Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

transfer case leaking

Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
bphillips is on a distinguished road
bphillips's Tacoma Gallery
transfer case leaking

Hey Guys

I have a 2002 Tacoma / auto/4x4/4door that has a transfer case leak. I see a small amount coming from the front input saft seal, which I will replace. The one that concerns me is the leak that appears to be coming down from the top of the case. I read there is a breather filter up there that could be stopped up or the gasket on the plate were the shifter rod is bolted to the top of the case. I used brake clean to clean and dry the whole case. I drove it around town for a month and watched it every day. ( no Leaks ). I drove it to the beach, 250 miles ( 60-75 mph ) and check it when I got there. The case was wet from the top to the bottom and appeared to be running down the sides dripping off the bottom of the case I will replace the input shaft seal tomorrow and would like to know what to do or look for on the other leak. Any help or advice would be great....... thanks, bobby
Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Remove the breather, and clean it. You may want to replace it, as they are cheap.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
bphillips is on a distinguished road
bphillips's Tacoma Gallery
hey chris,
what does the breather look like and where is it located, does it screw off or mounted to a plate or the case...this is my first toyota and i'm learning as i go...thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
hey chris,
what does the breather look like and where is it located, does it screw off or mounted to a plate or the case...this is my first toyota and i'm learning as i go...thanks
The breather hose attaches to the base of the shifter assembly:

Here

Follow the hose up to (IIRC), under the hood, and you will see the hose has a "Cap" on it. Thats the breather. Disconnect the hose at the shifter base, and make sure there are no obstructions.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
^ yah the breather caps are on the wheelwell on the driverside under the hood.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
The breather tube goes from the base of the shifter to the air space between xfer case and transmission and the breather is pressed into this assembly.

My breather was not functioning causing pressure to build. Oil was leaking around the input seal and shifter boot then running down the side of the xfer case.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
hburg2002tacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force: ret Air National Guard MSgt
Name: Don
hburg2002tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I got a leak near the shifter rod. Can I replace this gasket only or do I need to replace all gaskets?
What is this gasket officially called, I'm not a mechanic, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my contribution to the leaking Transfer case...

Mine was getting soaked on both sides... leaking like crazy. I was going to add fluid last night to buy some time till I could tear into it, and realized this was a walk in the park and I could have it fixed in not much more than an hour...

I made my own gaskets out of fel-pro brand gasket paper. It came from Advance auto if I remember right. Basically you just lay the old gasket on it, trace it then cut it out with scissors or an x-acto knife. If you have a single hole hole punch it makes it a lot easier on the bolt hole area. I could not find mine last night, and didn't wanna lose time looking for it. if yours is leaking then the current gaskets should be so oil soaked they peal right off to use as templates.

Quick shot of how bad it was leaking...

Access to the top of the shifter area. Carpet was not even in the way. Just make sure when you put the main boot/seal back in that you get it against the metal of the cab floor and not stuck on top the carpet.

The culprit of the leak...

One gasket traced out...

That little metal plate that goes between the shifter and the transfer case has a gasket on each side. So you gotta make or buy 2 gaskets. I prefer to make them. I cleaned off all the residue and grim on the bottom of the shifter, each side of the metal plate and off the top of the transfer case. Wiped it down with some lacquer thinner to get the oil off. I put a very thin layer of Black RTV on both sides of each gasket for a better chance of a good seal.

There is a breather vent right in front of the opening for the 4x4 shifter, check it and make sure its not gummed up. Also, make sure you hook up that little rubber line from the tranny to the Transfer case shifter.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
^^^Thanks for the info and pics. Mine is starting to seep a little. I'm thinking I may need to do this soon.
For something that is such a simple fix... I would not wait. the longer you wait, the more fluid you will have built up on the case, rear end and tailgate... I am just glad I could contribute some...

I am anxious to start the bed bobbing project so I can make a nice write up/pic thread on that...
Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
My Transfer case is dry as a bone now... The gaskets fixed the leak....
Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to bring this up again...

I know this subject has been beat to death on the forum, but I've read through all of the threads I can find on the subject and I still have questions about my '02 with A/T.

This particular thread got the closest to what I need. I've got the same leaking issues as are typical from what I can see and I want to check if the t/c breather is occluded. What's throwing me off is this; I have the two breathers in the engine compartment (which I've been certain all along are the front diff and transfer case), but when I dug into the top of the transfer assembly from inside the truck to locate the hose I found a damn breather cap! See photos below - they show the two breathers under the hood as well as the cap I mentioned.

They aren't great photos, but the cap is a little forward and to the driver's side of the transfer shifter (the transfer shifter can be seen in the photos).

My questions are this:
  1. Is the breather in the two photos for the transfer case?
  2. If it is, what is the second breather cap in the engine compartment for?
  3. The single breather shown in the photo doesn't have any flats or obvious ways of removing it. How would it be taken out for inspection?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
transfer case leaking-breather1.jpg   transfer case leaking-breather2.jpg   transfer case leaking-breather3.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
Yes

Front diff and ADD actuator

It is pressed in . I pulled the cap off mine which leaves a nipple and attached a hose to it
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
Yes

Front diff and ADD actuator

It is pressed in . I pulled the cap off mine which leaves a nipple and attached a hose to it
Thank you for the reply rushr. I had no idea the second breather cap under the hood was for the A.D.D. actuator . . . I've been living a lie!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Andys Toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
Andys Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Just joined the site. I bought a 2002 tacoma for my kid today with the same problem. Is the process the same whether its a stick or automatic trans. His is a stick if it matters. By the way good response to the problem with all the pics.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys Toy View Post
Just joined the site. I bought a 2002 tacoma for my kid today with the same problem. Is the process the same whether its a stick or automatic trans. His is a stick if it matters. By the way good response to the problem with all the pics.
What's the issue? Leaking from the shifter or from the shaft seal?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #18

It looks like its the shifter. Lots of oil from the top on down. If I have time after work today I,ll take the boot off and g et a better look. I hope thats the problem it looks like an easy fix
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys Toy View Post
It looks like its the shifter. Lots of oil from the top on down. If I have time after work today I,ll take the boot off and g et a better look. I hope thats the problem it looks like an easy fix
I had the same issue when I got my truck. It was leaking from the 4x4 shifter. Super easy fix. Just remove the two paper gaskets, make sure not to toss the thin piece of metal sandwiched between the gaskets. Clean the surface. And apply RTV. I used Toyota's red RTV.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #20

Well I followed the directions as posted today and LEAK GONE !!! Just a few more issues to figure out and I can go play
Thanks for the detailed directions. When I went to the dealer the guy at the counter insisted there was only one gasket. So like an idiot I listened and bought one gasket. Got home took it apart and like posted there is two gaskets , so I just made one out of gasket material. Should have made both , mine is better than the original.