Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CEL code PO442

Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
takenaflyer is on a distinguished road
takenaflyer's Tacoma Gallery
CEL code PO442

Did a seafoam treatment about 80 miles ago (5 days), normal driving, then got the evap system leak code. Not sure if there's a connection but regardless, anyone have a suggestion where to start?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

Got no clue where to start on that one. Sit tight though, someone else will chime in soon enough.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
first......try tightening the fuel cap.......make sure it clicks a few times. may be the problem.

oh yeah.......welcome to tw!!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
been over the usual suspects...cap, hoses, all look right. Wondering if seafoam dislodged something and clogged an orifice. My Acura TL has a small EGR port that is vulnerable, just wondering if the 3.4 has something similar.

Oh yeah...thanks for the welcome, glad to be on board. Looks like a great forum!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takenaflyer View Post
Did a seafoam treatment about 80 miles ago (5 days), normal driving, then got the evap system leak code. Not sure if there's a connection but regardless, anyone have a suggestion where to start?
Yup. Start with "Chris4x4". He'll be along shortly. He's the technical guru here.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of "evap" leak is it? Small or large?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I forgot, How did you put the Seafoam in?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
first......try tightening the fuel cap.......make sure it clicks a few times. may be the problem.

oh yeah.......welcome to tw!!
The code for this = a "small evap leak".
I thought the same thing, but he didnt mention adding the seafoam to the tank.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The code for this = a "small evap leak".
I thought the same thing, but he didnt mention adding the seafoam to the tank.
it was the first and simplest thing i could think of when i saw "evap leak".
Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
it was the first and simplest thing i could think of when i saw "evap leak".
And its, more often than not, correct. We'll see when he answers back.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
put the seafoam in through the brake assist, about 2/3 of 12oz can. Yeah, small leak. I assume a small leak is a minor vacuum defect vs major, right?

Should I be looking for loose hose connections?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
And its, more often than not, correct. We'll see when he answers back.
yeah, and he said he already checked the fuel cap, so who knows as of now?? hopefully, a hose doesnt have a small hole in it that he hasnt noticed yet........hopefully something simple.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
put the seafoam in through the brake assist, about 2/3 of 12oz can. Yeah, small leak. I assume a small leak is a minor vacuum defect vs major, right?

Should I be looking for loose hose connections?
i would definitely check all the hoses.....especially the brake assist hose.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
i would definitely check all the hoses.....especially the brake assist hose.
X2. Make sure you didnt break one when doing the service.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
thanks guys, gonna get into it tomorrow and see what I find. I just bought this truck, my 1st Toyota, and it's time we got acquainted anyway. If I find I'll post back -
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
thanks guys, gonna get into it tomorrow and see what I find. I just bought this truck, my 1st Toyota, and it's time we got acquainted anyway. If I find I'll post back -
yeah man, let us know what you find!!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
well so far the CEL hasn't come back on (and hopefully won't) since I reset it. Maybe the seafoam treatment did it, don't know for sure. I did inspect the gas cap and wiped of the sealing surfaces just in case but nothing significant came off.