Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

FS: New ported 5VZ-FE cylinder heads

Old 04-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Strong Bad is on a distinguished road
Strong Bad's Tacoma Gallery
FS: New ported 5VZ-FE cylinder heads

I have for sale 2 sets of new 5VZ-FE cylinder heads. The heads have been professionally ported, but not finished so further work will be required before they are ready to be used (see pictures below). They have been sitting in my garage for a few years now and I have another set of spares for my completed supercharged 5VZ so I have no use for these. The heads have been ported on both the intake and exhause sides with further machining for oversize valves and clearance of higher lift cams . These are bare heads with only their matching bearing caps, ready for your choice of valves, valve seats, final machining and clean up. Part #s are 11101-69136 for reference. These are race parts so they are sold as is, no warranty. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Price is 500$ per set plus shipping. I am located in Socal and will deliver if local.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Toyatlast is on a distinguished road
Toyatlast's Tacoma Gallery
Still got these
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyatlast View Post
Still got these
Thread date of: 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Last Activity: 04-10-2009 10:57 AM
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
THREAD REVIVAL!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Wow, never expected a response after all this time. In fact yeah I still have i think 2 sets. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Interested

What needs to be done to these. I have torn apart engines and rebuilt them but never rebuilt the heads myself.
Looks like just insert value guides, values and camshaft.
Are valve seats easy to press in? Is there other machining needed?

Also you said they are oversized? By how much and would you know which valve (sizes, years, make) I would need?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyatlast View Post
Still got these
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Thread date of: 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Last Activity: 04-10-2009 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Wow, never expected a response after all this time. In fact yeah I still have i think 2 sets. Let me know if you're interested.
damn chris, you got moted. hahaha moted fuck yeah
Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
damn chris, you got moted. hahaha moted fuck yeah
That's a first. I never see the OP respond on old ass threads like these.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
That's a first. I never see the OP respond on old ass threads like these.
...let alone still have the item.........
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
None more suprised than as me! I have never needed to sell them, I just have no use for them but none the less I in fact 1 spare set left to get rid of.....

For whoever is interested in these heads I would highly recommend they work a with a professional engine builder to make sure everything goes right.

A little history if I may and because I know the question will come up about who did the work.....

These heads were done in house at TRD for a number of 5VZ drag programs, most notably Matt Scranton. I became involved when TRD built a specially supercharged 5VZ for testing the viabilty of using modified 3VZ-FE (92-93 Camry V6) cranks. The idea was instead of the custom forged units they were having made for considerably more $$$ you take the already forged 3VZ crank, offset grind the rod journals and run Chevy small block style rods thus increasing stroke. The motor was built, tuned and turned over to me for my 5VZ powered SCCA Solo2 car. As it would turn out for when the engine was delivered the whole 5VZ drag program was scrapped so they I ended up with a number of spares including the leftover heads.

The reason I say it would be best to speak to a engine builder as the heads themselves were done on a computerized CNC so they will need finishing. As for the valve seats, TRD used copper beryllium units they machined in-house, matched to the valves. As for those you will most likely be looking at something aftermarket. I believe the intakes were 2mm oversize and the exhaust are 1mm. The material is up to you. These heads were designed to flow way more air so a matching camshaft setup will be advisable. Notice the machined area so high lift cams will clear. The shim and bucket configuration will need to be changed to a shim under setup at that point. All the more reason to speak to someone who builds Toyota heads. Unfortunatly all the builders at TRD are either gone or unavailable to the public sector. Fat Performance has done alot with Toyota V6's over the years and if you can get ahold of Rick Kemph he would be a great person to start with as he was at TRD around those years. He is constantly busy so he may not be available to actually build them but he could send you on the right path. For example he gave us a 6 month time frame to build a 2ZZ head for SCCA use.

I know the post was long but I hope it answers all your questions. If you have any more feel free to ask. The only issue is this program was 7+ years ago and my motor and build book are in storage awaiting the day that rennovating my house is complete.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Strong bad
Thanks for the history. It seems these are a bit more than standard heads. Can't see myself building them up the way they should be. Will have to pass but thanks again.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Talbotman is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Talbotman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Talbotman
Ok so this is totally wild but you wouldnt still have a set of these or maybe a high lift cam??
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
haha, thread that won't die it seems......

The heads, yes I still have one set. Cams, unfortunately no, the only set I have are in my motor. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... all I can say.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
haha, thread that won't die it seems......

The heads, yes I still have one set. Cams, unfortunately no, the only set I have are in my motor. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
I just might be interested in that set if you still have them by this summer when i go back to work and have some green to spend as im away at college right now. but seeing as this thread is three years old and you still have them im sure you will by this summer lol

how much work would it take to get these heads ready for a cam and put onto the motor would you estimate in $?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Who knows, probably. They are just sitting in their boxes in my attic along with half the other parts and the actual TRD built 5VZ that actually goes into my Solo2 Corolla. 8 years of delays are starting to wear on me. Between an SCCA Prius that delayed the whole program in 05' to home rennovation and now a potential Scion FR-S Solo2 car, I may never get around to finishing the Corolla and I might just sell everything.

As far as how much $$$ to do this.....

This would be REALLY tough to estimate as there are so many variables. At minimum you're in it for cams, shims (any sort of high lift cam will necessitate going to a shim under setup), buckets, retainers, springs, valves (you plan on forced induction then sodium filled exhaust valves might be a good idea) and seats. The heads themselves will need finishing and then your starting to down the path of intake and exhaust manifolds, ECUs, tuning, etc. To be be completely honest these heads are best if your plans are to make a real screamer 5VZ. I don't mean to shy you away but if you (or anyone who wants them) is going to put them to use building the rest of the motor will be just as important as getting these heads right. Call up some reputable engine builders and get an idea from them. There is alot of potential in these motors, you just have to be ready to be crafty to get it out.

I would love to see someone put them to use. I kinda have a soft spot for 5VZs and love seeing them go fast so I'll sit on them till someone wants them. I have 2 other sets I'll keep around should my current motor scatter parts (if I ever finish the car it goes in!). I get email notifications on this thread so if you interested then just post it. Good luck in school!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Fascinating. I would love something like this plus cams and high comp pistons. What car would you put the 5czplant engine in?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
Long and funny story but I built a 5VZ-FE powered 1978 Toyota Corolla liftback way back in 1997-1999. I completed it in late 98' running a modifed TRD supercharger kit and some other trick bits from an SCCA GT-4 Corolla and it ended up as my autocross and track car. I know somebody will call BS but it was featured in the Feb 99 issue of Sport Compact car. My 5VZ was built both as a thank you from TRD for some rather barnyard/ parts bin engineering my father and I did for TRD in the early days of their 5VZ supercharger program and as a testbed for using offset ground 3VZ-FE crankshafts (92-93 Camry) instead of the custom stroker units they were getting made for alot more $$$. A pic from the magazine:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #19

Wow well that's a lot more in depth than I was planning on going lol. Honestly I was thinking of getting a cam and shims and buckets and valves and then I knew I would have to mess with the ecu but I wasn't planning on doing a forced induction system..at least just yet because I have no where near the kind of money to add a forced induction system on top of a top end rebuild
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Gavin is on a distinguished road
Gavin's Tacoma Gallery
Just checking to see if by chance you still have the set of cylinder heads.