1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help deciding

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (1995-2004)' started by Rackster, May 11, 2012.

1. May 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Rackster

Rackster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Hello folks,

I've been shopping around for a used Tacoma. I am hoping to get some input here on the pros/cons of owning a 1st Gen over a 2nd Gen Tacoma. Also, what are some of things to look for/avoid with the truck (specific items Tacoma owners have come to know about: areas that might be prone to a leak, creaks, groans, etc.). Any notable recalls?

I'll do a detailed Search here, especially on the items the members feel are the more important to watch for. Any help to dial in on a vehicle is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

2. May 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    HellO Kevin... Welcome to the forum!

What is your budget ?

3. May 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Hello Neon,

I'm trying to stay below $15K, but of course, mileage and features plus the vehicle condition have a lot to do with that. I'd say that most the vehicles I've been sizing up have been between $12-15K, under 100K miles and Prerunner/4x4 Extracabs.

Kevin

4. May 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to Tacoma World from Nova Scotia.

Frank

5. May 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the Welcome folks! I was surprised to get a quick response and got right to business and forgot my manners.

Kevin

6. May 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Certified would be good, but most vehicles I'm researching are either too old or with higher miles. But you never know...

I'd prefer a PreRunner: right stance but a 4X2. In the Northeast, mostly 4X4s for the winter months. The Toyota dealers here can't even order PreRunners. Closest is Maryland I'm told. So I have used broad Searches on Use Car websites to draw in the PreRunners into the mix. That said, 4x4 for the winter isn't a bad thing, but I'm after better FE than the V6s are delivering.

So, I've concentrated most of my looking on I4s 2004 and older. I think that the 2nd gen appeals to me when it comes to the bed configuration as it looks like a 4x8 sheet of ply will slide between the rear wheel wells. Looks of either generation work for me, but I suppose the 2005 and newer Tacomas offer a little more elbow room. But my family is still small, so the 1st gen seems to workout just fine.

I've driven a few 1st gen vehicles of late, V6s and I4s. Power difference is noticable, but not starkly different. Both seem to ride the same: weight is probably pretty even. A couple of the vehicles smell musty inside, so I wonder about leaks in the cabin. I didn't see any noticable staining, but so I thought I'd post here to see what shakes out. So with that said, I'll turn it back over to the Tacoma owners to give some pros/cons about the different generation vehicles.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Products Discussed in

To Top