1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration during braking????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Frank, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Apr 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    shotgunfly

shotgunfly Member

Member:
    Shenandoah Valley
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6
    I ran this by my mechanic and he said the issues they usually see with sway bars (nothing like thrust rods on a tacoma) typically don't have anything to do with the vibration issues we're talking about.

2. Apr 13, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    shotgunfly

shotgunfly Member

Member:
    Shenandoah Valley
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6
    Ran this by the mechanic and he said if it's an issue with wheel bearings you'll see it when NOT braking also. And to 'visually' check the bearings you pretty much have to destroy them as they are sealed bearings on my Tacoma. They only thing they do to check em, is take off the tires and usually they can spin them and listen for noise or feel for a wobble. If there is noise replace em, but he's not so confident that it's bearings.

I'm taking my truck back in and have the brakes checked again (even tho I had the rotors, pads, calipers all done and the rear drums replaced).

Question, would getting new shocks at least reduce the damn vibration I'm feeling? Mechanic tells me it's not unsafe (the truck does brake well), it's more of an annoyance.

3. Apr 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Have you tried another set of wheels?

ABS or non ABS? If ABS, there may be a piece of debris rolling around on the speed ring sensor and only being an issue on braking. Ever drop out of cruise randomly?

4. Apr 14, 2015 at 7:25 AM
    shotgunfly

shotgunfly Member

Member:
    Shenandoah Valley
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6
    It was happening when I bought the vehicle (maybe I shoulda walked away), and it was happening after I got brand new tires put on em. I did not change out the wheels. They look like the original toyota wheels.

I haven't mentioned the possibility of ABS being an issue, but will mention it to the mechanic when I pickup the truck after he's rechecked his rear drum work and the front brake work that someone else did.

It has never dropped out of cruise unexpectedly.

5. Apr 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    If you've gotten a new set of tires and they actually balanced them, then a bent wheel shouldn't be an issue and would have been noted by the tire guys.

The ABS is the only other thing I could think of since it happens during braking and not continually.

Is there a way to disable the ABS? Mine doesn't have ABS so I don't know. A 'Traction Control' button or something? If you can disable it, then try the braking/shaking without it and see what happens.

6. Apr 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    klam

klam Member

Member:
    trailer hitch with prodigy controller
    I don't have ABS and the wheels are stock. This weekend I'll jack up the wheels and see if there is play and I attempt to wiggle them on the jack.

7. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    I have run into this issue in the past while being lazy and using the impact to tighten down the lugs, creating a bad vibration when braking from 40 mph and above. Went back and loosened everything up and torqued down the lugs to 85 ft lbs and the vibration went away. Not sure if there was a light warp in the rotor and over torquing the lugs made it more prominent or what, but that's what solved it for me.

8. Apr 14, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Change your driving habits. People who use brakes heavily and do not release braking pressure when almost completely stopped end up warping their rotors quickly. Release the pressure right as the momentum of your truck comes to a stop and you probably won't have the issue anymore. My cousin drives a Taco and the rotors are warped bad because she lets the truck jerk back when it's stopped (just leaves her foot on the brake tightly until the truck stops). I've always let off to release the forward momentum and never had a problem with warping rotors.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    johnny3 likes this.
  9. Apr 23, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    shotgunfly

shotgunfly Member

Member:
    Shenandoah Valley
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6
    Update on my situation. I got it back in to the mechanic. Note that at 84.6k miles I had new rear drums put on. Shoes were not replaced. Not much of a vibration when I left, but it came back and I returned truck at 87.6k miles. Mechanic resurfaced the rear drums and there is no vibration now. He said if it comes back we'll replace the shoes with TOYOTA parts but it's rare that yota parts would be defective. I also had my wheels rotated. That's all for now..let's if the vibration stays gone.

Hmm maybe my braking habits are warping my rotors in 3k miles as is being suggested above?

10. Jan 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM
    Schism

Schism Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC LB Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm having the same issue, when I first drive the car in the morning its fine. It seems like once the rotors heat up I start to notice the vibration. Even when I'm in town driving around it will happen. It's even more worse on the freeway when in busy traffic. I'm very easy on my brakes. I got the truck used so I'm thinking the owner before me was just hard on the brakes and maybe warped the rotors? The vibration only happens when braking

11. Jan 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    Driving habits are most likely the cause of your issues. Are you also aware there is a 500 mile break-in procedure for pads/rotors?

There's no such thing as a warped rotor, it's a misnomer. Basically, a small amount of pad is adhered to the rotor every time contact is made. If you don't have smooth braking habits you're not going to leave smooth pad material over the surface of the rotor.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  12. Mar 11, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    Boston6154

Boston6154 Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma dbl cab 4x4
    Transmission can cause vibration while braking ...Have a transmission flush done it's on this forum somewhere ...

13. Mar 11, 2016 at 9:50 AM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    lets here more on this 500 mile break in deal

14. Mar 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    If theres vib on braking its best to change both rotors and pad and drums and shoes...sometimes you'll get bad parts from parts stores but typically they should be good. I wouldnt advise changing drums and not shoes. You also might have oil or ridges/wear on the old shoes. Its best to just redo it all. Try going to ceramic pads if you are harder on brakes.

15. Mar 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    You can find more detailed instructions all over the net but the basic principal is to adhere a uniform layer of pad onto the rotor. Start at 30 mph and decelerate smooth and continuously to near stop in 60 feet. Repeat 20 times. Do the same but stop in 40 feet, then 20. Bump up to 45 mph and repeat, then 60. This is the jist of it. It's a lot more reasonable to just work this procedure into your regular driving.

Another few things to remember are you never want to brake to a sudden stop. This is the number one way to "warp" a rotor. There is nothing wrong with hard braking the thing to remember is to just be smooth. I personally never let me truck come to a complete stop while on the brakes. I smoothly let of the brakes as it's nearing dead stop so at the moment it does stop I have just released the brakes completely.

16. Mar 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I engine brake so hard that the tires chirp when I dump the clutch because changing brake pads sucks.

17. Apr 8, 2016 at 11:51 AM
    GoLongJoe

GoLongJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma PreRunner -- 2WD Project
    Tires, soon to be shocks, bushings, and bull bar. No lift, not needed.
    I'll answer this because I'm having the same trouble. 05 Prerunner, no TRD, no lift, 240k miles, new tires and alignment, 245/65/16r is my tire size i believe and they are all terrains (Iron man).

18. Apr 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    My experience is with 1st gens. You may get better feedback if you post your questions if the 2nd gen forum.

19. Apr 8, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    GoLongJoe

GoLongJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma PreRunner -- 2WD Project
    Tires, soon to be shocks, bushings, and bull bar. No lift, not needed.
    Yeah, still new here and I figured out right after I sent it. Thanks! This place is awesome!

Products Discussed in

To Top