LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

WTB gas door lock

Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Pink Taco Lover
sonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud of
sonjason's Tacoma Gallery
WTB gas door lock

Anybody got a lock for the fuel door that works and has a key? How much shipped to 28786?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed06texasedition is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 12 n msarng
Name: Matt
06texasedition's Tacoma Gallery
I been looking for one for over a year dealership wants 80 for lock
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
MOTACO is on a distinguished road
MOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
If you only need the small plastic arm that goes on the end of the lock cylinder (which latches the fuel door closed), then check out this link:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27563

I downloaded the files and had a local company print them on their 3D printer. I haven't assembled it yet. I probably won't get to it for another few weeks but once I do, I'll post up a review here.

If you decide to go the same route and can't find a local 3D printer, just let me know and I'll put you in contact with the company that I used. They can print the part and mail it to you for a very reasonable fee (I paid $10).
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
trailbikerider is on a distinguished road

trailbikerider's Tacoma Gallery
^I would definitely be interested in that.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
garyp is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
garyp's Tacoma Gallery
I need this part also.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
"If you decide to go the same route and can't find a local 3D printer, just let me know and I'll put you in contact with the company that I used. They can print the part and mail it to you for a very reasonable fee (I paid $10)."

Why not post up the link, I am nowhere near a facility with a 3D printer, I have been looking for this part for three years, refuse to pay the dealer $80....

Update: Downloaded files (I think you only need the big one), but there is a lock on the files when accessing the file, so useless even if I found a shop with a 3D printer....does the shop that built yours still have the file on hand that you used?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I got one.

I'm parting out a 1998.

$35 for the whole door, lock and key.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are pics. I can't seem to post them in a pm.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
garyp is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
garyp's Tacoma Gallery
Don't need the door, just lock.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
MOTACO is on a distinguished road
MOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
My part was 3D printed by Ely Scot Enterprises, LLC. I worked with Justin, the Director of Product Development. He was very professional and helpful throughout the process. If you're interested in using his company, I'd suggest that you email him. Here's a link to their website:

http://elyscot.com/

They may still have the 3D part files, I don't know. I had no problem downloading the files from:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27563

You will need both the small and the large parts 3D printed. Though I haven't installed it yet, from what I understand, the small part (essentially a plastic disc with a slot in the middle) slides onto the lock first. It is then rotated 1/2 turn. Then the large part slides on the lock and the small disc is glued or plastic welded to the large part, thereby securing the large part onto the lock.

From my brief handling of the 3D printed parts and the lock cylinder, I think there may be an issue with how the spring attaches to the new 3D printed part. The original plastic part had a plastic skirt that extend in towards the lock body, to which the spring attached. The new 3D printed part lacks that skirt. When I get around to installing the part, and attaching that spring, I'll post how I resolved the spring issue.

This doesn't appear to be a simple or perfect fix. But it may be the most economically viable fix, apart from purchasing a whole new lock.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
kurts74 is on a distinguished road
kurts74's Tacoma Gallery
That is excellent info about the 3D printer and making that arm. I could have used that last year, I looked for a long time but could not find that piece. So if it helps anyone what I ended up using was a small metal rod (hallow). Cut a notch in one end, slipped it over the metal T (part of the lock) and clamped the other end with a squeeze from some pliers. It ended up looking good, its functional and cost <$1.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
tacotundra is on a distinguished road
tacotundra's Tacoma Gallery
i keep looking at buying a 3d printer.. i see the prices are coming down on them...

I replaced my lock last year i bought in from a online dealer paid like 50 bucks for it...
Old 02-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Here are pics. I can't seem to post them in a pm.

Hello, Quick question...Does the 98 gas door fit out 1st Gen trucks? If so i would like to purchase it. 03 is my year
I have always wanted the locking gas door as i have had on my older year Tacomas.

Thank you for your time

>G
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

I'll have to check. I have an 04 with no lock. The doors look the same, but there is no latch for the lock to grab. It may be as simple as changing the cap bezal to make it work. Be advised that I already sold the lock, but still have door. Will check when it get light on Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Pink Taco Lover
sonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud ofsonjason has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
I got one.

I'm parting out a 1998.

$35 for the whole door, lock and key.
I don't need the door. Will you take $20 for just the lock and key? By the way I started this thread lol.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #16

I have had lots of interest on my locking door.

Just to be fair, I would rather sell the whole assembly, the door isn't very useful without the key, so I would rather keep everything together.

People have asked if there is a difference. Here are some pics that show what us what.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
Pink Taco Lover
I found these locks on eBay for $55 delivered. Not bad compared to dealer price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacom...86d303&vxp=mtr