Notices

99 steering wheel shaking at HW speeds

Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
SolidTacoma is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Mike
SolidTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
99 steering wheel shaking at HW speeds

So a couple weeks ago I noticed my front tires were cupping on the outer tread. (31X10.50X15 BFG all terrains) I took it to the local tire shop to have the tires balanced and rotated. When i got it back the steering wheel would vibrate varying amounts starting around 45 mph and would stop around 75 mph. I took it back to them the next day and had them rebalance them. It still did it even after the 2nd balance so I took it to a new place for a 3rd balance. after this it did it a little less but still does it.
I jacked up the front end and wiggled the tires from top to bottom thinking maybe it was a ball joint or something but there was no play in the wheels. I never had any problems with vibrations in my steering wheel before the rotate/balance.
Could it still be just a balance problem or would rotating the wheel make some other problem show up?
Sorry for the long post, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Rotate them to the back and see if it goes away

FWIW, every set of BFG AT's cupped on me. No matter what I did.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Navy:
I tried the fronts on the rear and the rears on the front and it did it both ways. I currently have the rears up front so they will wear evenly.
So the tires cupping may not be anything serious then?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidTacoma View Post
I tried the fronts on the rear and the rears on the front and it did it both ways. I currently have the rears up front so they will wear evenly.
So the tires cupping may not be anything serious then?
I don't know. I have had two sets before and both sets cupped, but thats just been my experience with them.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
poppystaco360 is on a distinguished road
poppystaco360's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my 2000 prerunner brand new and at 5000 miles I took it to toyota for an oil change and a tire rotation. When I got it back it vibrated just like what you are going through. They said I needed to balance them so I let them . Got on the freeway and it vibrated again took it back, they rebalanced them again and it vibrated again. Then they said my tires where not right so they put 2 brand new tires up front and it still vibrated. Then they blamed there balancer, so they told me to go to goodyear to have them balanced, and it still vibrated .I went through 3 sets of tires and 240000 miles and its still vibrates....please help us....I'm tired of getting out of my truck from long trips numb.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #6

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppystaco360 View Post
I bought my 2000 prerunner brand new and at 5000 miles I took it to toyota for an oil change and a tire rotation. When I got it back it vibrated just like what you are going through. They said I needed to balance them so I let them . Got on the freeway and it vibrated again took it back, they rebalanced them again and it vibrated again. Then they said my tires where not right so they put 2 brand new tires up front and it still vibrated. Then they blamed there balancer, so they told me to go to goodyear to have them balanced, and it still vibrated .I went through 3 sets of tires and 240000 miles and its still vibrates....please help us....I'm tired of getting out of my truck from long trips numb.
Have you had yours aligned?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Navy:
I haven't had it aligned yet. I was going to have it checked this weekend. I'm taking it in to have the whole front end checked out and was going to have them look at that as well.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
The same damn thing his happening with mine. I finally balanced them myself at a friends shop and only get shaking 63mph-68,69mph. I dont know if its my tires or what, now that I see this post it makes me wonder if its not something eles.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
This is most defintely a balance prob. Good luck finding any shop that has a clue on how to balance tires. Most all of them are incompetent. To bad you were not in NJ as I have a great tire guy (ETD Tire in NJ) who knows how to balance properly. Only took me 5 years and hundreds of dollars wasted to find him
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and get that fixed asap, if you let it go for along time I think it takes the steering rack out and other front end parts. Just think about when the tires are shaking like that what it is doing to the steering rack and related front end parts.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Have you had yours aligned?
And have the tires checked for out of round.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidTacoma View Post
So a couple weeks ago I noticed my front tires were cupping on the outer tread. (31X10.50X15 BFG all terrains) I took it to the local tire shop to have the tires balanced and rotated. When i got it back the steering wheel would vibrate varying amounts starting around 45 mph and would stop around 75 mph. I took it back to them the next day and had them rebalance them. It still did it even after the 2nd balance so I took it to a new place for a 3rd balance. after this it did it a little less but still does it.
I jacked up the front end and wiggled the tires from top to bottom thinking maybe it was a ball joint or something but there was no play in the wheels. I never had any problems with vibrations in my steering wheel before the rotate/balance.
Could it still be just a balance problem or would rotating the wheel make some other problem show up?
Sorry for the long post, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
With the tires cupping you may never get it to stop and i said may
if its that bad a good balance may cut down on the vibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
This is most defintely a balance prob. Good luck finding any shop that has a clue on how to balance tires. Most all of them are incompetent. To bad you were not in NJ as I have a great tire guy (ETD Tire in NJ) who knows how to balance properly. Only took me 5 years and hundreds of dollars wasted to find him
Thank you
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
With the tires cupping you may never get it to stop and i said may
if its that bad a good balance may cut down on the vibs

Thank you
Any Time Dave. You are the best! You have all my business!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
check your steering rack might need new bushings. have your tires road force baleneced. and http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160576
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Ya guys I hear you . I have a 99 prerunner and yes the same damn thing. I have done the same things, and still vibrates.When I first got my BFGs had them put on the stock rims no vibrates. Then got costum rims and then it started. I once read that toyotas need to be balanced with a haweka adaptor. What the hell is a haweka adaptor? I have called around these parts Phoenix Az. and no one has hard of or even have one . So has any one haerd of any such thing?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
Ya guys I hear you . I have a 99 prerunner and yes the same damn thing. I have done the same things, and still vibrates.When I first got my BFGs had them put on the stock rims no vibrates. Then got costum rims and then it started. I once read that toyotas need to be balanced with a haweka adaptor. What the hell is a haweka adaptor? I have called around these parts Phoenix Az. and no one has hard of or even have one . So has any one haerd of any such thing?
I have them done with a Haweka. It's only as good as the person using it. didn't work on mine. Talk to David Tarantino a couple post's up. He balanced my tires and my truck rides like silk! He knows his stuff
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Ya but Iam in Arizona, hes in NJ.So what is a haweka adaptor? Iwas reading on anather farum that this guy had the same problem, and he chanded to 16in tires and the problem whent away??
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #18
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
Ya but Iam in Arizona, hes in NJ.So what is a haweka adaptor? Iwas reading on anather farum that this guy had the same problem, and he chanded to 16in tires and the problem whent away??
www.hawekaus.com · Maybe that will help
Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar problem with brand new Michelins at stock size on stack aluminum rims, so I pretty much figured the tires weren't at fault. (Interestingly, the truck came used with BFG ATs that were unevenely worn all the way around...).

The installer didn't get it right. Steering vibes at about 55 +. Since they didn't get it right the first time, I decided to find another place to rebalance rather than waste my time.

I read all over the internet about the Haweka adapter, and the Hunter Road Force balancer, and took all this info to the new shop, which had rave reviews on Yelp. The guy took one look at the wheels and mentioned the Haweka adpater and said they didn't have one. But he said let us just try to balance them on the regular dynamic balancer first (not road force, which they had, which is one reason I went there). They even said if we don't get it right, we won't charge you !

They said yep, way off, must have been static balanced. They did a perfect job correcting them without any special tools or machines, just skill. They also got rid of the adhesive weights on the inner part of the rim that the previous shop had used, and used low-profile clip-ons on the outside. They said it would never balance right unless they did that. I wasn't thrilled about that, but I was more interested in results than vanity.

Now they have my business for life. (Radial Tire Service in Sacramento, BTW, and FTW)

So here is a tip to find a wheel shop worth a damn: go find one near a bunch of high-end/performance car dealers that rely on the wheel shop for doing their work. These guys worked on Ferraris, Bentleys, and everything else. Big ass pickups, Hondas, you name it. And they weren't more expensive than anywhere else.