Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Madjik Man's laugh-at/with-him "build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #41
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
madjik_man, did you end up plasti-derpin' it or just went with paint?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #42
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Good choice. I had just put electrical tape on mine...was too lazy to tape off lol
Okay... I may need to edit the first line of the first post
Old 04-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #43
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
madjik_man, did you end up plasti-derpin' it or just went with paint?
Paint.

Took 320 fine grit sandpaper to the handles. Used a tack cloth to clean it of any dust.

Three light coats of primer

Three light coats of rustoleum semi-gloss

No clear coat... which will probably end up being their demise.

Hey... did you paint your exhaust tip? Or is that just the lighting?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #44
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Hey... did you paint your exhaust tip? Or is that just the lighting?
haha no. that's just the lighting. that's the only chrome thing remaining
Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #45

Quote:
haha no. that's just the lighting. that's the only chrome thing remaining
This is what I plan on doing (lest the TRD detail)... cause mine is just a rusted piece of crap right now... looks awful.

From xxTheFolioxx's build:

Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #46
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I'm still debating on doing that as well... might get to it sometime this summer
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #47

Things I've learned:

1. Spring in Colorado is not a good time to spray paint anything. It's always breezy and there's always some sort of pollen or tree part flying around.

2. I really need some indoor space to set up a make-shift paint booth. (see #1)

3. I am nowhere near patient enough to ever be a good spray painter.

4. Mechanics aside, "good enough" is fine by me (see #3)

So I couldn't stand the gray/blue shifter boot(s) in contrast with the black console assembly and trim. So I vinyl dyed the shifter boot(s) black

Installed (looks so much better in person than in this pic). Loving the black shifter boot(s)

Next on the list to potentially ruin spray painting was the faded cowl.

Before:

After:

Also did my wiper arms, as you can (hopefully) discern above ^

Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #48

Next up:

Vinyl dyeing the bumper valence and repainting the rear bumper to be semi-gloss
Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #49
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Dude do the whole interior black! That would be SAWEET!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
Dude do the whole interior black! That would be SAWEET!
At this rate, it'll happen quickly.

I'm going to do a lot more black, with the exception of the top of the dash (I think)

That blue/gray color is perfect for having its reflection blend in to the asphalt when it's sunny out (does that make sense?) Plus a black dash in Colorado's sun is not fun.

But the door trim and the rest of the dash trim, etc will be black.

Even thinking about doing to the door carpet.

And eventually will replace the interior carpet with black
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #51

Wire brushed all the rust off my exhaust tip and painted it

Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #52
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice! Haha I see you finally got around to doing that! Looks good
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #53
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I'd take the mudflap brackets off though to clean up the look a little. Just a suggestion
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #54

Quote:
Looks good! I'd take the mudflap brackets off though to clean up the look a little. Just a suggestion
Yeah, I'm about to go outside, take all the mud flap brackets off, clean them up and spray them down with rust reformer primer (just in case).

Take off and clean up all the mud flaps real well (something I don't really incorporate into my normal wash routine) and give them a nice 303 treatment.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Nice! Haha I see you finally got around to doing that! Looks good
Thanks.

FYI if you ever do this, most primers are not heat rated enough for the exhaust.

So I just wire brushed it, cleaned it, then sprayed the high heat (grill paint - 1200 degrees F) directly on it.

I'll let you know how it holds up.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #56
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks.

FYI if you ever do this, most primers are not heat rated enough for the exhaust.

So I just wire brushed it, cleaned it, then sprayed the high heat (grill paint - 1200 degrees F) directly on it.

I'll let you know how it holds up.
sounds good man! thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm about to go outside, take all the mud flap brackets off, clean them up and spray them down with rust reformer primer (just in case).

Take off and clean up all the mud flaps real well (something I don't really incorporate into my normal wash routine) and give them a nice 303 treatment.
Done

And done

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #58

In case you're wondering these are the conditions under which I'm trying to spray paint... on top of constant breezes.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #59

Pulled all the dash trim pieces out, primed and painted them black. I'm kind of hung up on whether or not to keep them semi-gloss or not. They're glossier than the OEM trim pieces (stereo faceplate, gauge cluster surround, etc) but I don't want the grungy look of flat. I like the ease of clean up with the semi-gloss so far. Maybe I'll try to find something in between flat and semi-gloss... Is that matte or satin?

Below is a before shot... they're drying in the garage because of all the cottonwood flying

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #60
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
^^ I would do that too. Change my brown int > black. But I think the smell would kill me especially with the summer heat comin.

Products Discussed in this Thread