Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Water leaking into cab from under dash

Old 07-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
climbontherocks is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
climbontherocks's Tacoma Gallery
Question Water leaking into cab from under dash

It rained hard last night. My truck is now leaking from under the dash onto the passenger floor... Every time I take a left turn water pours out onto the floor. It's collecting somewhere up behind the dash. I looked all around the hood and inside the engine compartment on that side and everything looks snug. If the air conditioner is running or even just the fan it sounds like water is being poured onto a hot iron, but I don't see any steam.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Its probably a plugged ac drain, or leaky windsheild. Most likely the ac drain, though.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
jason r
jrukus is on a distinguished road

jrukus's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jrukus
I have a 2008 Tacoma and it has been leaking onto the passenger side floor too, not sure where it's coming from, but it mostly seems to happen when it is raining. Does this happen to anyone else's tacomas? I do have a crack in the windshield but the dash is never wet, just the underside of the glove box and the floor and mat. thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
newskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Nick
newskooler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Its probably a plugged ac drain, or leaky windsheild. Most likely the ac drain, though.
X2
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
climbontherocks is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
climbontherocks's Tacoma Gallery
Smile It was the AC drain

The answer to my leaking was a plugged AC drain. I opened the hood, and on the passenger side saw the drain coming out of the cab. I pulled off the curved drain tube and inserted a zip tie (square end first) and pulled it out with a bunch of gunk on it. I did that a few times and I haven't had a problem since. Thank you everyone!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it was something cheap and easy!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
jwicker is on a distinguished road
jwicker's Tacoma Gallery
Just adding my water in side the truck experience in case it helps someone:

My (previous) 04 Xtra cab accumulated water in the front passenger floorboard and the rear passenger floor under the jump seats.

Turns out it was the plastic behind the door panel that is supposed to keep water from running down the outside of the window glass, into the bottom of the door and into the truck.
It was coming thru a small area where the plastic had come loose from the inner door skin and running over the door sill into the cab.

Here is my original write up - just to keep it alive.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ater-leak.html

Thx
Jon
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
jchavez915 is on a distinguished road
jchavez915's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same leak under my dash passenger side... having dome difficulty removing a/c drain pipe... any tips? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
jchavez915 is on a distinguished road
jchavez915's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same leak under the dash on the passenger side. I did locate the a/c drain pipe but I'm having difficulty removing it.... any tips? Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
m&m1951 is on a distinguished road
m&m1951's Tacoma Gallery
After some thorough testing, I found my leak was coming in from the very upper right hand corner where the fire wall, side kick panel, and fender wheel all come together. Hard to get your finger up in this area, but it was dripping straight down onto a piece of rubber against the floor under the dash, then onto the carpet and pooling on the floor. This was on the passenger side. I narrowed down the area by using a spray bottle and only spraying small areas. When I sprayed the bottom corner of the windshield and the very end of the top cowl area, I got the leak inside. So I knew the general area of the leak. I had my local MrT remove the fender. They sprayed soapy water all around the outside on top of the fender well, then blew air from inside up in the corner. Immediately had bubbles form at the side cowl where it overlaps the fender well. The TSB BO026-00 Revised has a diagram where this seam is. The diagram isn't the best pic, but once the fender is off, it makes more sense. There was some sealant on this this seam, but had apparently broken loose or deteriorated. They resealed this seam and tried the air again. No bubbles. I only wish I had taken my camera to post some pics.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m1951 View Post
After some thorough testing, I found my leak was coming in from the very upper right hand corner where the fire wall, side kick panel, and fender wheel all come together. Hard to get your finger up in this area, but it was dripping straight down onto a piece of rubber against the floor under the dash, then onto the carpet and pooling on the floor. This was on the passenger side. I narrowed down the area by using a spray bottle and only spraying small areas. When I sprayed the bottom corner of the windshield and the very end of the top cowl area, I got the leak inside. So I knew the general area of the leak. I had my local MrT remove the fender. They sprayed soapy water all around the outside on top of the fender well, then blew air from inside up in the corner. Immediately had bubbles form at the side cowl where it overlaps the fender well. The TSB BO026-00 Revised has a diagram where this seam is. The diagram isn't the best pic, but once the fender is off, it makes more sense. There was some sealant on this this seam, but had apparently broken loose or deteriorated. They resealed this seam and tried the air again. No bubbles. I only wish I had taken my camera to post some pics.
Is this an on going problem with the 2nd gen tacomas? I have only owned my 2011 for four months. Havened had much rain here in Az. I have not noticed this. Dont know if its somthing that I need to worry about .