Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake Pads wont fit (high not wide)

Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Offroadfreak121 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Offroadfreak121's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Pads wont fit (high not wide)

Hello, So I installed new brake calipers,rotors,pads on my '96 tacoma extra cab 2.7. Everything was fine on the right but on the drivers side the pads sit too high. The clip that rides on the rotor on the bottom of the pad is grinding on the rotor and just wont fit. By grinding I mean A 1/4 inch gash on the disc where the pad sits. What i plan to do unless I hear somthing better is to snip that clip off and hope that removing it will fix the problem. If that won't work I'll buy new pads and try and think of somthing else to do to make that pad fit. All my parts came from NAPA except the caliper in question on the left that came from Advanced Ap. Before I took the core back i looked and measured up the new caliper and they were exactly the same. Any Ideas?

I know this is my first post, but I've got alot of valuable info off this fourm over the last few years and thank you all for it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I'm not fully understanding what the problem is, can you post some pics ? you bought new rotors,calipers & pads for both sides & the passenger side is fine but the drivers side is all jacked up ? Maybe some mis matched parts from NAPA ? Sounds like drivers side is for another model if you did the install just like the passenger side, I dunno, a little more info if ya can bro'......
Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Offroadfreak121 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Offroadfreak121's Tacoma Gallery
Well I had to force the upper pins in just to make everything fit. By force I mean lining up the pins with a punch, then inserting the upper and lower Pins. By doing that, it forced the outer pad down on the disc and that clip on the bottom of the pad is just grinding on the disc where it meshes with the hub. If you need a visual, picture this; looking at you wheel, reaching in whith your hand and feeling the hub part of the rotor you would feel a 1/4 in gash where that clip is grinding away the new rotor. I'll try and post a pic tomarrow, but i have to go out on the river because this fkd up town celebrates the 4th on the 3rd. Thanks