position and my engine is running. Kinda freaked me out the first time, it doesn't sound like the old starter at all. If I was going to do this again I'd go with the 2kw version rather then anything as fancy as mean green makes. The 2kw version is the cold climate version. Would have saved me some money.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #11

Added updated pics, post lift. Also got some of the air intake mod I did, and the new marker light.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
TacomaV6 is on a distinguished road
TacomaV6's Tacoma Gallery
what you use to paint ur interior linings? >.< not trying to do the same thing, just wondering what product since i been working on some bucket seats on another car and T___T ruin the cloth i was upholstered
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #15

I didn't paint it. I took the door panel off and replaced the fabric with some black split grain leather.

Took this thing off.

Pealed off the fabric.

Coated both pieces with contact cement.

Applied the panel to the leather once the cement was dry.

Stuck the edges onto the back with some more contact cement. You do have to cut the corners with those scallops so they fold back flat.

Cut all the holes out.

Realized I shouldn't have cut the holes for plastic mounting studs out. I did patch these, but it added about 1 hr to the process. *doh*

Put the plastic piece and all the mounting studs back on.

Then put the panel back on.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #17

Got these today.

I'm planing on installing these helper springs this weekend. I'd like to put them between the overload spring and the rest of the leaf pack. I'm not sure there is space on the center stud though.

I got them here. http://www.jcwhitney.com/leaf-spring...9d2193y1998j1#
These are the $50 full length versions.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #18

These came today.

They are sway bar quick-disconnects. I got them from wabfab. http://www.wabfab.org/1995.5-2004-Ta...ypage.tpl.html

Not quite what's in the wabfab pic. I'm happier with what I got then what was shown though. The one on the wabfab site shows a nut that you would have to remove to disconnect the sway bar. The pin arrangement I got is a better choice it requires no tools at all to disconnect.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
waskillywabbit is on a distinguished road
Name: Wabbit
waskillywabbit's Tacoma Gallery
The pic you are referring to is probably of an endlink and not a disconnect.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post
The pic you are referring to is probably of an endlink and not a disconnect.
Ah, I see what you mean. There are two products available on that page. Well, I got what I wanted, so I'm happy.

FYI: You might want to change the color of line 3 in your signature. It's pretty much impossible to read the way it is now.

Products Discussed in this Thread