Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyway to fit 15s?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Scosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura about

Name: Scotty
Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Anyway to fit 15s?

My friend gave me a free set of TSL Super Swamper 33s with 15 inch rims. The lugs line up and everything, but they do not extend out far enough to where I can put on the lug nuts. The rims are 15s and my stock rims are 16s. So is there anyway I can fit them on my 02 Prerunner? I have them up for sale on craiglist for $500 in case there is no way I can fit them.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about wheels or tires?

TSL Super Swampers (33) is a TIRE.

But you're asking about wheels...???? Do you know what kind of wheels they are? Got the link to your craiglist...??

As far as I know, the only 1st gen tacoma that came with 16" wheels were the SRunner. The rest of them came with 15" wheels.

Got any pictures of what they look like when you try to install them?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you talking about wheels or tires?

TSL Super Swampers (33) is a TIRE.

But you're asking about wheels...???? Do you know what kind of wheels they are? Got the link to your craiglist...??

As far as I know, the only 1st gen tacoma that came with 16" wheels were the SRunner. The rest of them came with 15" wheels.

Got any pictures of what they look like when you try to install them?
2001 and up came with 16" wheels.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
2001 and up came with 16" wheels.
I'm not trying to doubt you on that....but why does it say in here that they came with 15" wheels as standard features?
http://www.trdoffroad.com/articles/pdf/01_tacoma.pdf

The SRunner & offroad package came with 16" wheels.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not trying to doubt you on that....but why does it say in here that they came with 15" wheels as standard features?

Well dang gum! I guess the base wheels were 15"....
Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
go to the tire shop and tell them you need a different set of lug nuts. I had the same issue on one of my tacomas and they got me a set of lug nuts that grabbed plenty of thread.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm not sure I would believe everything in that PDF. There are several things that don't seem correct or are clearly inaccurate. For instance, the color swaths for Radiant Red and Impulse Red Pearl are the opposite of what they should be. IRP is the darker of the two. Also, that document lists the v6 as coming with a 3.91 gear. All the v6's in 1st gens I've ever seen had 4.10s stock.

As for 16" wheels, for 01 to 04 Tacoma models, all of the Toyota alloy wheels were 16s.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scosh View Post
The lugs line up and everything, but they do not extend out far enough to where I can put on the lug nuts.

up to 2004 can fit a lot of 15" wheels, but if the lug bolts are not long enough to reach the nuts there is something else going on... if the backspace is 4.5" or greater, the bigger tires could be sitting up against the stock spindle and keeping the wheel from going completely on...

if the wheels are from a chevy the bore is too small and the wheel is not completely on the hub...

pics and specs on the wheel would be great...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My friend gave me a free set of TSL Super Swamper 33s. The lugs line up and everything, but they do not extend out far enough to where I can put on the lug nuts. The rims are 15s and my stock rims are 16s. So is there anyway I can fit them on my 02 Prerunner?
It could be the lug nuts you are using. The stock lug nuts typically don't work with aftermarket alloy wheels. More info about the wheels would help.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Well dang gum! I guess the base wheels were 15"....
The 5 lug "base" wheels are 15". I'm guessing once you get up to the 6 lug models the wheels are all 16".

Holy shit I knew something Chris4X4 didn't!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
by buddy's base model 04 xcab 4x4 came with stock 15x7s

then again, it also lacked power windows and doors...
scratch that... he went reverse... it came with 16s but he now runs 15s to save on tires... haha
Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
blitz10 is on a distinguished road
blitz10's Tacoma Gallery
My son's DC 4x4 came with 15'' wheels, aftermarket. The spare was a 16''. The window sticker was in the glove box, 16'' wheels are an upgrade from the standard 15''. I have since put the 16'' wheels and tires off of my 2004 on it. I did notice that the lug nuts were far recessed into the wheel on the 15''. We did not get the lug key and had the drive a smaller socket on the keyed lug to get it off on all 4 wheels. Wheels appear to be Discount tire brand, MB center caps. Those 15'' wheels look really nice, just wish the were 16'' though.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
The 5 lug "base" wheels are 15". I'm guessing once you get up to the 6 lug models the wheels are all 16".

Holy shit I knew something Chris4X4 didn't!
no the 6 lug base models still came with 15" on 2001s unless its an srunner
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
I'm not sure I would believe everything in that PDF. There are several things that don't seem correct or are clearly inaccurate. For instance, the color swaths for Radiant Red and Impulse Red Pearl are the opposite of what they should be. IRP is the darker of the two. Also, that document lists the v6 as coming with a 3.91 gear. All the v6's in 1st gens I've ever seen had 4.10s stock.

As for 16" wheels, for 01 to 04 Tacoma models, all of the Toyota alloy wheels were 16s.
Ok...so here's another one directly off Toyotacertified.com website. I couldn't get a brochure any earlier than 2004 - same results.
15" wheels standard.
16" wheels as an option
16" wheels standard on the SRunner

http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/04_tacoma.pdf
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Scosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura about

Name: Scotty
Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
This is the link for the sale.

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/pts/1828137425.html

And Im 100% sure my wheels are 16'' because my current wheel specs are 265/70/R16 and the swampers are 33''x12.50-15LT.

Im getting them sold tomorrow so Im not upset at all, besides I got them for free and Im making a $500 profit!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
if the wheels are from a chevy the bore is too small and the wheel is not completely on the hub...
looking at the ad, I was thinkin the right thing...

the wheels are from a Chevy, which has a smaller center bore than the yota, so the wheels were not mounting on the hub correctly, which is why the lug bolts were not coming all the way through...

it was nothing wrong with the truck, just with the wheels...
Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the link for the sale.

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/pts/1828137425.html

And Im 100% sure my wheels are 16'' because my current wheel specs are 265/70/R16 and the swampers are 33''x12.50-15LT.

Im getting them sold tomorrow so Im not upset at all, besides I got them for free and Im making a $500 profit!
thats decent
Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
rwilhite07 will become famous soon enoughrwilhite07 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
rwilhite07's Tacoma Gallery
ya id say if u can get those sold for $500 do it!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
rwilhite07 will become famous soon enoughrwilhite07 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
rwilhite07's Tacoma Gallery
and toyotas center bore is 4.25'' keep that in mind if buying rims they have to be that size to fit over the hub.

if im remembering correctly in MM toyota center bore is 108mm and chevy is 101mm.