Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

wheel offset and backspacing

Old 07-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
new and improved
bill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: billy
bill-e-boy's Tacoma Gallery
wheel offset and backspacing

questions about offset and backspacing,

I have an 04 dbl cab. Ive lifted it with toytec ultimate lift coilovers and add-a-leaf.

My stock wheel is 16 x 8 with 4.5 of backspacing and I have 1.5 all-pro spacers all the way around.

I'm not an off-roader...truck stays on roads 99% of the time. I lifted it and added spacers cause I like the way it looks.

I really like the factory wheel and the wider stance.

But, I have a bit of steering wheel vibration, Ive read the spacers may cause that.

Question 1 - So if I bought a new set of wheels, cccould this solve the vibration problem?
Question 2 - Does this mean that right now I actually have 3 of backspacing?
Question 3 - Is there a possibility that a 1 spacer would give me less vibration?
Question 4 - To keep my stance the same, I would need a wheel with 3 of backspacing?
Question 5 - give me suggestions/opinions....what is the ideal wheel backspacing for a 16 x 8 wheel to put the tire/wheel out flush with the fender flare?...is it 16 x 8 wheel with 4" of bs or 3.5" maybe?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
im not 100% but i recall the factory wheels (alloys) being 16x7 not 16x8. I put on 16x8 moto metal 951's with a 4.5 in backspace and they stick out more than the stock wheels. Im not sure about your vibration problem. My advice is get rid of the wheel spacers, buy some 16x8 wheels, and some wider tires (285).
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
when i had stock wheels (16x7) with spacers (1.25") i liked the way they stuck out.

My new wheels without spacers stick out a little less but very close. They are 16x8 with 4"bs.

Dont worry about the vibration. Since youre getting new wheels see if the vibration goes away after you install them.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
try 16x8s with 4" backspace... you can also get into some 16x8s with 3.625" backspace if you want them to stick out a bit more...

only wheels that you can typically get in 2.5" or 3" backspace are black steel rock crawler wheels but in 15s...

alloys would be lighter
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
new and improved
bill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: billy
bill-e-boy's Tacoma Gallery
I'd really like to keep my factory "look"...I really like the factory wheels and the way it looks with spacers.....but from what I read, people ditch the spacers and get new wheels.

anybody have a 1" or 1.25" spacer on the factory wheel/same kind of setup?...do you get vibration with your spacers?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Quast is on a distinguished road

Name: Dustin
Quast's Tacoma Gallery
i have my stock wheels and 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers. my first suggestion would be to check all your spacers and make sure they are tight! 70-80 ft lbs i believe is what mine are set too. second balance your tires makes a huge difference i noticed slight vibs before my truck was balanced and aligned, now the only vibs i'm feeling are from my drive shaft the odd time due to its angle being off from my lift. for your steering i belive that wheelers has a steering column bushings kit. not to expensive and might help.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quast View Post
i have my stock wheels and 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers. my first suggestion would be to check all your spacers and make sure they are tight! 70-80 ft lbs i believe is what mine are set too. second balance your tires makes a huge difference i noticed slight vibs before my truck was balanced and aligned, now the only vibs i'm feeling are from my drive shaft the odd time due to its angle being off from my lift. for your steering i belive that wheelers has a steering column bushings kit. not to expensive and might help.
new wheels sounds easier to deal with... haha
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e-boy View Post
Question 1 - So if I bought a new set of wheels, cccould this solve the vibration problem?
Question 2 - Does this mean that right now I actually have 3” of backspacing?
Question 3 - Is there a possibility that a 1” spacer would give me less vibration?
Question 4 - To keep my stance the same, I would need a wheel with 3” of backspacing?
Question 5 - give me suggestions/opinions....what is the ideal wheel backspacing for a 16 x 8 wheel to put the tire/wheel out flush with the fender flare?...is it 16 x 8 wheel with 4" of bs or 3.5" maybe?

1) Doubtful. Get your tires road force balanced and your truck aligned.
2) Technically no. Backspacing is the measurement from the mounting surface of the wheel to the inside edge of the wheel. It's still 4.5". But, with the 1.5" spacer, your setup appears to be the same as a wheel with 3" BS.
3) See 1.
4) See 2
5) 16x8 with 4" BS seems to be pretty much in line with the fenders.