Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

WTB: Diff Drop Kit

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Beating Anorexia since 1976
OmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OmahaStylee's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine new for $30

>link<
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
OmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I literally just sat down at the computer to find this after re-installing my skid plates...

They're on, although it took some time.
First off - the ONLY time I have ever taken my skid plates off was for the diff drop kit install which was done about 3 months ago,
and I just now got around to re-installing them because I'm headed out on a road trip to Colorado tomorrow morning.

I started with the front 3 bolts (the middle one first because it's the longest) and worked my way back.

2 things that I noticed:
1.) The holes toward the back of the front main skid plate and the two on the secondary skid plate didn't want to line up exactly, but I was able to coax the bolts in - hopefully without ruining the threads.
2.) speaking of threads, the diff drop kit comes with two new longer replacement bolts paired up with a block spacer & 2 washers for each bolt.
These go in the main (front) skid plate, it'll become obvious when you see it. The heads on my replacement bolts were 13mm, which is a little bit of a nuisance because all the other bolt heads are 12mm. The threads on the two replacement bolts I received did not play nice with the holes in which they belong. I pulled one of them & compared side by side to one of the factory bolts - the threads seem to line up exactly, the only difference being that the factory bolt threads are much shorter & round while the threads on the new bolts are more pointy & a bit taller when viewed from a side profile.
I only got the replacement bolts in about 5 turns.
Good enough to hold in place (extremely tight) until I can find something different.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Oh, intall... I didn't do it.

I had a torn CV boot, so while my mechanic was installing new CV shaft I had him put in my TOYTEC coil overs, diff drop kit and power steering rack bushing kit.