Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

Need help deciding

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Need help deciding

Hello folks,

I've been shopping around for a used Tacoma. I am hoping to get some input here on the pros/cons of owning a 1st Gen over a 2nd Gen Tacoma. Also, what are some of things to look for/avoid with the truck (specific items Tacoma owners have come to know about: areas that might be prone to a leak, creaks, groans, etc.). Any notable recalls?

I'll do a detailed Search here, especially on the items the members feel are the more important to watch for. Any help to dial in on a vehicle is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
HellO Kevin... Welcome to the forum!

What is your budget ?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Budget

Hello Neon,

I'm trying to stay below $15K, but of course, mileage and features plus the vehicle condition have a lot to do with that. I'd say that most the vehicles I've been sizing up have been between $12-15K, under 100K miles and Prerunner/4x4 Extracabs.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to Tacoma World from Nova Scotia.

Frank
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Pardon my oversight

Thanks for the Welcome folks! I was surprised to get a quick response and got right to business and forgot my manners.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
PreRunner

Certified would be good, but most vehicles I'm researching are either too old or with higher miles. But you never know...

I'd prefer a PreRunner: right stance but a 4X2. In the Northeast, mostly 4X4s for the winter months. The Toyota dealers here can't even order PreRunners. Closest is Maryland I'm told. So I have used broad Searches on Use Car websites to draw in the PreRunners into the mix. That said, 4x4 for the winter isn't a bad thing, but I'm after better FE than the V6s are delivering.

So, I've concentrated most of my looking on I4s 2004 and older. I think that the 2nd gen appeals to me when it comes to the bed configuration as it looks like a 4x8 sheet of ply will slide between the rear wheel wells. Looks of either generation work for me, but I suppose the 2005 and newer Tacomas offer a little more elbow room. But my family is still small, so the 1st gen seems to workout just fine.

I've driven a few 1st gen vehicles of late, V6s and I4s. Power difference is noticable, but not starkly different. Both seem to ride the same: weight is probably pretty even. A couple of the vehicles smell musty inside, so I wonder about leaks in the cabin. I didn't see any noticable staining, but so I thought I'd post here to see what shakes out. So with that said, I'll turn it back over to the Tacoma owners to give some pros/cons about the different generation vehicles.

Thanks again!

Kevin