Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck is pulling, no idea why

Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
mauibuilt41 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mauibuilt41's Tacoma Gallery
Truck is pulling, no idea why

Hey guys! Sorry for all the questions but I've got so many different things going on. When I purchased my truck in June it had a right hand pull. So I had it aligned and also had the tires rotated and balanced. The right hand pull is still there. My steering wheel also shakes at 60 mphThe tires are some cheap brand I have never heard of so I will replace them when the funds are available. Do you guys think it is a tire issue. I have searched the forum but found a bunch of different answers.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like tires.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
probably the tires....... there is such thing as a tire pull.... are they properly inflated? do they have uneven wear?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
James
jamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamesglynn's Tacoma Gallery
good chance your tire are not properly inflated or they are cupping on the edges. I would think your problem is in the tires, I had the same think on my 04, I put some Michelin LTX's on there and problem solved.
Good Luck
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
DeedleBag is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
DeedleBag's Tacoma Gallery
Well remember, your truck should always pull slightly to the right for safety reasons. Say if you were to fall asleep at the wheel.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
biggdog747 is on a distinguished road
biggdog747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedleBag View Post
Well remember, your truck should always pull slightly to the right for safety reasons. Say if you were to fall asleep at the wheel.
um no. your truck or any other vehicle for that matter should drive straight. IT SHOULD HOWEVER PULL WITH THE CROWN OF THE ROAD. I also dont think it is your tires. its your brakes. your right front brake caliper is seized. it starts with the inside lower piston and then goes from there. replaced both front calipers rotors and pads and you will be good.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdog747 View Post
um no. your truck or any other vehicle for that matter should drive straight. IT SHOULD HOWEVER PULL WITH THE CROWN OF THE ROAD. I also dont think it is your tires. its your brakes. your right front brake caliper is seized. it starts with the inside lower piston and then goes from there. replaced both front calipers rotors and pads and you will be good.

OP, You can find out if its a dragging brake, as one side will be much hotter than ther other. Feel the wheel near the hub. If its hot, its a dragging caliper.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
humtaco is on a distinguished road
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedleBag View Post
right its by desegn if case yur sooo drunk you pass out yuul go into the trees insteed of oncomeng traffic.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
mauibuilt41 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mauibuilt41's Tacoma Gallery
Well I always figured it was the tires. I know after I got them balanced, one of the tires had like 3 weights right next to each other. I'll also look into the brakes. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a steering column issue as I have read a bunch of those on this site.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Jack the wheels. If it turns hard=bad brake. Use temp gun, it will show the differance better. $30 from sears. You can also find cold spots in radiators, ac temps, etc.
If tires wear from a bad alignment, they will not run true anymore. Same can be said for out of balance for too long.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauibuilt41 View Post
Well I always figured it was the tires. I know after I got them balanced, one of the tires had like 3 weights right next to each other. I'll also look into the brakes. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a steering column issue as I have read a bunch of those on this site.

I had similar problems when I got mine. It had unevenly worn BFG ATs and had a very hard pull to the right (If I let go, it would happily and immediatley head straight for the ditch), but clearly had needed an alignment for some time.

I bought new Michelins and had an alignment. Problem mostly solved, but then I had the classic 60 mph vibration, which is from bad (meaning incompetent) wheel balancing, probably a static balance. The 1st gen aluminum wheels are a little notorious for being tricky to balance, and a lot of people will say road force balance them, or use the Hakewa adpater, but I found a great shop who could just do it on a regular dynamic balancer without any of this. Find a reputable shop and buy some good tires...

And they will need to use clip-on weights on the outside, not the adhesive weights that they try to hide inside the wheel (right behind the spoke area).

All this assuming you don't have a hanging brake caliper....