1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Pads wont fit (high not wide)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Offroadfreak121, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jul 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Offroadfreak121

Offroadfreak121 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dubuque
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4
    Monroe off-road shocks, New leafs,Echlin IAC, K&N intake/filter, Snow Plow,JVC USB receiver
    Hello, So I installed new brake calipers,rotors,pads on my '96 tacoma extra cab 2.7. Everything was fine on the right but on the drivers side the pads sit too high. The clip that rides on the rotor on the bottom of the pad is grinding on the rotor and just wont fit. By grinding I mean A 1/4 inch gash on the disc where the pad sits. What i plan to do unless I hear somthing better is to snip that clip off and hope that removing it will fix the problem. If that won't work I'll buy new pads and try and think of somthing else to do to make that pad fit. All my parts came from NAPA except the caliper in question on the left that came from Advanced Ap. Before I took the core back i looked and measured up the new caliper and they were exactly the same. Any Ideas?

I know this is my first post, but I've got alot of valuable info off this fourm over the last few years and thank you all for it.

2. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I guess I'm not fully understanding what the problem is, can you post some pics ? you bought new rotors,calipers & pads for both sides & the passenger side is fine but the drivers side is all jacked up ? Maybe some mis matched parts from NAPA ? Sounds like drivers side is for another model if you did the install just like the passenger side, I dunno, a little more info if ya can bro'......:cool:

3. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    Offroadfreak121

Offroadfreak121 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dubuque
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4
    Monroe off-road shocks, New leafs,Echlin IAC, K&N intake/filter, Snow Plow,JVC USB receiver
    Well I had to force the upper pins in just to make everything fit. By force I mean lining up the pins with a punch, then inserting the upper and lower Pins. By doing that, it forced the outer pad down on the disc and that clip on the bottom of the pad is just grinding on the disc where it meshes with the hub. If you need a visual, picture this; looking at you wheel, reaching in whith your hand and feeling the hub part of the rotor you would feel a 1/4 in gash where that clip is grinding away the new rotor. I'll try and post a pic tomarrow, but i have to go out on the river because this fkd up town celebrates the 4th on the 3rd. Thanks

4. Nov 12, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    98gold

98gold New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 2.7l
    I know this is an 11-year-old thread but I have the same problem on my 98 currently. Either of you guys still around for advice?

5. Nov 12, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP was last seen in 2012. :oops:

@Empty_Lord

6. Nov 12, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    Andy01DblCabTacoma

Andy01DblCabTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab v6 4x4 TRD
    F: Kings SPC, R: 5100s+J59s. Custom armor.
    Pictures would go a long way here.

7. Nov 12, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    Yea I need some photos. Can’t say I’ve ran into anything like the description

Bivouac likes this.
  8. Nov 13, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Pictures please!

Any more so much is boxed wrong .

Could be the pads were returns The vendor looked saw 4 pads never looked closer.

Taco critter likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top