Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Air Fuel and Oxygen Sensors - quick question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Air Fuel and Oxygen Sensors - quick question

I don't have a check engine light but I've been thinking I should maybe replace my sensor(s) just to prevent any type of problems. The sensor before the cat was replaced about 2 years ago, the one after the cat has never been replaced. Looks like I can get them both for $177 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-9001...amazonquery-20

My question is: are these the correct one's and is Denso a good brand to buy?

2nd question: Will replacing the rear one do anything, or should I replace both?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
denso is a very good brand.if the light is not on i would'nt replace them.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the light . I just cant afford to fix them. What kinda problems could the sensors being out cause other than messed up mpg?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
I've got the light . I just cant afford to fix them. What kinda problems could the sensors being out cause other than messed up mpg?
Running rich, possible build up of carbon in the CC's.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
1337 h4x0r
Sirlight is on a distinguished road

Sirlight's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if the Oxygen sensors arent working, the ECU is unsure of the current running condition of the motor and will TYPICALLY throw the vehicle into limp mode. ( revert to a presaved safer fuel/ignition timing maps. This usually results in running rich to avoid engine damage which = decreased engine efficiency and decreased gas mileage. )

Replace the sensor if you have CEL for an O2 sensor failure. Ive also seen people pull an 02 sensor and spray it down with WD40 or carb cleaner in an effort to band-aid it into working again.

If it aint broken, DONT FIX IT.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I'm confused about these sensors after reading all I could, is it only the upstream sensor that affects mileage? What is the function of the rear sensor, and why is it so much less expensive than the front one?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I'm confused about these sensors after reading all I could, is it only the upstream sensor that affects mileage? What is the function of the rear sensor, and why is it so much less expensive than the front one?
The front is the Air/Fuel sensor, and the back monitors the front one.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
1337 h4x0r

Typically there is a sensor pre catalytic converter and post catalytic converter.
Front usually monitors air/fuel mixture and tells the ECU to adjust accordingly. The back/post cat sensor usually monitors the efficiency of the cat to insure functionality to meet emissions requirements, and serve as another data plot to accurately shoot for a stoichiometric A/F ratio.

Its possible the rear sensor is comprised of cheaper materials due to not having to "sniff" directly unburned fuel/combustion by-products like the front sensor does and hence is cheaper.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
denso is a very good brand.if the light is not on i would'nt replace them.
*seconds motion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
$82 for the rear. Depending on if you are manual or auto $114 or $126 for the rear. Then add the 5% discount code for rockauto.com and it's even cheaper. Which one is bad? It could also be just an exhaust leak.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
the front is the air/fuel mixture.the rear monitors the convertor.so the ecm knows front o2 mixture,and then checks the readings from the rear o2 to check convertor efficiency.if your light is on,your ecm operates from whats called a reference voltage,which will get you by till the repair.(usually a little rich)
Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
my CEL has been on for a week it threw the code for the front. I have the sensor (from rock auto) but havent had time to put it in. However, i am getting better gas mileage (about 2 mpg more) with the light on.pretty weird if you ask me!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie152 View Post
my CEL has been on for a week it threw the code for the front. I have the sensor (from rock auto) but havent had time to put it in. However, i am getting better gas mileage (about 2 mpg more) with the light on.pretty weird if you ask me!
wtf your getting better mpg with the CEL on?? well thats a new one,ive never heard of that happening before.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
wtf your getting better mpg with the CEL on?? well thats a new one,ive never heard of that happening before.
I usually get about 300 miles to a tank. I am at 300 miles right now, and only at a lil less than a quarter of a tank. My driving habits havent changed or anything.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
1337 h4x0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
What would happen if your catalytic converter is not functioning properly?
It wont pass emissions, will likely leave black soot all over your rear fender/ bumper, potential to foul the secondary o2 sensor.

Short of that, its function is for emissions plan and simple.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
1337 h4x0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
If it fouls the secondary o2 sensor, I guess that will make the check engine light come on?
Yes. Typically it would throw a CEL if the cat were dead as well as the secondary o2 would throw a "cat no workie" error.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #18
ExtremeAtheist will become famous soon enoughExtremeAtheist will become famous soon enough

Name: Nick
ExtremeAtheist's Tacoma Gallery
I got the cel and pulled the code for the second o2 sensor, when i pulled the cat, it was empty, I want to install a test pipe and cat back exhaust, how do I get the cel to go out without a secondary o2 sensor?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeAtheist View Post
I got the cel and pulled the code for the second o2 sensor, when i pulled the cat, it was empty, I want to install a test pipe and cat back exhaust, how do I get the cel to go out without a secondary o2 sensor?
Use a URD O2 simulator. www.urdusa.com
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
^ yah that will do the trick,easy as hell install to. the code that it is meant to clear is P0420 IIRC.

Products Discussed in this Thread