Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

Seem like a scam?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Daburglar is on a distinguished road
Daburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Seem like a scam?

Her:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my truck. The truck is a 2002 Toyota Tacoma with 124,098, in great shape, no problems, damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this truck and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this truck has to go.

Please read bellow all the information about the truck: ( I got all the info from the owners manual )

Price : $2.100.00
Year : 2002
Toyota
Model : Tacoma
Mileage: 124,098
Body Style: Extended Cab Pickup
Exterior Color: Lunar Mist Metallic
Interior Color: Gray
Fuel: Gasoline
Engine: 3.4L V6 24V MPFI DOHC
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD
Doors: 2

I will wait your e-mail if you are still interested.
Thank you

Me:

Hi Susan thank you for your response, i am very interested in purchasing your truck. Is the Truck located in Salt Lake City? If so, could I come take a look at today or this weekend? Anyways very interested as I said I hope we can work things out between us. Hope to hear from you, can also reach me at (my number) or just email me back.

her:

Hello again,

Thanks for getting back to me. As I told you in my first email, I got a new job and moved to Chicago, IL. The car is now at the shipping company warehouse in Chicago, ready to be delivered. I prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. let me explain how it works:

The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the car prior to make any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my cost. So if you want to start this deal I need the following details from you:

Full name and address for shipping, and also the phone number.

After I will have all those details from you I will forward them to eBay so we can proceed with this transaction, and they can open a case regarding our deal. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal. Once again I assure you that the car is in perfect condition just like I describe it. The title is clear and will come with the car. I'm sorry this isn't a local deal but I hope I can make it up with the great condition and the great price that I'm selling the car.

Waiting your email with the requested details.

Thank you

I saw the ad posted in a local classifieds website, and all the pictures look really sweet but Obviously the price is extremely low. I ran the VIN and nothing showed up which, could be a good thing or it could really not mean anything at all... Anyways I've never dealt with ebay motors before, does this seem like a standard procedure? Sending me the car with no shipping cost and 5 full days to return it with again no cost to me, I know that isn't cheap to send a truck halfway across the country and back. Any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
BrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant futureBrttClne22 has a brilliant future

Name: Britt
BrttClne22's Tacoma Gallery
Scam up and down. I can't remember exactly what the rest of their scheme is but never trust someone that tries to ship something on Craigslist
Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Daburglar is on a distinguished road
Daburglar's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/977425?ad_cid=4

Here's the actual ad
Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
JIB83 is on a distinguished road
JIB83's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely a scam. I dont think anyone in their right mind would sell a 2002 4x4 tacoma for that amount. Specially if its in excellent condition like she says. Even if its part of a divorce settlement i would think that a legit person would only list it a couple grand under kbb value not 1/3 cost of kbb if she just wanted to get rid of it quickly. I say stay away.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Kilo Kilo is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Kyle
Kilo Kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Scam. The "I just got divorced and need to sell this car cheap" ad is somewhat well known. Don't trust anything involving "shipping companies" either. The email mentions a deal with eBay motors, but this isn't posted on eBay and eBay doesn't arrange for anything other than posting the ad. Nothing came up with the VIN because it's not a real VIN.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Well I know who I am going to e-mail tonight for shits and giggles
Old 10-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, there's multiple various of those scams. It's super old cause I remember encountering it when I was in the market for a bike like 10+ years ago.

Usually if you have to ask if it's scam, it is a scam.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburglar View Post
Her:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my truck. The truck is a 2002 Toyota Tacoma with 124,098, in great shape, no problems, damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this truck and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this truck has to go.

Please read bellow all the information about the truck: ( I got all the info from the owners manual )

Toyota
Model : Tacoma
Exterior Color: Lunar Mist Metallic
Interior Color: Gray
Fuel: Gasoline
Doors: 2

I will wait your e-mail if you are still interested.
Thank you

Me:

Hi Susan thank you for your response, i am very interested in purchasing your truck. Is the Truck located in Salt Lake City? If so, could I come take a look at today or this weekend? Anyways very interested as I said I hope we can work things out between us. Hope to hear from you, can also reach me at (my number) or just email me back.

her:

Hello again,

Thanks for getting back to me. As I told you in my first email, I got a new job and moved to Chicago, IL. The car is now at the shipping company warehouse in Chicago, ready to be delivered. I prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. let me explain how it works:

The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the car prior to make any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my cost. So if you want to start this deal I need the following details from you:

Full name and address for shipping, and also the phone number.

After I will have all those details from you I will forward them to eBay so we can proceed with this transaction, and they can open a case regarding our deal. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal. Once again I assure you that the car is in perfect condition just like I describe it. The title is clear and will come with the car. I'm sorry this isn't a local deal but I hope I can make it up with the great condition and the great price that I'm selling the car.

Waiting your email with the requested details.

Thank you

I saw the ad posted in a local classifieds website, and all the pictures look really sweet but Obviously the price is extremely low. I ran the VIN and nothing showed up which, could be a good thing or it could really not mean anything at all... Anyways I've never dealt with ebay motors before, does this seem like a standard procedure? Sending me the car with no shipping cost and 5 full days to return it with again no cost to me, I know that isn't cheap to send a truck halfway across the country and back. Any thoughts?
Guaranteed scam. I have read at least 10 of these EXACT same scams for vehicles. The giveaway is the "ebay" motors thing. Long story, but I suggest you do not use this.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
hnmorris4 is on a distinguished road

hnmorris4's Tacoma Gallery
Aside from everything else printed out, check out her apostrophes. They are super weird. Always look for typos and other things that could indicate someone isn't familiar with English...good indicator someone outside the US or unfamiliar with the English language is trying to scam you.

. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this truck and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
I recently moved.. I stopped there... well beside the fact if you have to ask is it a scam, it is a scam.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
what a scambag.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Tell Susan to go suck some d!cks
Old 10-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds legit to me... Hell no dude its a scam if you want to buy a Tacoma you go look at it in person
Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my truck

That alone = scam . Who even says that lol
Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
typical CL scam
Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
P.s. ill sell my truck 2100 no scam
Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburglar View Post
Because of my divorce settlement, i own this truck and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it
Strike 1, personal sob story.
If she did not have a license, she would not be getting the truck in the settlement... she'd be getting something else, or the court would have ordered the truck sold and the cash given to her.
Quote:
so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this truck has to go.
Strike 2, personal sob story deepens....
Quote:
Strike 3, WAAAY too cheap. $6,000 would be too cheap for an '02 V6 4x4.
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me. As I told you in my first email, I got a new job and moved to Chicago, IL. The car is now at the shipping company warehouse in Chicago, ready to be delivered.

Strike 4, you can't view the vehicle and it is not in the same state as the seller.
Quote:
I prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. let me explain how it works:

Strike 5, Ebay Motors does not offer this service.
Quote:
and also the phone number.

Strike 6, you already gave her your phone number.
This is a canned message, not a personal reply.
Quote:
Strike 7, back to talking about a service that does not exist.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
right on Rich.