1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much do I owe him?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98SR5Red, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    98SR5Red

98SR5Red [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Hey all,

So a coworker of mine has a sandblaster and I've been needing to strip my front bumper down and reprep/paint it. This guy offered to do it for me, blast it and prime it actually, so I just dropped it off to him. He said just give him a day or two and I can pick it up.

Just curious what something like should cost being fair to me and him. Really respectable guy that I actually look up too, so I'm gonna offer him a little extra anyway, but just wanted a starting point to go from...

Here's the bumper.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any help!

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Most likely he isn't gonna take whatever you try to give him. Just be really nice and thankful that he did it for you.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Yea youre probably right, but I dont want to offend the guy. I was just wondering what this would cost had I brought it to a shop to get it done.

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Just get an idea of how long it took him and offer to compensate him accordingly, how much would you work for per hour?

5. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    You at least owe him a favor, and some beer.

6. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    If this was a professional garage doing the work you wouldn't just offer a certain amount that you thought was reasonable, so why try to do that here, right?
    Don't try to guess, just say "Thanks man, so what do I owe ya?" and then add whatever you think is a fair 'tip' if you want to. If he is nice enough to say ah, don't worry about it, then I would say "Are you sure? Thanks!" And then bring him a case of his favorite beverage or some similar token, based on what he likes the next time you see him.

7. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz

X2

8. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Thats a good way to look at it Jeff. Thanks. And you too aero.

9. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Beer or a handle of whatever he drinks. Offer to help him out with any bigger projects he may have going on.

Products Discussed in

To Top