Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help with gas mileage?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
brilliantblk92 is on a distinguished road
brilliantblk92's Tacoma Gallery
help with gas mileage?

I got this 03 tacoma about two months ago and i freakin love it. its a v6, auto, rwd, trd package, 4 door. definitely a step up from my last car. its got about 75,000 miles. my only question is that it gets only about 16-17 mpg. is that normal? i kinda expected more with the v6. i'm usually pretty easy on the gas, and mainly drive highway to work and back. any suggestions?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
New plugs and wires, fuel injector cleaner, properly inflated tires, synth fluids all around.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Our V6 will drink up the gas if you get into it . I like to featherfoot it around town-find that lil sweetspot just off idle and allow her to gain speed in her own time. On the freeway get up to speed asap and then hold it steady as possible. Above all, it's a truck..it sits higher than a car so windage is a factor. Tire inflation is key-I like to keep mine inflated to 3-4lbs under max pressure indicated on SIDEWALL OF TIRE-this gives best mileage. Also, believe it or not, keep the surfaces nicely waxed-you'll slip through the wind a little easier
Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
New plugs and wires, fuel injector cleaner, properly inflated tires, synth fluids all around.
Yeah, definately some TLC and maintenance and a few modifications to help.

Tonneau cover & upgraded (better flowing) air filter helps too.

My 96 tacoma had 110K miles on it when I sold it (3.4L manual) and it consistantly got 19mpg half/half city/highway for the 5 years I owned it. I bought it at 60K miles and did all kinds of maintenance (listed above) plus radiator flush, fuel filter change, all fluids including trans, transfer case, diffs, etc. K&N drop-in with deckplate mod (mostly open) and soft tonneau cover. Stock 31" tires with 2" lift.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with all of the above. My 02 averages 19mpg with 3" lift and 33" tires. It's got 125k miles on it. Ive got a soft tonneau cover, K&N drop-in air filter and Mobile1 synthetic motor oil and gear oil. Country driving (not highway or city)
Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Wave rider
BlueSilver will become famous soon enough
BlueSilver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Tire inflation is key-I like to keep mine inflated to 3-4lbs under max pressure indicated on SIDEWALL OF TIRE-this gives best mileage.
People on here keep mentioning maxing out or inflating just under the max pressure.
I do not recommend this. The max tire pressure is the maximum air pressure the tire will safely hold under normal conditions (i.e not towing or under load or high speeds). The max pressure is NOT the recommended pressure of the tire. When you max it out - you are making your truck less stable, greatly increasing the breaking distance and lifting more tread off the road than you should be.

One common problem is car dealerships sell cars with over inflated tires, becuase they know a lot of them will sit on the lot for an extended time. Always check the pressure after buying. The recommended pressure for the manufacturer supplied tires should be on a sticker attached inside the door jam with the VIN#. This pressure (along with the specified tire) has been tested to give the correct balance of safety with breaking, balance and fuel economy. Using another pressure can be dangerous.

Also, if you have your fuel changed at a Jiffy-Lube or other quick-lube joint - they often check and fill your tire pressure. Always check your pressure afterwards becuase they have been known to use the max pressure. (not all lube shops hire educated people).

When you buy new tires make sure you find out what the recommended pressure is.

I spent 3 years with a dealership doing Pre-Delivery Inspections on new vehicles after they arrived from the auto-maker. I also worked for a large, highly accredited tire company.

Do what you need to do, just be smart about it. Any modification you make can have a positive or negative effect, depending on how you educate yourself about it and make the appropriate decision.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Wave rider
BlueSilver will become famous soon enough
BlueSilver's Tacoma Gallery
One last thing..
If you guys remember the Firestone tire recall a few years ago.. This recall was based on the tires being overinflated and not properly checked. This caused accidents, rollover and worse when they exploded on the freeway.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The doorjamb placard wants 26PSI. I tried it and it not only handles like crap, it also takes MORE acceleration to do the normal stuff. That being said, I've been doing this as a regular practice for the entire 7 yrs of the truck's life-77,000 miles no problem. I will add that my tires are like new and have over 40,000 miles on them. THE REPORTS I saw on the Ford rollovers said the tires in question were UNDER INFLATED combined with the short wheelbase of the truck. In short, 3-4 lbs UNDER max pressure is totally safe and a nice medium between tire max and Toyota recommended. When I go to the dealer I request they DO NOT touch my tire pressures because I've caught them EXCEEDING my tires' 35PSI max pressure!! One time they had put 40 PSI all around! So much for dealer tech integrity
Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #10

These are the tires at 40,000 miles, 32PSI. No tread lifting off the ground here
Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously, max pressure affects tire wear. So - you wanna run atleast the minimum. I was running 32psi this winter and when I checked them again in the spring - they were 34psi. I left them that way.

