Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

WTB: Roof Rack

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
03IRPTacomaDC is on a distinguished road
03IRPTacomaDC's Tacoma Gallery
WTB: Roof Rack

Hello,

I'm looking for an OEM Roof Rack, but would consider others.

I have a Double Cab.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
digitalferg is on a distinguished road
digitalferg's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the OEM roof rack on my 2002 DoubleCab. I like it just fine, but I'm not against parting with it for some $$...

I have no idea how hard they are to take on and off and how much work it'd take to install on another truck that didn't have it originally.... I am familiar with 1st gen Nissan Frontiers and their roofs and racks, and there was extra supports built into the interior roofs on them, but folks have added the racks on them no problem. I'm thinking it'd be about the same but I'd need to research it a bit--I'm sure there's some info out there somewhere.

I'm more concerned with the holes mine would have left in the roof after being removed....but I'm sure they could be patched up.

Not sure what its worth really either...haven't looked into it....but to have to patch holes up nicely after being removed, I personally would need a decent amount of $$ to even want to do it. Like around $500 or so.

Anyway....there's some thoughts from me on it... lol
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
If you dont have the factory installed holes and such its not worth it. Its 8 bolts that mount it to the roof
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It would be cheaper to go aftermarket
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
I would like to see the instructions on how to install this. What is really needed and if mine didn't come with a factory roof rack is there something in the roof i would need too?

I don't know if it would be worth it to remove it for the sake of selling it. it would be expensive to have the holes welded/bondo and painted.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

from custom tacos
Re: OEM double cab roof rack
The OEM Double Cab roof rack was installed at the factory. The Double Cabs ordered with the rack were 'special', because an additional reinforcement / rib was added to the roof specifically to help with the rack.

After a year or so Toyota decided it wasn't worth the trouble and discontinued the factory rack. Not enough buyers were ordering them to justify the hassle of the special body work for so few trucks on the assembly line.

According to reports, Toyota never permitted the OEM rack supplier (whose name I forget) to offer the same racks as separate / aftermarket items.

This is why the factory roof racks are rare.

It's never been clear if there's a problem with installing a factory rack on a DC that didn't have the special rib / reinforcement in the roof.

Bottom Line: Unless you're patient enough to wait for one to show up at a recycler / eBay / CraigsList / whatever, you may as well give up and go with an aftermarket rack.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
digitalferg is on a distinguished road
digitalferg's Tacoma Gallery
I was just gonna link that as well...

Here's another decent read with some good thoughts/points.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-Cab-Roof-Rack
Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen one near my shop in Vegas. I could always stop by and ask if he is willing to part with it.......just give me the word!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
oso is on a distinguished road
oso's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread but im looking for a OEM roof rack for my 04 double cab, and i know that there is a whole bunch of aftermarket out there but i like how the OEM looks, I have a body shop that can install it and do the necessary adjustments to it to make it work so that is covered , but what is not covered is the $$$$ they want for a OEM one, so with that said if anyone is or know someone that is selling please let me know thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso View Post
I know this is an old thread but im looking for a OEM roof rack for my 04 double cab, and i know that there is a whole bunch of aftermarket out there but i like how the OEM looks, I have a body shop that can install it and do the necessary adjustments to it to make it work so that is covered , but what is not covered is the $$$$ they want for a OEM one, so with that said if anyone is or know someone that is selling please let me know thanks in advance
Look at the above link posted has all the parts listed
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
how did i miss that link? still hoping to find one, but not for 1500!!!