Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

keep losing power steering pump...help

Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
road hard is on a distinguished road
road hard's Tacoma Gallery
keep losing power steering pump...help

I have a 1999 tacom 4x4 stock tires etc. For the last year and half I have been having to replace the powersteering pump. About every 2 months the pump starts to squeel,and groan. I have had the truck realigned, replaced tie rod ends inner and outer changed bushings that hold the rack,and still the pump keeps going out. Has any one ever had this problem and what is the fix?? Thanks for some input on this. I am on pump number 8 and I am tired of changing the dang thing. Help
Old 06-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by road hard View Post
I have a 1999 tacom 4x4 stock tires etc. For the last year and half I have been having to replace the powersteering pump. About every 2 months the pump starts to squeel,and groan. I have had the truck realigned, replaced tie rod ends inner and outer changed bushings that hold the rack,and still the pump keeps going out. Has any one ever had this problem and what is the fix?? Thanks for some input on this. I am on pump number 8 and I am tired of changing the dang thing. Help
What is wrong with the pumps? Are the bearings bad? Are you loosing pressure? What type of replacements are you using?

How's your steering rack?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
bad pumps

The pump bearings seem fine when I replace each pump, the pressure seems fine. The moaning every time I turn the wheel is the reason I keep changing the pumps out. As time goes on... about the 2nd month the pump gets louder and louder when I turn the wheel. Drives me crazy!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
WHat kind of fluid are you useing?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Going through that many pumps can't be a coincedence, next time replace pump and gear box, as there must be some debris making its way back up to the pump via the return line. You can put an inline automatic transmission filter in the return line, if you want to try another pump without changing the steering gear box. Another thing, are you letting the fluid froth/foam?, as this will cause problems also.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
still searching

well now I guess I will change the steering rack and the pump... yuk there goes another 500 bills. This is the second rack that had been changed since 99 when I bought the truck. I have been using ATF like the manual has recommended and I change it quite often because if the problems I have been faced with. The fluid goes in red and comes out brown?? This poor truck is road hard on lots of country roads... and has always brought me home. I do not mind giving it the attention it needs. It would be like putting in 6 tanks of gas the way these fuel prices are so what the hell. Thanks for the input. I hope my o4 and my 07 take the punishment this one has..yee haw hang on!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
my2coma is on a distinguished road

my2coma's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about about possibly putting a cooler inline with the pump?
I would also use power steering fluid in it rather than ATF, Im not sure that it will make a difference or not, but worth a shot.

I am going to use the auto tranny cooling ports on my new radiator I just installed. Since my truck is a manual tranny, I figure the cooling ports are just going to go to waste. Beings I offroad my truck pretty often, it could use the extra cool fluid.

Good luck....