Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Clutch Recomendations for a '02 4x4 2.7L

Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Stuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Stuart
Stuardoslls's Tacoma Gallery
New Clutch Recomendations for a '02 4x4 2.7L

My clutch just started slipping a little bit, and I figure I should replace it before it goes out completely..... any recomendations?

Just to make sure:
It slips at about 2,500 rpm when I give it gas in 3rd and 4th gear... anything else it could be?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely clutch. Make sure you get the whole clutch kit. Stage 4 preferably...
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Stuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of light

Any recommnedations on brands I should consider?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Marlin Crawlers Heavy Duty Clutch

http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/...ch-kit-1200-lb

It is made by Aisin (the manufacturer of Toyota clutches)

It is more heavy duty than stock but will not take extra effort to push - Some heavy duty clutches are really hard to push in.

This should last longer and have good quality.

Make sure you replace or resurface your flywheel
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
1337 h4x0r
Sirlight is on a distinguished road

Sirlight's Tacoma Gallery
Go for the full kit replacement. OEM equivalent or a little better is good. No need for some ultra heavy duty clutch as i dont think you are putting down gobs of power to necessitate it. How long did the OEM one last ?

Clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, throw-out bearing. Kit usually comes with the clutch alignment tool as well. May want to look into a diff plug as well for when you yank the drive shaft ( if you are gonna do it that is )
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. I think the Marlin Crawler is going to be he way to go... I plan on doing a 3"lift and maybe slighty larger tires so I dont think I need much more..

I just bought the truck 4 months ago... Its a 2002 and it only has 44,000 miles on it... That doesnt seem like very great life on a clutch does it?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuardoslls View Post
Its a 2002 and it only has 44,000 miles on it... That doesnt seem like very great life on a clutch does it?
Nope, sounds like someone's been beating that truck to hell. I was able to do insane burnouts in my 2wd taco and it still lasted 144,000.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I think the Marlin Crawler is going to be he way to go... I plan on doing a 3"lift and maybe slighty larger tires so I dont think I need much more..

I just bought the truck 4 months ago... Its a 2002 and it only has 44,000 miles on it... That doesnt seem like very great life on a clutch does it?
the previous owner has no clue how to drive a manual. they probably like to hold the truck on inclines with the clutch
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #9

Hey everyone......Finally ready to get the new clutch............Thinking about getting the Marlin crawler clutch, any other recomendations? Has anyone used the Marlin crawler clutch? any feedback.. would help me out a lot ...Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey everyone......Finally ready to get the new clutch............Thinking about getting the Marlin crawler clutch, any other recomendations? Has anyone used the Marlin crawler clutch? any feedback.. would help me out a lot ...Thanks
I've heard nothing but great things about it.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't replaced mine yet, so these are just other brands I've heard tossed around. Not that any of these are "better" than one from Marlin Crawler, which actually sounds pretty good.

Clutch Masters
Spec
Centerforce
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I've heard nothing but great things about it.
x2

I've heard good things about the Marlin Crawler and ClutchMasters but some bad things about centerforce clutches if not installed correctly.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #13

So I've had my clutch for a couple of months now and I figured I would give a quick update for others refference. The new clutch is great. Ive noticed a big difference in the performance. It grabs under all circumstances. Ive done some pretty rough offroading and it has never slipped even when its gotten hot and has taken abuse.

What inspired the update was something funnier from earlier today. I was pulling out of work made a left and some guy in an M3 hit the corner they way you figure an M3 should be driven. In order for him not to rear end me I gas the tacoma in 1st gear and slammed second, guess what.... the little 4 banger chirped 2nd gear and then went on to chirp 3rd gear..... proof that the clutch will not slip.....

I would reccomend a marlin crawler to everybody
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
URD has clutches in stock for that application ready to ship.

We also have clutches for the new 2TR-FE 2.7L, but they are not on the website yet.

http://www.urdusa.com/More-Products-...141/index.html

G