1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CEL P0031 after dead battery

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JayDub, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    JayDub

JayDub [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Pendleton, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    Yesterday, I had to jump my truck off to get it started. I went ahead and had the battery replaced cause it was a few years old, and it was bad. However, after I jumped my truck off, my Check Engine light came on.. w/ the P0031 code (bank 1 sensor, O2 sensor i think).

The CEL only came on after I jumped the truck off, its not been running rough, and I haven't tried resetting it yet.. should I go ahead and find another 02 sensor, or could the low voltage from the dead battery have something to do with it?

2. Aug 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    TacomaByTheBeach

TacomaByTheBeach New Member

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I think I have a similar issue and I'm wondering if you found any resolution.

I jump started my wife's car from my toyota tacoma and as soon as i did that my check engine light came on. The code reader indicated P2238 and P0031. I cleared both codes but P0031 keeps coming back.

Any help is much appreciated!

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    JayDub

JayDub [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Pendleton, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    Unfortunately, after I posted this, I went to my mechanic. He cleared the code, and it came back up a couple seconds later.. so I'm guessing the O2 sensor went bad.. I'm not sure how a dead battery and jumping it off caused it to though.

Actually getting it fixed next week, gonna talk to him a little more about the sensor and see what would have caused that.

4. Aug 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    pure coincidence. battery has nothing to do with your 02 sensor. if your 02 sensor goes bad, it also will NOT make your truck run poorly. you may notice your mileage go down, but it will not affect the way it runs. it only affects your fuel trim a tiny bit, and when it goes bad it just makes you run a little rich all the time.

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    TacomaByTheBeach

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Jay W -Thanks for responding. Yeah, I'm going to swap out the sensor and hopefully that'll do the trick.

shampoop - Perhaps it is purely a coincidence but I find it peculiar that two different people had the same issue immediately after jump starting the vehicle. :confused:

WagonHo! likes this.
  6. Aug 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    did you jump start the car improperly? you actually may have just shorted the O2 sensor heater somehow. forgot about the stupid heaters. the sensor itself is probably fine. the heater is only there so you car can enter closed loop a minute or 2 faster than it would otherwise.

at school we jumped started all kinds of toyota vehicles nearly daily because every car there had a dead battery cause they never left the parking lot. never had this happen.

just measure the resistance of the heater in the sensor and compare it to factory specs.

7. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    TacomaByTheBeach

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    shampoop - Thanks for the follow up! I may have jump started the car improperly because it's been a while since I jumped started a car. The car I was jump starting started, but it may have shorted something in my tacoma as you indicated.

Can you elaborate on your sensor heater theory? What would I need to replace if that is the problem? Would it still be O2 sensor 1 bank 1 (before the cat)? I noticed in the shop manual that it said I can check the resistance of the sensor to see if it is still functioning correctly. Something like 20 Ohms but I don't have the book in front of me. I was going try this last weekend but I was unable to disconnect the O2 sensor because the connection is on top of the transmission. I saw a web site that said I should remove the gear shifter boot and reach it that way. I'm going to give that a go this weekend.

BTW: My truck is 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6.

Many thanks to any additional insight you have!!!

8. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It's actually the AFR sensor. The OHM reading should be 0.8-1.4

9. Aug 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    afr and O2 sensors are the same thing by a different name. it will probably have 4 wires. one set is for the sensor, and the other is for the heater that turns on when you first start your car so the sensor can start working faster. on older cars without the heater the sensors don't work until your exhaust heats them up enough. the code you have says the resistance in the heater part of the sensor is low, suggesting that the heating element is somehow shorted. if it were high it would suggest an open.

10. Aug 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    TacomaByTheBeach

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    98tacoma27 - Thanks for the link to do PDF with the diagnostic workflow. That will come in very handy when I start troubleshooting this!!

shampoop - Thanks for the clarification!

11. Apr 23, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    Starman97

Starman97 Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    95 X-cab V6
    Same here , replaced the battery terminals as they'd corroded and the starter was running slow.
    Fresh terminals, starts right up and I get P0031 and P2238 , multiple clears with Bluetooth OBD and Torque app, they return in minutes.

Products Discussed in

To Top