Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Madjik Man's laugh-at/with-him "build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #461
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Jonathan,

No I did not.

Would you care to elaborate?

PS. Only if it doesn't involve a BFH, grinder or cutting my cab to shreds

Sincerely,
Jordan
That works too, I suppose.

But you should be able to loosen the bolts where the bracket attaches to the frame, push it back into place, and re-tighten. If it's not enough, you could loosen the bolts on the other side and bring it down to make it at least even with the driver's side.

I can't find any pics. I suck at the internet. IIRC, Ben had the same issue a couple years back, he might still have a pic.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #462
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing is the top edge of the bumper/valence is perfectly in line with the bottom edge of the grille and fenders. If I "tilt" the bumper/valence up to fill that gap, then the sides that wrap around to the fenders won't have even lines.

The issue is the 98-00 bumper/valence drops down in the center. That contour is to accommodate the 98-00 grille which sits lower than both the 95-97s and 01-04s. So a gap is created between the bottom of the 95-97 grille and 98-00 bumper/valence.

When I literally held up the 01-04 bumper/valence I now have to the front of my truck, I believe it will line up much cleaner with the 95-97 grille.

We'll see
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #463
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can still see that there is a little gap with the stock set up but not nearly as pronounced.

Strangely the 98-00 grille doesn't sit lower than the 95-97 as I thought. They're both lined up with the bumper fillers.

I figure come spring time when I'm finishing the 01-04 bumper I have, I will remove the grille and spray paint the a/c condenser, that bracket, et al black. That should hide it better
Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #464
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it looks to me like the driver's side corner of the bumper/valance is sagging. Looks like no gap on the passenger side and at least a 1/2" gap on the driver side.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #465

I think it may be the angle... I'll have to look closer.

At this point both of the sides of the bumper are being held on by zip ties. Those piece of crap white plastic brackets that get bolted on the side have broken off.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #467
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Finished installing the color matched bumper fillers and corner lights. These pics are weird because those four pieces are brand new paint and totally clean while the rest of the truck is covered in winter road grime. You get the idea though.

A couple of things still bother me.

1. The gaps between the headlight housings and the grille

2. The 95-97 grille has a plastic backing behind the emblem. The 98-00 was open air. So the emblem looks pretty stupid to me. If I care enough in the spring, I think I'll color match the plastic backing behind the black emblem.

All in all, it looks pretty decent IMO. I'll have to fully embrace my "good enough" philosophy.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash9588 View Post
Interested in seeing some pics of the color matched grill while it's clean, I've been considering doing the same I just haven't seen any other trucks that have it.
I didn't really wash it. Just wiped it down with a wet sponge to give you a better idea. Didn't wipe the fenders down either so they are appearing lighter/grungier than the grille, etc

Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it looks to me like the driver's side corner of the bumper/valance is sagging. Looks like no gap on the passenger side and at least a 1/2" gap on the driver side.
I just adjusted it as best as possible. The driver's side is literally only being held on by those two 14mm bolts. The side (which appears sagging) by the fender has nothing holding it on. It's only an 1/8" larger gap than the passenger side.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #470

Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #471

So Jon comes over and I thought, "today will be the first day we just hang out and not mod/molest a truck."

Next thing I know he must have slipped Ol' Red a roofie... because he has Ol' Red pretty much naked and is groping him...

I have no idea what he's making my truck do to him here

Took the grille and bumper/valence off to accomplish a couple of things.

1. See if the 01-04 bumper/valence would work. Negative ghost rider. It just did not match up with the 95-97 grille whatsoever.

2. To paint all the crap on the core support so it blends in behind the grille better.

3. Most importantly... put Jon's 01-04 horns on my 98. NO MORE "MEEP MEEP!!!"

Surprisingly Jon wants the wussy 98 horn so a part of Ol' Red will be mobbing up rocks and racing in the desert.

Painting behind the grille... gave Ol' Red some eyelids

Here's where I mounted the 01-04 horns. One in the stock 98 location and the other underneath the headlight. There was a threaded hole already in the core support and I just so happen to have the perfect bolt for it. It's the perfect spot because it does not interfere with the 95-97 grille.

Also took the bug guard off

I also tricked Jon into putting himself in a very vulnerable position... almost had my way with him.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #473

Thanks man. Obviously couldn't have done it without you.

Jon's warped mind is already concocting something that might just take it to a new level.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #474

btw - Ol' Red's nickname is Zippy.

Because there are more zip ties holding him together than bolts and clips.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #476

It's a good thing Ol' Red isn't a quasi daughter of mine. Or else I wouldn't let you two goons sodomize him on a regular basis.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #478

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And behind this picture?

The man, the myth, the legend himself. That's right, TW's own Rembrant of Rattlecan

Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #480

Hey - that umbrella looks like it has eyelids and projector retrofits.

It's badass looking.

Products Discussed in this Thread