1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is this part?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by xxiong12, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    xxiong12

xxiong12 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi everyone. This part on my truck broke and there are grease coming out of it. Any suggestion what is this part and it is hard to change it? Thank you.

pic 1.jpg
    pic 2.jpg

2. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thats your upper ball joint. buy a new one from autozone or the dealership....and rent a ball joint press tool. not too bad of a job.....with the right tools........air tools and compressor work good too.

3. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    upper ball joint, the first pic looks like you UCA might be bent. How did it break?

4. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    that is ur RF upper ball joint. looks like the boot is just torn. if there is excessive play in the ball joint then its for sure busted. if its just leaking then u should be fine. but it will eventually become contaminated and have to be replaced. atleast its still holding together. looks like u need to invest in a good set of UCA's!!

5. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    uca looks normal.....just took mine off for my tc uca's this weekend......they are made with that little crook to the left.

6. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    xxiong12

xxiong12 [OP] Member

Member:
    I broke last month while going through a ditch. By the way what is a UCA?

7. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    upper control arm.

8. Aug 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    x2 it looks like the grease boot is torn. You have to pull the UCA off to slide the new boot on, you might as well put a new ball joint on. Besides dont know if you can buy just the boot.

9. Aug 10, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Looks about how my upper ball joints looked before I replaced them and the UCA.

They really aren't that hard to change out. Not hard as in very few steps, but as mentioned earlier, you really do need the right tools. You can borrow a ball joint press from autozone/checker, which I would also recommend borrowing the 4x4 pieces as well. Then theres a piece called a pitman arm puller which would be helpful if you wanted to try to save the old ball joint. Also, soak the bolts with Penetrating oil over night or longer. (dont waste your time with wd40- get the real stuff)

Personally, I found it a lot easier to just cut the ball joint in half so you have two pieces to work with. It also will allow you to use the heavy c-clamp type press to get everything out so you dont have to mess with the weaker pitman arm puller for the top bolt.

An impact gun helps a ton with the stubborn ball joints with the c-clamp type press.

These ball joints can be in there really tight. Then again, yours may just pop out with out much work, but that hasn't been my experience with any of my ball joints or tie rod ends. I was able to use the pitman arm puller on my passenger tie rod, but broke two of them on the drivers side before I cut that in half and pressed it out as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top