Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No radiator pressure when removing the cap?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
No radiator pressure when removing the cap?

Tonight my 1998 Tacoma overheated. I saw the needle start going up and I shut the engine off. I think I caught it in time. The problem is my pepcock on my brand new radiator is leaking.

When I removed the radiator cap there was no pressure on it. I thought that it might be because the radiator was only 1/2 full of water. So I filled up the radiator.

Now, after running the engine for 15 minutes or so, I can remove the radiator cap and there still is no pressure on it. I thought that it would spray me or something.

It still has the factory radiator cap.

I would appreciate any advice.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Thermostat stuck? Depending on the engine it might be air locked too. There is a process to fill it up.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
It's air locked or the thermostat is stuck. The hot water is not getting to the rad so it's probably so low it can no longer be pumped.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah is your water pump working, how long can you drive until the needle starts to move?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
I drove it home about 20 miles. Outside temp around 75. The needle stayed right on 1/2 way.

I think the water pump is working. With the radiator cap off and the radiator full of water, you can reeve up the engine to 2k and the water will start overflowing out of the radiator.

Also, on my trip home the radiator was picking up water out of the overflow jug. I overfilled the jug in case it lost to much water, when I got home the overflow jug was 3/4 full. Still well about the full mark.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Killer,
Thanks for the update on the fix for your problem.