Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

33'' tires with a 2.5'' lift am I crazy?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
33'' tires with a 2.5'' lift am I crazy?

I have been working all summer and have money for the Taco! I want bigger tires now that my truck is lifted, I am thinking about getting some 33x10.50x15 Toyo MT's. I realize I would have to do some cutting but how much and what kind? The tire is actually 32.8'' tall any help or pictures of cuts would help me out.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
CRAZY
tweekson is on a distinguished road
tweekson's Tacoma Gallery
I got a 3" rough country lift kit for my truck....put 33's on it as well. I removed the mud flaps and had to do a little cutting in the front wheel wells. Minor cutting on the fenders I took an box cutter to the truck and within 2 or 3 minutes I was not rubbing anymore. I will send some picts tomorrow
Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
first gen vs second gen, its a whole different animal.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

my uncles has 285's and I compared them with my tires on my truck now and I would have to do trimming for sure, but I dont know what kind, and the new tires I want are narrow for a 33
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
bighungitacoma is on a distinguished road
bighungitacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 1st gen with a 3" lift on 33/10.5s and have no rub issue at all, did not even need to trim anything
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
I have been working all summer and have money for the Taco! I want bigger tires now that my truck is lifted, I am thinking about getting some 33x10.50x15 Toyo MT's. I realize I would have to do some cutting but how much and what kind? The tire is actually 32.8'' tall any help or pictures of cuts would help me out.
You might be able to get away with that tire but whether you do will depend a little on how much backspacing/offset the wheels have. If you intend to put those tires on a stock rim you'll likely see more rub compared to a rim with less backspacing.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 3'' lift with 33'/12.50 !!!!! So no you re not crazy
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
heres a pic of the tires

Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
You might be able to get away with that tire but whether you do will depend a little on how much backspacing/offset the wheels have. If you intend to put those tires on a stock rim you'll likely see more rub compared to a rim with less backspacing.
My rims have alot of offset they stick out of my wheel well a inch or two so I dont think I would have to put a spacer on.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #10

Truck looks awesome brian I like the tires and truck so much!!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #12

Brian did you have to trim your front valence?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
i have 2.5" SAW coilovers up front with 255/85 16 tires and did not have to cut at all. the only time they rub is at full lock. i just dont turn all the way
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
buckshot85 is on a distinguished road
buckshot85's Tacoma Gallery
i've got an 02 with 3" lift with 285/75/16 and had to trim the rear above the mud flaps about 1/4" even though i took the mud flaps off
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #15

Cool this has really helped me out so far guys