You can check your tire tread wear by putting chalk on your tread the whole way across and drive the chalk line on the road. You should be able to see if the entire tread pattern is hitting the ground.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
The doorjamb placard wants 26PSI. I tried it and it not only handles like crap, it also takes MORE acceleration to do the normal stuff. That being said, I've been doing this as a regular practice for the entire 7 yrs of the truck's life-77,000 miles no problem. I will add that my tires are like new and have over 40,000 miles on them. THE REPORTS I saw on the Ford rollovers said the tires in question were UNDER INFLATED combined with the short wheelbase of the truck. In short, 3-4 lbs UNDER max pressure is totally safe and a nice medium between tire max and Toyota recommended. When I go to the dealer I request they DO NOT touch my tire pressures because I've caught them EXCEEDING my tires' 35PSI max pressure!! One time they had put 40 PSI all around! So much for dealer tech integrity
Over inflation and under inflation are the 2 bad things for tires. As long as the tire is not being inflated past max. psi. the tire will be fine. My Dad, who has been driveing since the wheel, has always used max. psi. in his trucks. He has never had a blowout. I usually put chalk on my tires and fill the tires until 1/4 to 1/2" of tread on the sides still has chalk on it. I have found this gives me the best wear and mpg. Turns out that this happens to be around 32-35 psi. (tires max at 40) I have run them at max. psi. in the past when towing or hauling heavy loads.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
tllstaco is on a distinguished road
tllstaco's Tacoma Gallery
About a month ago, I did a little test. Driving at 70mph, I got about 16mpg. Slowed down to 63mph (my speedo is off) and averaged 18.5mpg. Slowed down to 60mph and got 19.3mpg. Not bad for a double cab with a ton of armor and 33-inch MTs on it. Just recently bought a scangauge, so I'll have to try the test again.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
Johnny99 is on a distinguished road
Johnny99's Tacoma Gallery
Are you all saying that adding long tube headers won't improve MPG on the 6cyl and an AFE air filter?
If so then perhaps the 2.7 is the way to go.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Tinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Tinmann's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSilver View Post
One last thing..
If you guys remember the Firestone tire recall a few years ago.. This recall was based on the tires being overinflated and not properly checked. This caused accidents, rollover and worse when they exploded on the freeway.
Umm, I think the Explorer's rollover problems were due to under-inflation, not over-inflation.

When a tire is under-inflated and rolling down the highway, it creates more heat, has more of a foot print on the roadway and actually squirms from side to side, stressing the sidewalls leading up to a catastrophic failure.

Running an over-inflated tire lifts the tread up off of the roadway surface, reducing its footprint thus running at a lower temp due to less friction. Here is a link I think is an interesting read.

http://fordexplorerrollover.com/expl...rs/Default.cfm

OP, I apologize that it took so long to answer your question. But 16mpg isn't out of the normal range. You should expect 16-19mpg depending upon conditions and your driving habits. I average 16-17mpg combined and have enjoyed 19mpg on the highway with the cruise set between 65-70. It seems that when you go beyond 70mph, the mpg starts to drop off. I have an 02' DC, auto, 4x4, V6. I Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Mine with a bad O2 sensor and bad tires along with me having a lead food, I still average 15 mpg so I'm happy. Def do fuel filter change, plugs n wires, MAF sensor cleaning, throttle body cleaning, air filter change, etc. and you'll be good
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmann View Post
Umm, I think the Explorer's rollover problems were due to under-inflation, not over-inflation.

When a tire is under-inflated and rolling down the highway, it creates more heat, has more of a foot print on the roadway and actually squirms from side to side, stressing the sidewalls leading up to a catastrophic failure.

Running an over-inflated tire lifts the tread up off of the roadway surface, reducing its footprint thus running at a lower temp due to less friction. Here is a link I think is an interesting read.

http://fordexplorerrollover.com/expl...rs/Default.cfm

OP, I apologize that it took so long to answer your question. But 16mpg isn't out of the normal range. You should expect 16-19mpg depending upon conditions and your driving habits. I average 16-17mpg combined and have enjoyed 19mpg on the highway with the cruise set between 65-70. It seems that when you go beyond 70mph, the mpg starts to drop off. I have an 02' DC, auto, 4x4, V6. I Hope this helps.
Actually the rollover problem was the driver. The tire failing, that was underinflation. The softer the tire, them more flex the sidewall has, the more flex the more heat and overall wear. Put that together with a lot of miles, and the sidewall will fail.

If you freak out when you have a failure, you can roll. If you keep your head out of your anus, you pull over and change the tire.