1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spray Paint Techniques - HELP!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tbell5, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jul 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    Tbell5

Tbell5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD XCAB
    Hello-

I decided that after six years my WESTIN Bull Bar was ready for some much needed maintenance. I pulled it off and had access to a sand blaster. I had it blasted with hopes to have someone powder coat it. I can't get a reasonable price for powder coating, they want to charge me more than the bull bar is worth. So, I decided to spray paint it.

I bought VHT Roll bar/push bar spray paint. I did three coats within an hour as instructed. It looks good, but still is kind of spotty and from angles it is not level. How do I correct this?

I want it to look professional and not like I did it in my garage with 3 cans of spray paint!

Thanks.

2. Jul 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Just keep reapplying in light coats. Do an even stroke and do 3 light coats, 1 med, 1 light

3. Jul 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    what about spray bedliner.it will hide small imperfections.

4. Jul 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    Tbell5

Tbell5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD XCAB
    I used the spray bedliner on all my skids and I love that stuff. I am looking for something a little more finished. I already applied three coats and the can says any coats after that, the paint should dry 7 days. I guess their afraid if you keep putting to many coats on it will lift.

I think next weekend I will wet sand it to rough it up, and then I saw this paint which is called crinkle. Its like a satin black but with a slight texture, almost like bedliner. I think it is a little more of a finish look.

I will apply one coat of that, is four coats of spray paint to much? I don't want to many coats that it starts cracking.

Thanks guys.

5. Jul 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    If it's after a week you should be fine. That week time is to let the paint "set up" and harden to be resistant to the elements

Products Discussed in

To Top