1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Switch cluster location suggestions?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RattleTractor, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Ha.. No it's tan. U have a 98 center console with square cupholders though...pulled it out of the recalled truck.

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Well, in knowing now what I didn't know before, I can give ya a few tips.

Toggle switches are a whole lot easier to install and take up quite a bit less space than rocker switches. If you use toggle switches, you'll be able to get away with a much smaller box, by about half. They just dont look as nice, but depending on the look you want, you might find something you like. Del City has some interesting illuminated toggle switches that only require drilling out a 1/2" hole to install. http://www.delcity.net/store/Illuminated-Toggles/a_all

Running wires for 5 switches through the A-pillar molding is going to suck, but if everything is running off relays (as it should), 10 wires + led power + grounds is still going to be pretty crowded up there, but should be doable. I'm not sure how the ground is up there, so you may want to run a dedicated ground as well.

As far as what to use, if I was going to do a roof mount, I'd be really tempted to do something like one of these: http://www.delcity.net/store/Switch-Panels/p_793798.a_1 They aren't cheap, but as far as looks go, I dont think you'll find something much better, specially if you have the gray interior. For mounting, you'd pretty much have to mark where you want it installed, pull down the headliner and use some washers on the inside. No clue on how much room is behind the panels, so you may have to actually cut the headliner a bit as well.

I'm sure you could find something sort of like the project boxes above, but with softer corners that might look good. If you get a pre-built box and use toggle switches instead of rockers, I think you could easily get away with plastic. For toggle switches, I think you could do with something about 1.5x4" on its face. I'd guess about 1-1.5" depth. For rockers, the minimum would be about 2"x6" with about the same depth, but with rounded edges, you'd probably need to take it up to 2.5".

Another option for rocker switches is http://www.delcity.net/store/Modular-Brackets/p_791041.a_1, which then you'd only have to worry about a single cutout for the box. That box would have to be about 2.5x6x1.5 or larger.

I know you may not think its a big deal, but not having some sort of illumination when the switches are off isn't great. For example, try running your ac/heater controls in the dark with your lights off. It can be done, but it sucks.

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    I was going to use something like this...
    http://www.delcity.net/store/Illum-Rocker-Switches/p_791339.a_1
    A local parts store carries them in 4 different colors so I have orange for lights, blue for compressor, green for something else, etc. The switches are about 1.25" long, so a 2" tall box for the panel was what I had in mind.

I found a 6x4x2 electrical box on that site you posted earlier with a bottom bracket that I could remove for wiring. Very helpful thanks! I will try to do that in the near future (aka after I pay off the truck next week.
    Thanks for the help so far!

Good luck! Try a 4Runner or something..if you haven't already.

4. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    Geez, def not worth it! No offense, but I doubt anybody with round cupholders is gonna want to trade either....

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Don't the 4runners have some extra switches in the center of the dash or in the console? Maybe you could swap some interior pieces and use OEM fog switches?

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    my light switch is behind the shifter, you can see it at the top of the pic

[​IMG]

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Here's how i did mine:

euhb1h_c05c6c0dc17b0a96b9bc564cd92b572faa54a02b.jpg

8. Jul 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    That's pretty sweet. There's already an aftermarket alarm system light taking up those though...damn.

9. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Thanks! my alarm button is over where everyone else decides to put toggles beside the fuse box! its a lot of work to put them here though but well worth it :cool:

10. Aug 11, 2010 at 2:57 AM
    Regretless Rob

Regretless Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Chino CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Painted my stock rims black and polished my lugs, New jvc head unit with 2 12" subs with shut of switch, Side mirrors tinted, FULLBLOWN FM-74267 muffler, In dash wiring for my Garmin 750 GPS & 3Gs Iphone dock with aux plug and charger in dash, Three more cigarette lighter plus under my head unit also in dash, strobe head lights for the hell of ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qumylyXOig,
    I have a 01 automatic and installed 2 toggle switches behind the shifter for two amps i had in my back seat but if i remember correctly i was thing about installing them behind the cup holders beside where i ended up installing. i say this cuz im sure you can fit 6 across that part of the plastic molding the only down side is they will be in the way of the cigarette lighter plugs but i installed 3 more cigarette lighter plug under my after market cd player.. I can post a pic in the morning of how mine turned out.. they where super easy to install and i really like them there cuz they're out of the way and i can get to them really easy..

Products Discussed in

To Top