1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

from clunk to squish - my 99 build is underway...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by sledder, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Aug 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    sledder

sledder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Little-fun
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD 3.4V6 manual
    IVD front coilovers, SPC/Light Racing UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf springs, OME Nitrochargers, Timbren bump stops, sliders, clear lenses (all corners), and cheap-ass spray in bedliner from previous owner. stereo and alarm.
    And so the knuckle bustin begins...
    [​IMG]

The old suspension was quite tired. Time to find it a new home. Here's what's going in:

• IVD front coil overs
    • Light racing UCAs
    • Alcan 8 leaf spring packs
    • Timbren bump stops
    • OME Nitrochargers
    • ProComp stainless brake lines
    • EBC slotted and drilled rotors, EBC pads
    • .5 pints of blood
    • 1 bottle of tequila, level of which will be inversely proportional to my frustration level
    Anyone in the CO/S. denver area with advice, stories of past experiences or just plain mockery, fire away! And if you want to stop by and lend a hand, I will keep you well hydrated with malty beverages.

I'll post pics of the job when it's all done.

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 1:05 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  3. Aug 29, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    sledder

sledder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Little-fun
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD 3.4V6 manual
    IVD front coilovers, SPC/Light Racing UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf springs, OME Nitrochargers, Timbren bump stops, sliders, clear lenses (all corners), and cheap-ass spray in bedliner from previous owner. stereo and alarm.
    she's rolling again! after a long week of late nights and cancelled weekend plans, it's mostly done. Took it out for a quick spin around the block after getting it all put back together late last night, what a difference!!

I will get a write up and pics posted later but I wanted to give the popcorn eating gallery an update. Need to book an alignment today and see if the shop has a spanner wrench to up the coils in the front about another .5 inches to level it off just a bit more. Hopefully won't lose too much ride quality, but should be ok from what I've read about the IVDs.

Thanks again Johnny at Wheelers, great help and customer service. Oh - and tell the Timbren folks to check their packaging to make sure the washers are included!

@Konaborne - nice ride, I like the color! :cool:

4. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    sledder

sledder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Little-fun
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD 3.4V6 manual
    You mean those fancy internets visual aids? Got 'em right here for yas:

Starting in on the rear springs/shocks:
    [​IMG]

The spare tire was the first hurdle. Previous owner had spare tire lock but the lock key was not with the jack handle. Out of some kind of divine luck, a buddy had the right one. Only set me back 1 day...

Springs were a bit rusty and lodged. No amount of PBR was going to free them up. Bring out the sawzall/hacksaw/sledge/prybar:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear springs/shocks are in! The Timbren bump stops didn't have the washers included and one of the studs was a bit short. Not a huge deal to rectify.
    [​IMG]

Had to cut off the ball joint stud to get my shorter 2-jaw puller over a socket to press out the joint from the steering knuckle. Props to the missus for holding the ball joint stud still with some channel locks while I sawzalled away!
    [​IMG]

Light at the end of the tunnel - new drilled/slotted EBC rotors (GreenStuff pads not shown)
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Paul and Victor at Axis Automotive in Littleton for the custom mounting brackets for the new brake lines as well as the alignment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Std. 2RZ-FE 2WD
    Axle wrap mod (Shackled), 140 Amp Alternator & Wires, HID Headlights, Brush Guard Grille, Hella 550 Driving Lights. |Saving:Total Chaos.|
    looking good brotha

6. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

We need more built gold 1st gen tacos on the site.

Looks good!

Products Discussed in

To Top