1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So-Cal (Wanted): 97 Tacoma V6 Cat Converter.

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (1995-2004)' started by SkareKrow, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Feb 21, 2015 at 6:51 AM
    SkareKrow

SkareKrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    Riverside
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma V6
    Stock
    Hi All I'm in search of a catalytic converter. They stole mine about 6 months ago. I went to a local muffler shop and they welded an aftermarket Catco. I'm thinking it was for a 4 cylinder one. I baby the truck and it lost great power since they welded it on and now all of a sudden it sounds like I have rocks in my exhaust system. Any advice on where to find 1? Or a good aftermarket or even a used OEM cat that is in good working condition. Thanks kindly in advance.

I'm looking for local (Southern California) but if the price is right ill pay for a shipped 1.

For faster reply please text.
    951-858-0817

2. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    quetzal

quetzal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 XtraCab SR5 TRD 4x4 5spd
    All-Pro UCAs, King 2.5 C/Os, All-Pro Expo Leafs, Bilstein 10" Shocks
    These guys hooked me up w/a CA legal aftermarket cat back in July I think, anyway they charged me $250 installed if I remember correctly. I'm sure there are other muffler shops closer to you, just make sure they will pass smog checks.

M & G Auto Repair
    9 West Mission Road
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    United States

3. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    1st4x4

1st4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 5 speed 4x4
    tundra front clip, tundra brakes, cab cage, camburg long travel, archive garage rear shock relocate
    sounds like youve got a clogged cat. they either sold you a pos or a used one had this happen on my utility truck for work. gas milage went down to half of what i was normally getting. make sure you get a good one they dont normally just go bad especially after 6 months id take it back to the shop that did it and ask whats up with that bs

4. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    SkareKrow

Member:
    Riverside
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma V6
    Stock
    For sure out here they charged me $200 for this Catco but I think that it was for a 4 cylinder. Thanks again ill keep that as a last resort.
    :thumbsup:

5. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    SkareKrow

Member:
    Riverside
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma V6
    Stock
    Yeah they sold me a pos for sure. I went back to the shop and it sucked because the guy said well let me show you what is inside a cat. Telling me all this BS that I didn't tune up the truck etc... What a guy. I'm sure he put a 4 cylinder 1. He said well if you want I can do it for 180$ this time to help me out. I said let me think about it. (I wanted to pop him but i left and now I'm searching here).

6. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    1st4x4

1st4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 5 speed 4x4
    tundra front clip, tundra brakes, cab cage, camburg long travel, archive garage rear shock relocate
    thats fucked hopefully you find one. i wouldnt recomend a used one or your going to be in the same boat in a couple months again

7. Apr 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    Mud Digger

Mud Digger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    TRD supercharger, lift, 33's
    Your in ca right? Do you still have your receipt for the Catthe shop installed?? Cause if so, I would go back and tell them you called the BAR, and the BAR told you they are responsible for installing the proper cat, then tell them you came back to give them one chance to make it right. I'm not sure on the law exactly here in ca, but I'm sure there's one about shops installing wrong cats. After all, there's laws for everything here.

Products Discussed in

To Top