Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spray Paint Techniques - HELP!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Tbell5 is on a distinguished road
Tbell5's Tacoma Gallery
Spray Paint Techniques - HELP!

Hello-

I decided that after six years my WESTIN Bull Bar was ready for some much needed maintenance. I pulled it off and had access to a sand blaster. I had it blasted with hopes to have someone powder coat it. I can't get a reasonable price for powder coating, they want to charge me more than the bull bar is worth. So, I decided to spray paint it.

I bought VHT Roll bar/push bar spray paint. I did three coats within an hour as instructed. It looks good, but still is kind of spotty and from angles it is not level. How do I correct this?

I want it to look professional and not like I did it in my garage with 3 cans of spray paint!

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep reapplying in light coats. Do an even stroke and do 3 light coats, 1 med, 1 light
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
what about spray bedliner.it will hide small imperfections.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Tbell5 is on a distinguished road
Tbell5's Tacoma Gallery
I used the spray bedliner on all my skids and I love that stuff. I am looking for something a little more finished. I already applied three coats and the can says any coats after that, the paint should dry 7 days. I guess their afraid if you keep putting to many coats on it will lift.

I think next weekend I will wet sand it to rough it up, and then I saw this paint which is called crinkle. Its like a satin black but with a slight texture, almost like bedliner. I think it is a little more of a finish look.

I will apply one coat of that, is four coats of spray paint to much? I don't want to many coats that it starts cracking.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
If it's after a week you should be fine. That week time is to let the paint "set up" and harden to be resistant to the elements