LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

Seem like a scam?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an ebay fraud investigator. Send my your $2100 and I'll personally guarantee that you'll get your truck.

Honest.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
VeeSix is on a distinguished road

Army: 3rd US Infantry, 1983 - 87
Name: Ryan
VeeSix's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so granted it's an obvious scam, but how does it work? I don't see where they ask for money for payment before shipment...is that what would come next? It sounds in the ad like they ship it for 5 days approval, then you send payment if you like it.

I guess they rope you in as a mark, then start "needing money" to pay for this or that fee or tax or license, or to pay the shipping company...etc. etc. until you're into them for a grand or two and then they disappear?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSix View Post
OK, so granted it's an obvious scam, but how does it work? I don't see where they ask for money for payment before shipment...is that what would come next? It sounds in the ad like they ship it for 5 days approval, then you send payment if you like it.

I guess they rope you in as a mark, then start "needing money" to pay for this or that fee or tax or license, or to pay the shipping company...etc. etc. until you're into them for a grand or two and then they disappear?
One of the details omitted in that message, but that will be in the next message is that the $2100 will need to be deposited into Ebay Motors Escrow Account.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
you should tell her you can actually meet up with her in chicago due to an upcoming business trip and can look at the vehicle at that time
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
I don't care about you!
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Scam and a half....
Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
robssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Sure smells like a scam. Offer to come to Chicago and pick it up. See what she says to that You could also suggest Auto Escrow. Auto Escrow is a third party that oversees online vehicle purchases.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #28
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIB83 View Post
Definitely a scam. I dont think anyone in their right mind would sell a 2002 4x4 tacoma for that amount. Specially if its in excellent condition like she says. Even if its part of a divorce settlement i would think that a legit person would only list it a couple grand under kbb value not 1/3 cost of kbb if she just wanted to get rid of it quickly. I say stay away.
My friend bought a 2003 4 door TRD prerunner 6" fabtech brand new 305/70/16 BF KO tires on weld 16x12, intake and exhaust ,Thule rack and other mods for $3k and the price of used Tacomas here is crazy high only thing is someone hit the tire and snapped the passenger leaf spring that's it no damage to bumper or bed

Here's the truck after we went to pull some guys out but had 15x14 welds in this pic he got hung up in a mud hole but insisted to get himself out and did just that locker for the win
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #29
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Strike 6, you already gave her your phone number.
This is a canned message, not a personal reply.
"Truck" in the first msg and "car" in the second.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #30
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburglar View Post
Her:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my truck. The truck is a 2002 Toyota Tacoma with 124,098, in great shape, no problems, damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this truck and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this truck has to go.

Please read bellow all the information about the truck: ( I got all the info from the owners manual )

Price : $2.100.00
Year : 2002
Toyota
Model : Tacoma
Mileage: 124,098
Body Style: Extended Cab Pickup
Exterior Color: Lunar Mist Metallic
Interior Color: Gray
Fuel: Gasoline
Engine: 3.4L V6 24V MPFI DOHC
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD
Doors: 2

I will wait your e-mail if you are still interested.
Thank you

Me:

Hi Susan thank you for your response, i am very interested in purchasing your truck. Is the Truck located in Salt Lake City? If so, could I come take a look at today or this weekend? Anyways very interested as I said I hope we can work things out between us. Hope to hear from you, can also reach me at (my number) or just email me back.

her:

Hello again,

Thanks for getting back to me. As I told you in my first email, I got a new job and moved to Chicago, IL. The car is now at the shipping company warehouse in Chicago, ready to be delivered. I prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. let me explain how it works:

The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the car prior to make any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my cost. So if you want to start this deal I need the following details from you:

Full name and address for shipping, and also the phone number.

After I will have all those details from you I will forward them to eBay so we can proceed with this transaction, and they can open a case regarding our deal. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal. Once again I assure you that the car is in perfect condition just like I describe it. The title is clear and will come with the car. I'm sorry this isn't a local deal but I hope I can make it up with the great condition and the great price that I'm selling the car.

Waiting your email with the requested details.

Thank you

I saw the ad posted in a local classifieds website, and all the pictures look really sweet but Obviously the price is extremely low. I ran the VIN and nothing showed up which, could be a good thing or it could really not mean anything at all... Anyways I've never dealt with ebay motors before, does this seem like a standard procedure? Sending me the car with no shipping cost and 5 full days to return it with again no cost to me, I know that isn't cheap to send a truck halfway across the country and back. Any thoughts?
straight scam price too low and if any post ever mention EBAY MOTORS and SHIPPING COMPANY/WAREHOUSE its total scam
Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Yup total scam
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 12 n msarng
Name: Matt
06texasedition's Tacoma Gallery
It's a scam eBay motors does not have anything to do unless it's directly off their eBay motors site. I have been scammed before for $2700 on a motorcycle
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I can't believe some of you guys still fall or even have have to question if this is a scam. The whole selling car sealed in a shopping container will only take wire transfer to my bank account is as old as the Nigerian email scam.... Shaking my head.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Well I know who I am going to e-mail tonight for shits and giggles
You should see if she wants the d. She just got divorced after all.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #36
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
These scams are eas to spot on CL. They use various vehicles "for sale". Popular ones are Tacomas, Wrangler Saharas and Airstreams. I've contacted a couple of these from a blocked email for grins and told them I was "just around the corner in their city" and I could stop by. They immediately stop corressponding with me.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #37
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Guaranteed scam. I have read at least 10 of these EXACT same scams for vehicles. The giveaway is the "ebay" motors thing. Long story, but I suggest you do not use this.
+1. Unless you buy it through e-Bay they have no involvement in car sales.

Grammar check also highlights how it's a scam.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #38
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
They usally ask for a western union deposit of 1000 or more and they basically gain a new identity when you give them your full name adress and phonenumber and they can do plenty with that and noticed you can never call the people selling the trucks for these prices...
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #39
Daburglar is on a distinguished road
Daburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Wow didnt expect this many replies. Anyways I really kind of was curious as to how this kind of scam worked, for one I wasn't too familiar with how Ebay Motors worked out these sort of deals, which seems that they don't really have any obligations to this deal. Also, "she" seemed really punctual in the ad, which doesn't seem to common for scam type of deals, and it wasn't found on craigslist like some of you are saying.

Anyways I gave her a few more replies and she responded every time not with my name which that on top of everything else seemed a little weird. And once the talk of a Western union Money transfer came up I was out of there haha
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
They usally ask for a western union deposit of 1000 or more and they basically gain a new identity when you give them your full name adress and phonenumber and they can do plenty with that and noticed you can never call the people selling the trucks for these prices...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburglar View Post
Wow didnt expect this many replies. Anyways I really kind of was curious as to how this kind of scam worked, for one I wasn't too familiar with how Ebay Motors worked out these sort of deals, which seems that they don't really have any obligations to this deal. Also, "she" seemed really punctual in the ad, which doesn't seem to common for scam type of deals, and it wasn't found on craigslist like some of you are saying.

Anyways I gave her a few more replies and she responded every time not with my name which that on top of everything else seemed a little weird. And once the talk of a Western union Money transfer came up I was out of there haha
Yep theres your bug.